Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 12.3K on the ODO.

Ran some errands, then drove into work. When I was driving to work I noticed the CEL was on. Started up and ran on the way back from work with the CEL still on. A few hours later I go out (ironically enough) to buy an OBD2, but no dice. Lights and everything work and I get a click, but no start.

Car is bone stock. Can't be the battery because the battery is only a few months old (was replaced over the summer) and all of the lights work. Checked all of the fuses, those look okay. Nevertheless, I disconnected and reconnected the battery, but still same issue. Car ran fine the last few times I drove it.

Any ideas at all? I'm still under warranty, but it's going to be a huge hassle. I can't really be without my car without extended periods of time in the winter.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My first thought is that's its super cold up there and the oil may becoming too viscous. Did you notice the engine running hot on the previous drive when your CEL was on? What oil are you using? Is towing the car to the dealership an option and getting a rental?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My first thought is that's its super cold up there and the oil may becoming too viscous. Did you notice the engine running hot on the previous drive when your CEL was on? What oil are you using? Is towing the car to the dealership an option and getting a rental?
Nope no abnormalities with the engine or oil temps. It's garage kept too.

I'm working the tow and rental piece now. I'm under 25 without the ESP though so I'm not going to hold my breath on the rental. Insurance will tow it though.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
First, you can't say it's not the battery just because it's only a few months old... A bad ALT will damage a brand new battery pretty quick (not to mention that a year old car with only 12k miles should not need a new battery.

If it just clicks and doesn't turn over, that either going to be a problem with the starter, solenoid (usually part of the starter) wiring to it, the battery or a seized motor. The click should be the solenoid clicking. All these things are fairly easy to check with a simple DMM or volt meter.

Don't forget, since this is a manual trans, as long as the motor and ignition system is fine(and the battery and alternator are fine) you can start the car by push starting it to get it somewhere to get it looked at...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
651 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts