Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bone stock car, 39k. Just had brand new Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s installed last month.

Got on the highway today, up to 75mph and went to make a quicker than normal lane change and it felt like my wheels were about to fall off. I turned the wheel to the left and the whole front end felt floaty and lagging behind my steering inputs. Felt VERY unsafe (and felt like a swaybar issue to me).

Got it home and checked what I could.

-Tire Pressure good.
-Lug Nuts properly torqued
-Brand new tires
-No play/movement in the front wheels when jacked up
-End links connected and tight
-No oil leaking from struts
-No weird vibrations

I haven't hit anything (pothole or otherwise) and the car tracks straight (had it aligned last year). There might be a slight front end clunk noise over bumps but it's VERY faint and passengers do not hear it so it could just be me. Steering feels normal (meaning I don't think there's anything wrong with the power steering).

Basically the car drives fine until you turn the wheel at speed and then all of the nice planted tightness that the ST normal has, is GONE.

Anybody have any ideas before I take it in?

Here's photos of all four corners...

·
Super Moderator
8,937 Posts
My struts and shocks started feeling "off" a bit after 15,000 miles; handling was definitely declining. Switched to Bilstein B8's and Pro Kit springs and felt 100% better instantly.

Reactions: jwuonog

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Turbosmart BPV, Dual OCCs, Innovative RMM, JBR Intake & SS Arm, 245/40R18
789 Posts
So you're saying this car definitely needs stockers replaced per general shop revenue generation guidelines every 50,000 if not sooner.
Whereas some other makes might go 100,000 or more on stock struts? 😉😁

·
Super Moderator
8,937 Posts
So you're saying this car definitely needs stockers replaced per general shop revenue generation guidelines every 50,000 if not sooner.
Whereas some other makes might go 100,000 or more on stock struts? 😉😁
I'm saying mine was no longer up to my standards and I switched them out. I think the dampers were going out, slowly, and once changed the difference was apparent.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Turbosmart BPV, Dual OCCs, Innovative RMM, JBR Intake & SS Arm, 245/40R18
789 Posts
What's the best bang for buck struts above stock?

Rather than coilovers, would be nice to get variable damping or something adjustable on the fly if spending more, for a more split personality car.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Could very well be tired struts. I've heard from several sources that our struts have a frightfully low life expectancy. I myself have really been eyeing the Bilstein's, I'm at 45k miles and I can feel a bit of what you are describing, but I may just throw a new set of OE units on, as they are surprisingly affordable, as far as struts go.

While apples to oranges, I do recall the life expectancy of the OE SVT struts on the Contours also suffered a rather short, miserable life.

Edit: Incase you were interested. These are the part #s for the '16 ST
Front:
OE Ford Line:
CV6Z18124AT
CV6Z18124AS

Motorcraft Service Line:
AST24682
AST24683

Rear:

OE Ford line:
CV6Z18125L x 2

Motorcraft Service Line:
ASH24518 x 2

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I went to my local Ford dealer that always treats me pretty well. I explained what I felt and they had two techs who both own Focus STs go over it. Lifted it up and checked all the suspension that I checked yesterday and their conclusion was the same as mine- everything is good and tight.

They took it for a test drive and told me it felt completely normal. The service writer asked them to go out again so they did- the took it on the highway, did a few quick lane changes, all of it... came back and said the same thing. Nothing wrong.

So, I clearly look like a crazy person. This started when I got the new Michelins so I'm guessing they're to blame but I sincerely don't understand how they could feel this poor. I went from beat to **** Pirelli All Seasons which I never liked to essentially the top uhp all seasons and suddenly I hate the way the car feels at speed. The Michelins grip A LOT more than the Pirellis ever did (they grip as much as the stock summer Goodyears I've had) but increased grip shouldn't be causing me to feel like I'm driving my old 98' Explorer.

Weird.

·
Registered
448 Posts
This is going to sound insane. Reduce pressure to 30psi.

(Additional info: I may be one of the only people you will find that dislikes Michelins, my experience with them has almost always been improved with a slight reduction in tire pressure) I'm on Sumitomo HTR P0/3s right now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts