Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've had a manual Honda Civic for the last 10 years and I know old habits are hard to break but I'm driving this focus for a few months now daily and I find myself going into reverse quite often. At least a few times a week. Its not only embarrassing but dangerous.I am pulling up the shifter without realizing it. I once backed into the car behind me 3 times and getting stares from a passerby, I'm sure it appeared that I was intentionally bumping the car. . There is no reverse warning light but maybe is there a way to make it more difficult to put into reverse?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
yeah, you really just need to relearn how to drive it... its got a reverse lock out for a reason, I don't know how to make it any harder than that . if you're constantly pulling up on the reverse lockout, then I would work on a new way to grip the shifter... just got to be repetitive and consistent.

·
Registered
331 Posts
100% Driver mod in this case. This is my first manual to use a reverse lockout and not have the normal reverse where 6th gear is on this car and ive had no issues with it. What year is your car? I thought they all had back up cams but I guess maybe the 13-14's dont? Because thats a dead give away im in reverse in mine lol. And how about you try just gripping the knob and not the lock out ring? Also why are you lifting up on the shifter to put it in gear? only time you want to lift is to go into reverse this really isn't that complicated I didn't think???

·
Registered
46 Posts
Only problem I've had with reverse is putting it in sixth and trying to back out... That went away after a day lol

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
497 Posts
I don't really see how that could be happening...

Maybe get an adapter and a different shift knob that keeps your hand up top? My Porsche had reverse in the exact same spot as the ST but with no lock out. You would've had a field day...

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST2
789 Posts
wait, how is this even a problem? You are clearly pulling that reverse lockout. Did your Honda require you to do that to go into first or what?
When you put it in reverse you can see the rear view camera if you have one but I guess you don't.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
On my FoST reverse is very stiff, so I definitely know when I'm going into "R". Kind of funny when I went to test drive some STs'. I knew nothing of the reverse lockout feature. Not having driven a manual in over 20 years (last one being a Fox body '88 Mustang GT), I saw the lever and instantly thought, I'd better move the shifter over a bit so I don't start off in reverse. Well I was taking off in 3rd, the sales-boy (very young guy BTW) finally said, "oh you have to pull up on the thing under the knob to go into reverse". Yup, I felt like such a NOOB!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Sorry pal, I've driven hondas you do not need to 'pull up' to put it into first. If you cannot understand that you are pulling the reverse lockout this is 100% on you, not you mention the extra sideways spring load from going over to reverse.

You need a dose of vitamin 'we ain't co-signing your bull****' this is 100% driver fault and nothing else.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
when you go to shift into first, use an open flat hand on the right side of the shifter to slide it over, then still with an open hand, move your hand around to the back and push it forward. if you keep an open hand, there is no way you can grab the lock out rind to pull up. this should be the easiest habit to break.

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus ST3
230 Posts
I had a 07 Civic with Manual transmission. It was a 5 speed with reverse gear located on the bottom right. I never saw reverse lockout in a 5 speed manual. If anything, with old habits, it’d make more sense that you accidentally engage 6th gear when trying to go to reverse. What I’m saying is that since reverse lockout became a thing when manual cars started coming out with 6 speeed, how is this a habit in from your older car?

·
Premium Member
13,886 Posts
The reverse lockout has enough tension to know when your pulling on it. However if it has been modified I could see a problem there. My 05 Focus was a 5 speed with a reverse lockout. It didn't need it. In fact most short shifters for that car removed it. You could try to go from 5th into reverse and it would happen unless you let the car go to neutral first (centering the stick).

Sent from another galaxy.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
So on my old 13 STi (I was tuned and had a COBB AP) the AP had a canned (OTS) monitor for the Gear I was in. Not sure if COBB has that for the ST (never had the need to use it on either of my cars). I'll check and report back - but if it does (and you have one of course) then you could use that to check your gearing. I really think (and I'm sure at this point you know) you should practice not hanging on to the lockout though. Not sure if this is a contributing factor for you but there are a lot of do's and dont's when driving a manual car, and one of those is don't ride around with your hand resting on the shifter (IE only put your hand on it when you are going to change gears). (https://www.carthrottle.com/post/th...rest-your-hand-on-the-gearstick-when-driving/)

·
Registered
197 Posts
When I first got my ST I sometimes accidentally put it into reverse at stoplights and such because the little lockout just feels good and it's fun to play with. Of course, as soon as I did, the back up camera would come on and cover the video screen with whatever was behind me. Then I would think, "Ooh, I've got to quit playing with this thing", and I did break the habit.

Repeat after me, "I need to STOP playing with my little thing while I'm driving!"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.