Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a good show is your gs setup sticky, is there a way to get one for sth?

I’d love to see if there are any differences for example it seems like everyone in the gs thread is around 38f and 32r tire pressures

I am the only ST in my region who isn’t running a higher rear tire pressure vs the front haha....I would love to see what everyone whose set up with coilovers etc is doing for sth!

·
Registered
681 Posts
-3 degrees up front, -2.1 degrees rear camber, 0 toe and 40 psi up front and 28 psi in the rear on RE71Rs (yes i still roll all the way to the edges even with that much camber up front)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been running 38f 34/32r and like the feel....all like 8 other st cars focus and fiesta are running 32ish front and 40ish rear and telling me I have it wrong ha....they are faster then me but they also spin out more lol

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have been running 38f 34/32r and like the feel....all like 8 other st cars focus and fiesta are running 32ish front and 40ish rear and telling me I have it wrong ha....they are faster then me but they also spin out more lol
Its more of a feel/ tire wear thing. Ive run as low as 30 psi up front, but never that high in the rear with my current setup as the car rotates like a m**fer already (im sure youv've seen enough of my vids). I didnt like how the car felt with that low of tire pressures up front as it made the car feel super pushy. Not to mention the sidewall roll was no bueno even with the negative camber Im running.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Have any of you few STH crowd tried a non-square tire setup with an LSD? Like 265 up front and 245 or 235 in the rear, with the rear softened slightly so it would understeer with a square tire setup. I'm thinking that would allow the rear tires to heat up sooner & to a higher temp, so the handling balance wouldn't shift as much during subsequent runs.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Have any of you few STH crowd tried a non-square tire setup with an LSD? Like 265 up front and 245 or 235 in the rear, with the rear softened slightly so it would understeer with a square tire setup. I'm thinking that would allow the rear tires to heat up sooner & to a higher temp, so the handling balance wouldn't shift as much during subsequent runs.
Ooo, the silence is deafening! I'll take that as a "no, not tried".

·
Registered
681 Posts
Ooo, the silence is deafening! I'll take that as a "no, not tried".
I don't think many would as the 265 variant is already pricey, but hey when has "street touring" been budget friendly? LOL

·
Registered
681 Posts
Certainly not budget friendly to the FoST, but it sure beats what CAM competitors are spending!
Agreed. I use to hate how CAM was limited to pretty much a 200tw tire, but seeing what it costs just to be competitive in say CAM-C....no thanks I will play the SCCAs ST limitations game and hope that my skill continues to improve while in that limitation of rules.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm thinking that after this season, if I keep the car, then I'm going to make the jump over to STH.

I plan on concentrating on more HPDE next year, which GS isn't exactly conducive for. The only issue is that I don't plan on fully prepping the car, but here in my region it doesn't seem like STH is super competitive. I typically would win in my GS car against the STH crew.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'm thinking that after this season, if I keep the car, then I'm going to make the jump over to STH.

I plan on concentrating on more HPDE next year, which GS isn't exactly conducive for. The only issue is that I don't plan on fully prepping the car, but here in my region it doesn't seem like STH is super competitive. I typically would win in my GS car against the STH crew.
Yes, several STH car/driver combos that aren't faster than GS. In all of Oregon & Washington, there are only 2-3 competitive STH cars, which is about how many competitive GS cars there are these days. I'm actually more likely to find someone consistently running their STH car than their GS car though, as the competitive GS drivers car hop more frequently.

I'll take a look at STH in about 3 years if the FoST still is a competitive choice. An STH Audi TT Quattro looks real promising though.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yes, several STH car/driver combos that aren't faster than GS. In all of Oregon & Washington, there are only 2-3 competitive STH cars, which is about how many competitive GS cars there are these days. I'm actually more likely to find someone consistently running their STH car than their GS car though, as the competitive GS drivers car hop more frequently.

I'll take a look at STH in about 3 years if the FoST still is a competitive choice. An STH Audi TT Quattro looks real promising though.
Is the Focus still a competitive STH car nationally?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Is the Focus still a competitive STH car nationally?
Its probably driver dependent meaning that nationally a hot shoe might win/trophy, but an ok driver would have better luck in an equally prepped 15+ WRX, GTi, or Audi TT like @gemery said.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Right now, I tend to think that nothing's a proven STH car. There are some likely candidates, though. Last year's Nationals was the first year for STH, the weather played a wildcard, and the intercooler rule wasn't yet in action. As far as a FoST's National capability goes, we really only have Jonathan Lugod's STX performance to judge by. Nobody else that's a top driver has driven a fully-built FoST in national-level competition.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Right now, I tend to think that nothing's a proven STH car. There are some likely candidates, though. Last year's Nationals was the first year for STH, the weather played a wildcard, and the intercooler rule wasn't yet in action. As far as a FoST's National capability goes, we really only have Jonathan Lugod's STX performance to judge by. Nobody else that's a top driver has driven a fully-built FoST in national-level competition.
Yes and even this is hard to gauge as most of Jon's competitors were still driving the current top car in STX with very few "STH" type cars competing at the time. The class is still young and if doesnt get killed off like STF and STP, only time will tell what is the "go to" car for the class. In the mean time , just try your best to build with the given allowances for the class and have fun. Who knows, someone here might be the surprise top dog one day.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I notice is that East coast and Texas STH participation has been solid since Bristol last year, with enough competitors to make contingency requirements. West coast and Lincoln participation is... abysmal, with a maximum so far of 3 entries.

Alex Piehl with his 2014 Subaru WRX is the strongest contender this year, finally breaking below 4% of top event PAX time, but we've not seen any sign of Samuel Krauss with his 1995 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD, last year's Nationals winner.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I noticed that as well. The STH following seems to be better subscribed in TX and on the east. I'm not sure if the cost of dollar per mod on a boosted sh*t box vs an NA build like a toyobaru or miata has anything to do with it, but numbers dont lie on the national stage. Alex Piehl is an awesome driver who I've had the privilege of having as a co driver, and he is an alien driver IMO. Even he doesnt think he has the right car for STH, but I'm pretty sure if the conditions are right this year, he may be one to look out for at Nats in STH. As far as the Pros go, the FoST in STH trim will always be a tough one .

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm still fairly new to the sport (second season, though 135ish runs), so I wasn't aware that STH was a new class. When I first bought the car I planned on going into STH, though at first, not a soul was in the class. And GS was super competitive, like 4 other drivers who could reliably get into top 10 PAX, so I decided to just stick with GS. Now STH has 2-4 drivers in it, they're all over the map in speed, but at least there's someone else.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts