Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Keep in mind, depending on how low the car is setup, or how much negative camber you have (or lack there of ), and under suspension load when cornering, you may rub on an 18x9 +40 if you run a 265 width tire.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Where did you pick up your Groundforce GF7's
Ebay has a bunch, but there are other distributors.
Keep in mind, depending on how low the car is setup, or how much negative camber you have (or lack there of ), and under suspension load when cornering, you may rub on an 18x9 +40 if you run a 265 width tire.
Running Mountune clubsport suspension, which is less than a 2" drop, you'd def need to take the drop into consideration. No rub for reference in this setup.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Ebay has a bunch, but there are other distributors.

Running Mountune clubsport suspension, which is less than a 2" drop, you'd def need to take the drop into consideration. No rub for reference in this setup.
Another thing to account for is manufacturers sizing variances in the same size tire. Not all tires are created equally, meaning the 265 from Michelin might actually be narrower than one made from Bridestone or Nexen. Clubsports should be safe for most tires like the RE71R in that 265/35 variety (I've test fitted before when I had clubsports), but the Nexen Sur4 G are slightly wider in the same size and could rub on the fender up front.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well that answers that, I guess I've never owned a car where that was really a thing.

The thing with CAM is that since the class is so wide, that cars with all the allowable upgrades have a soft PAX, but cars that are barely out of Street have a pretty difficult PAX factor.

I've been saying that there should be a class like CAM for other cars, we can call it TUN for 'tuner.' It would be a great place to house all the cars people want to build for the street, but also want to autocross. As it sits now, you really have to be careful with how you mod your car unless you are OK with being wildly outclassed in PAX.

It's called SM. Or SMF for us.

Eventually the CAM guys will learn to drive and prepare their cars and their PAX will shoot up(or SCCA will clamp down on 1000+hp cars). But now 95% of the CAM guys could run STP except for 1 or 2 minor mods that don't really make them any faster.

I know of at least one CAM guys who is on his 3rd supercharged motor, his 4th custom suspension, and his 3rd or 4th oversized wheel and tire package. Surely big wings are not too far behind and that is usually when SCCA steps in and starts limiting the semi-unlimited classes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here is the latest from the SEB for the recommendation to replace intercoolers in STH. Would but nice to see this include an exception removing AGS. Write a letter! Changes currently set for 1/1/2020.

Street Touring Category
#23581 Please review Intercooler rule for ST

The STAC recommends the following rules changes to allow stock-location intercoolers for STH.

Modify 14.10.C as follows

” C. Induction allowances are as follows:
All - The air intake system up to, but not including, the engine inlet may be modified or replaced. The engine inlet is the throttle body, carburetor,compressor inlet, or intake manifold, whichever comes first. The existing structure of the car may not be modified for the passage of ducting from the air cleaner to the engine inlet. Holes may be drilled for mounting.Emissions or engine management components in the air intake system,such as a PCV valve or mass airflow sensor, may not be removed, modified,or replaced, and must retain their original function along the flow path.

STH - As utilized only on engines originally equipped with forced induction,induction charge heat exchangers (also known as “intercoolers” or“charge air coolers” [CACs]) may be modified or replaced and are unrestricted in size. Air-to-air CACs and radiators for air-to-liquid CACs must be cooled only by the atmosphere except for standard parts. Body panels, fascias, or structural members may not be cut or altered to facilitate CAC installation. Removal of vehicle components to facilitate installation is not allowed. Holes may be drilled for mounting. Factory boost piping may not be modified or replaced ”

·
Registered
723 Posts
Here is the latest from the SEB for the recommendation to replace intercoolers in STH. Would but nice to see this include an exception removing AGS. Write a letter! Changes currently set for 1/1/2020.

Street Touring Category
#23581 Please review Intercooler rule for ST

The STAC recommends the following rules changes to allow stock-location intercoolers for STH.

Modify 14.10.C as follows

” C. Induction allowances are as follows:
All - The air intake system up to, but not including, the engine inlet may be modified or replaced. The engine inlet is the throttle body, carburetor,compressor inlet, or intake manifold, whichever comes first. The existing structure of the car may not be modified for the passage of ducting from the air cleaner to the engine inlet. Holes may be drilled for mounting.Emissions or engine management components in the air intake system,such as a PCV valve or mass airflow sensor, may not be removed, modified,or replaced, and must retain their original function along the flow path.

STH - As utilized only on engines originally equipped with forced induction,induction charge heat exchangers (also known as “intercoolers” or“charge air coolers” [CACs]) may be modified or replaced and are unrestricted in size. Air-to-air CACs and radiators for air-to-liquid CACs must be cooled only by the atmosphere except for standard parts. Body panels, fascias, or structural members may not be cut or altered to facilitate CAC installation. Removal of vehicle components to facilitate installation is not allowed. Holes may be drilled for mounting. Factory boost piping may not be modified or replaced ”
Good luck. Not saying not to do it but 1 of my 3 letters that helped get the IC allowance on the SEB table addressed the AGS. They obviously said no, but if you can get substantial data, you might get something other than thank you for your input. On the bright side at least there is 1 intercooler that we can use. It just sucks that it's pretty pricey for what it is.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I saw today someone recommended that we include the ford performance parts install guide showing you have to remove the grill shutters to install an intercooler...best fact back up I’ve heard of so far, maybe it would help?

·
Registered
723 Posts
I saw today someone recommended that we include the ford performance parts install guide showing you have to remove the grill shutters to install an intercooler...best fact back up I’ve heard of so far, maybe it would help?
No. Just because its a factory performance aftermarket replacement part doesn't mean sh*t to the SEB. The fact that it removes a part that comes factory on the car won't sit well with them in the spirit of the "Street Touring" class. It won't hurt to try, but don't be surprised if they say "TYFYI". By the way, there are a few other manufacturers that have cars classed in STH that have it worse the the ST. Some of them require the replacement of intercooler piping in order to take advantage of the IC allowance, but because charge pipes are not legal, its a no go for them, just think about it that way.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
That was me and although i was semi-joking since i didnt think they would go for it, i do think it has some merit to try since you can bring the ford performance catalog and show them it is a quasi oem replacement part covered under "warranty" (albeit Ford Performance). Obviously some gentle massaging anf light finessing of the actual product info is needed, but it might be worth a shot!

On the other hand, maybe buy stock in Vortex since they will corner the fmic ST market for that racing series.. :money:

·
Registered
723 Posts
Either way, 1-1-2020 is when this is set for so that will give folks plenty of time to figure out what will work with the AGS whether it's something custom, or settling for the Vortech unit.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had kinda looked at the RS intercooler. It might squeeze behind the shutters but you would have to fab some mounting tabs.

We have a slight advantage over many of the cars in STH since we have a couple options that would or might work with the stock pipes. As elrod said somewhere else, many of the other cars require changes in charge pipes which is a no go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
723 Posts
I had kinda looked at the RS intercooler. It might squeeze behind the shutters but you would have to fab some mounting tabs.

We have a slight advantage over many of the cars in STH since we have a couple options that would or might work with the stock pipes. As elrod said somewhere else, many of the other cars require changes in charge pipes which is a no go.

The RS IC looks like a good alternative. It is only slightly bigger than the stock unit, but it's still better and with some creative fabrication, it looks like it might be easier to get the AGS to fit, not to mention they can be had for pretty cheap if you find one used. I saw a YouTube video of an ST owner doing a DIY with the RS intercooler and from the looks of how he mounted it, it appeared as if there was room for the AGS. If I can track one down for the right price, i might dive in and attempt to make it fit with the AGS.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The RS IC looks like a good alternative. It is only slightly bigger than the stock unit, but it's still better and with some creative fabrication, it looks like it might be easier to get the AGS to fit, not to mention they can be had for pretty cheap if you find one used. I saw a YouTube video of an ST owner doing a DIY with the RS intercooler and from the looks of how he mounted it, it appeared as if there was room for the AGS. If I can track one down for the right price, i might dive in and attempt to make it fit with the AGS.
I put an RS intercooler on my ST (got it for $50). Haven't tried to see if it would work with the AGS, though (I imagine I would need to re-do my mounting as I am using metal straps bolted to the crash bar).

·
Registered
723 Posts
I put an RS intercooler on my ST (got it for $50). Haven't tried to see if it would work with the AGS, though (I imagine I would need to re-do my mounting as I am using metal straps bolted to the crash bar).
Nice! Interesting enough, I found out that the Vortech unit is very close to the size of the stock RS intercooler (which also explains a lot of the chatter from the RS owners of stock unit being smaller than it appeared). This may be a breakthrough for ST owners running in STH if the AGS can remain in place with the RS intercooler.

According to mishimoto the stock RS intercooler is
24.2" x 7.6" x 3.2"
While CJPP has the vortech unit at 26" x 7" x 3 "

·
Registered
137 Posts
There’s a thread on here with some good pictures of an rs intercooler install. It appears the part of the ags that was hitting the intercooler was the bar connecting the upper and lower shutters. If that was removed and shutters pinned open???

·
Registered
723 Posts
There’s a thread on here with some good pictures of an rs intercooler install. It appears the part of the ags that was hitting the intercooler was the bar connecting the upper and lower shutters. If that was removed and shutters pinned open???

That is where the creativity would come into play.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts