Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Whats up guys?

My name is Nic and I am currently on deployment. I'll be coming home here in a few months and I have big plans for the ST when I do. I wanted to make a build thread so I can take you guys with me on my adventure since I'll be building from sub 300whp all the way to almost 450whp all in, hopefully, one weekend. This is a first time journey for me and I wanted to take you guys along for the ride to answer and questions and to possibly get help or advice from those who have been here. I will update this post as time goes on with new information.

The overall idea here is build a dope Auto Cross car. I also like to drag race for fun at my local strip but I don't take it very seriously and will not be building specifically as a drag car.

Here is a list of my current modifications, with links to the parts: (updated 14FEB21)

So, now that all that is out of the way, here are my plans. I'll be coming home from deployment to a healthy stack of cash and my plan is to start by making her fast. Speed is my first priority in this build so I'm gonna get the performance where I want it to be, then I will concern myself with appearance. Here is a list of everything I will be putting on immediately upon arriving home:
Wow. After writing out that list and taking the time to link everything I'm realizing how much work this install is going to be. Anyway, I will also be tossing in some Hella Horns supertones, and a stubby roof antenna. After everything on that list is squared away, and my tune is running well, I'll re-evaluate my wallet and look into a wide body kit. I had my eyes on the Battle Aero fender flares and some Work Wheels Emotion CR Kiwamis in white to go with them. Still figuring out wheel sizing logistics but I was thinking 18x10.5 ET15 and some 285/35ZR18 Nitto NT555Rs to go with them. I also would like to upgrade to some nice sway bars, a roll bar, seats, and harnesses.

So, that's the plan. What do you guys think? Any suggestions? I'm planning this several months out so there is plenty of time to change it up if you guys have good suggestions. Ill keep y'all posted.

If you are interested in more closely following my build, or following me as I try to conquer central Texas Auto Cross, follow my instagram @tclay1970

30 Jan 20 Update:
Decided to switch from the CP-E motor mounts to the JBR ones. They are a little bit stiffer but more importantly about $120 cheaper a piece. Updated links above.

31 Jan 20 Update:
Added the RS OEM brakes to the list. Decided to go with those instead of the Wilwood ones since they are so much cheaper. Going to have them powder coated red. I also added an LSD. As I said initially, power delivery is my #1 priority, so these two items might delay the purchase of wheels and fender flares a bit, but that's okay.

16 Nov 20 Update:
Alright guys so big changes here. Deployment got away from me and I failed to keep up with the post. That's on me. Some things changed around for me so I've updated the lists accordingly. I wasn't able to make everything happen all at once, like I had originally planned, but I did knock out quite a bit including finishing my bolt-ons and installing my turbo. I knocked that work out with a friend in about 12 hours over 2 days. I'm now in a position where I'm trying to decide what's next. I'm torn between sending it on the 2-port aux and making the power, and instead going the wide body route now and saving the rest of the power for later. Looking at about a $3500 price tag on the wide body all said and done wheels and all, and only about $1100 on aux fuel. What do you guys think? I'll have my ears out. Updated pictures coming soon.

14 Feb 21 Valentines Day Update:

OK so, I let this thread get away from me a bit. I made a lot of changes. Not too long after my last update my friend talked me into pulling the trigger on the aux fuel kit. I also decided to spring for some coil overs (no pun intended) as well as finally getting the wide body kit. I opted for a set of Avid.1 AV-06 wheels to go with the flares. Aux and GA are installed and currently being tuned, and the fender flares are on the way. It should be noted that the reason I decided to upgrade my clutch is because when JST turned my boost up to 28psi, it proved to be too much for the stock clutch and it failed while brake boosting. Hopefully all should be complete within a few weeks and I'll be able to put my car on the dyno. I am also looking forward to autocrossing my car this summer. The next thing I've got my eye on is one of these AUTO-BLiP things that essentially introduce automatic rev-matching to your car. Yes I know I could stop being useless and just learn to heel-toe but this is much easier and honestly a superior solution as tuned properly it should reduce wear on the drivetrain and will also allow me to focus solely on braking when approaching a turn. links to everything I added are on the mods list. Here are some pictures from my clutch install and transmission build:

27 Feb 21 Update:
I went to the shop today to test fit the wheels for the wide body kit. I was worried that adding 3 inches of poke would mean alot of cutting to the front of the fender, but to my surprise it actually fits as is. Will probably trim a little bit for some clearance. Obviously gonna have to cut the top of my fenders, but I'm thinking I might also raise the front suspension and maybe attempt to lower the rear. We'll see how it comes out. Pictures below. I am having to delete some of the older ones to make room for the newer ones.
20210227_153752.jpg
20210227_154601.jpg
20210227_154644.jpg

·
3,092 Posts
Sounds like a great plan to me! Post pictures and updates as you're thrashing on this thing, getting it built in a hurry!

Side note, there have been a lot of people trying to find a used Ford Performance exhaust on here. If you post it up and offer to ship it, you'll probably sell it very quickly.

Reactions: kmosgroberwork

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a great plan to me! Post pictures and updates as you're thrashing on this thing, getting it built in a hurry!

Side note, there have been a lot of people trying to find a used Ford Performance exhaust on here. If you post it up and offer to ship it, you'll probably sell it very quickly.
Thanks for the tip! I'll keep that in mind for sure the exhaust is in great condition only used for about 15k miles. I'd like to make a few bucks back on it if I can. I really like it and I love its sound. I wish I could keep it but 2.5" just wont cut it for my build unfortunately.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I make 410WHP on a catted, Mountune 2.5 inch exhaust with silicon boost hoses(2.25 to 2.5) on a conservative e40 tune by Brian at JST.

I think you’ll be able to achieve 450WHP easily on E40-E50 with 2-port and that turbo with your current exhaust configuration. It’ll become more of a restriction just beyond that. Looking forward to your build!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I make 410WHP on a catted, Mountune 2.5 inch exhaust with silicon boost hoses(2.25 to 2.5) on a conservative e40 tune by Brian at JST.

I think you’ll be able to achieve 450WHP easily on E40-E50 with 2-port and that turbo with your current exhaust configuration. It’ll become more of a restriction just beyond that. Looking forward to your build!
Good to know. I'm looking to squeeze every bit of power out of it as I can so I'll be upgrading anyway. Hoping to bust 450whp but we will have to see.

·
Registered
185 Posts
For sure. It’ll sell quick on here. Let me know when you put it up for sale. I don’t think you’d ship because most people don’t with an exhaust, but if you do I’d be interested.

The GTX2867R should be able to make 450whp. I’ve seen it hit 440whp with ideal fuel and temperatures. I don’t see 450whp being a tall order. Especially with sufficient timing on E50 and 27-28psi give or take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you haven't heard, there's a new autox category, Xtreme Street, that you might perfectly fit into. Specifically XS-A, with a minimum fwd weight of 2500 lbs. New Class Released for SCCA Solo Competition
Thanks for pointing that out! I hadn't seen it yet, and yeah, looks like its geared directly at me. Hopefully after I have some time to get geared into it, itll become an official class.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Are you looking at doing an LSD? If you are doing the clutch, you'd already be in the neighborhood. Also, are you going with the spec lwfw too or sticking the stock one? I have the 3+ with the lighter flywheel, no complaints. Well you get chatter but thats expected, i hardly notice it anymore

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Thanks for pointing that out! I hadn't seen it yet, and yeah, looks like its geared directly at me. Hopefully after I have some time to get geared into it, itll become an official class.
Xtreme Street is being launched similar to how Street Touring was launched in 1998 ('97?). In the end, Street Touring looks different to how it was initially conceived, but the principle that guided the category is still in place.

I have a Street Touring 2nd place plaque hanging on my wall from the '98 Seattle National Tour. The car's owner took first place, the first time he beat me in his own car! I remember very little about that car except it was a grey 4-dr Acura and I was coaching the owner & his wife that year.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you looking at doing an LSD? If you are doing the clutch, you'd already be in the neighborhood. Also, are you going with the spec lwfw too or sticking the stock one? I have the 3+ with the lighter flywheel, no complaints. Well you get chatter but thats expected, i hardly notice it anymore
I wasnt really looking at an LSD at least not initially. That seems like the sort of thing that wouldnt do as much on FWD as RWD. I was also gonna stick to stock FW for now. I think I'll change that eventually because spec makes a LWFW in the stock style, but for $400 it didnt seem all that necessary at the moment. Maybe when I change the flywheel I'll go in for an LSD.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'll be watching for sure. I don't have nearly that kind of cash to throw around, but you served your country and deserve it. many thanks. I'll be on the bleachers cheering you on.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll be watching for sure. I don't have nearly that kind of cash to throw around, but you served your country and deserve it. many thanks. I'll be on the bleachers cheering you on.
Thanks man! Thinking about kicking up a youtube channel or something when I get home. Who knows. Will definitely be posting on instagram though. Hit it up! @tclay1970

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I wasnt really looking at an LSD at least not initially.
You should if you're going to autocross it. The e-diff is totally useless at the power level you're going to and will cook your front brakes because you can't turn it off. Add the LSD and the e-diff will hardly have anything to do which saves your brakes.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I couldn't help but notice that you have NGK step colder plugs on your list of future mods. Does that mean you are basically stage 3 and custom tuned on the factory plugs?

Also, take a look at JBR's stubby antenna if you haven't purchased an antenna yet. I have it and the black aluminum looks awesome. You can get it with or without the logo as well. I originally had a Perrin shorty antenna, but the plastic looked tacky, the logo wasn't centered and it was more expensive.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You should if you're going to autocross it. The e-diff is totally useless at the power level you're going to and will cook your front brakes because you can't turn it off. Add the LSD and the e-diff will hardly have anything to do which saves your brakes.
Sounds good! I'll definitely look into it. JST sells one for like $650 so maybe I'll add it to the list. I'll read into it a little more. Side note however, doesn't driving with the ESC turned off disable the e-dif?

I couldn't help but notice that you have NGK step colder plugs on your list of future mods. Does that mean you are basically stage 3 and custom tuned on the factory plugs?

Also, take a look at JBR's stubby antenna if you haven't purchased an antenna yet. I have it and the black aluminum looks awesome. You can get it with or without the logo as well. I originally had a Perrin shorty antenna, but the plastic looked tacky, the logo wasn't centered and it was more expensive.
Yes! I am. I'm not particularly proud of it to be honest, but my car IS relatively new. It only has about 21k miles on it. No matter though it has been just fine and its getting new plugs next time I drive it.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Sounds good! I'll definitely look into it. JST sells one for like $650 so maybe I'll add it to the list. I'll read into it a little more. Side note however, doesn't driving with the ESC turned off disable the e-dif?

Yes! I am. I'm not particularly proud of it to be honest, but my car IS relatively new. It only has about 21k miles on it. No matter though it has been just fine and its getting new plugs next time I drive it.
you can disable the traction control by pushing the button once. Hold the button down to disable stability control.You can't disable the torque vectoring / e-diff which uses the brakes to corner.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you can disable the traction control by pushing the button once. Hold the button down to disable stability control.You can't disable the torque vectoring / e-diff which uses the brakes to corner.
I know what the e-diff is but I thought it was a part of stability control or st last was turned off with it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts