Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FOCUS ST
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

I have downloaded and read a guide for replacing steering wheel. I have also googled etc and just one final question:
When doing this, is 10 minutes enough to depower all systems (as in 10 minutes after disconnecting battery)?
Happy to do this at home, just don't really want to set off the airbag lol

Oh yeah...how much of a pain is the wheel to turn with everything off?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
7,199 Posts
Manufacturers usually tell you wait 30 minutes but I usually follow the 10 minute rule.

And it's hard to turn. Just gotta put some ass into it.

·
Super Moderator
11,510 Posts
Gents,

I have downloaded and read a guide for replacing steering wheel. I have also googled etc and just one final question:
When doing this, is 10 minutes enough to depower all systems (as in 10 minutes after disconnecting battery)?
Happy to do this at home, just don't really want to set off the airbag lol

Oh yeah...how much of a pain is the wheel to turn with everything off?
Once you disconnect the battery, turn on the headlights to speed the process.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
7,199 Posts
Where do we find replacement steering wheels? Mine has some wear on the top and its triggering my OCD.
Used on eBay or car-part, new from ford, or new from Zen.

Also Redline goods will re-wrap your steering wheel with stitched leather IIRC.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
I turned the headlights on and waited 30 minutes when I did my RS swap. I also put the front up on jack stands--makes turning the wheel back and forth much easier. I had to make a tool to release the airbag on my PFL.

Reactions: StanE and Grumbly

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
2,125 Posts
On the pfl cars, the airbag is a bit of a pita to remove from the wheel (much easier on fl design). Other than that, this is straightforward. If swapping out a pfl wheel for a fl wheel, you will have additional things to consider, including steering wheel control compatibility and cruise control compatibility. Both are solvable though - hit me up for further details.
In my case I swapped out a pfl wheel for a fl wheel with a custom wrap from Redline Goods (see photo). I do still have my almost mint pfl wheel and airbag available for anybody that might need a good one.

Car Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
2013 FOCUS ST
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I turned the headlights on and waited 30 minutes when I did my RS swap. I also put the front up on jack stands--makes turning the wheel back and forth much easier. I had to make a tool to release the airbag on my PFL.
Can you share details of this tool? Anything to make this job easier will help.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
I grabbed a couple of el cheapo 3/16" slotted screwdrivers and ground and shaped the heads until they fit well. I also had to cut most of the handle down for clearance. I was probably 1-1/2 hours or more, going back and forth to the grinder in my basement, to get the airbag to release when I did my swap. Totally worth it though

Reactions: Grumbly

·
Registered
2013 TS ST3, with some stuff done.
1,187 Posts
I was luck enough to find a brand new wheel on U.K. eBay at a very reasonable price, which I fitted some carbon trim, to get rid of the silver, I found it pretty easy, about a forty minute turnaround.
Speedometer Vehicle Odometer Trip computer Plant

1 - 12 of 12 Posts