Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new here and know this topic has been brought up many different times, however when reading through older similar threads I haven't been able to find an answer.

Obviously, the audio / bluetooth controls on the right of the steering wheel (Focus ST w/ NAV and microsoft sync) is counter intuitive. Since it seems no one has provided any details on swapping, does anyone know at least where I can find electrical diagrams for the controls? I've read the switches actually provide analogue resistive signals rather than digital on or off, meaning it'll be quite the pain to swap. But I'll give it a try. Thanks!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi guys, I'm new here and know this topic has been brought up many different times, however when reading through older similar threads I haven't been able to find an answer.

Obviously, the audio / bluetooth controls on the right of the steering wheel (Focus ST w/ NAV and microsoft sync) is counter intuitive. Since it seems no one has provided any details on swapping, does anyone know at least where I can find electrical diagrams for the controls? I've read the switches actually provide analogue resistive signals rather than digital on or off, meaning it'll be quite the pain to swap. But I'll give it a try. Thanks!
I was wondering the same.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,960 Posts
I used the factory steering wheel controls to activate things like electric air horn, rumbler, momentarily flash the lightbar on my patrol car. This was done with the blessing of Ford and done to show the command staff it was an option to keep the officer from taking hands off the wheel. I also hijacked the horn ring circuit so ever time the horn was press it changed the sirens tone, as well at the park signal that would kill the siren altogether when parking the vehicle. you can do a lot with certain switches as long as they do not operate over the CAN or LIN bus. However the switches that can be used have a very low amperage rating which will require the use of a relay and only switch to ground. While I cannot speak to the possibility on the consumer market focus I will be happy post the control diagrams and offer any help I can as time allows.

What year would you need?

J

*Update: I have looked over multiple years of Focus (all trim models) and based on what I'm seeing I would strongly advise against manipulating these switches. As the OP stated the switches do "provide analogue resistive signal " for each switch 1 - 5 which are currently an unknown value. You could use a micro controller or an arduino to manipulate these signals but as my old chief always so eloquently would ask "Yeah that sounds great and all, but is juice worth all that squeezing?"

Stay Safe
J

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,960 Posts
As promised. But again please be careful.

J

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts