Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

My steering rack is making a knocking noise every time i turn (there is play), I have looked at the inner and outer tie rods and they seem to be fine, and the issue seems to be inside the rack itself. I am looking to replace it, and would like to know if anyone has replaced or removed their steering rack and what are the steps to get it removed.

Thanks for you help in advance,

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Isnit above the subframe? Probably have to drop the subframe

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I do not have direct experience with it tho.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
You're in Dallas. Are you part of the north Texas st Facebook group? We have some techs that could be of good service to you.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Oh boy. That looks like some bull sh*t lol

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Like said above I'd check the upper strut mounts. That's a common failure lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help. I will get under the car this weekend and inspect everything again. I replaced the front springs and drove the car for a few days, then I took it for alignment. After the alignment was done is when I noticed the play on the steering and the knocking sound when rocking steering wheel fairly quick from left to right. lifted the car a couple of weeks ago and got under the car, and the noise seemed to be coming clearly from the steering rack, unfortunately I did this at night and quickly just to make sure the car was safe to drive and that the tie rod end nuts were properly tighten and they are. The fact that it coincides with me changing the springs opens up the possibility of being a strut issue. I will keep you posted. I will also post in the North Texas ST forum

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I'm mike Slagle on Facebook. I'm at Audi plano work wise so if you need some help diagnosing holler at me

1 - 10 of 10 Posts