Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately the driver's side of my 2016 ST was sideswiped by a school bus a few weeks ago. The body shop replaced the wheel, outer tie rod end, and quarter panel. They also aligned it after repair. However, now when I turn left, the steering feels a bit tighter and snaps back to center quickly. My initial thought was that the alignment wasn't done correctly, so I got it aligned again and feel no difference. I'm taking it back to the shop on Friday, but just wanted to hear some thoughts on this issue. Does this seem like an problem with the replacement tie rod end, or possibly signs of other damage to the steering rack? Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I'd say you've got other damage, probably to the rack and pinion.
that would be most unfortunate, aren't those things still like mega backordered?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Oh yeah, the racks are back ordered. Mine died in about 10 months of ownership and here it is three months later and not a peep on when the replacement will arrive. Not happy.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Lot of fear mongering going on here. It could be something as simple as a kinked sway bar or the bushings on the knuckle or a arm to be in backwards. Lets not get the guy worried, or worse, have him say something to the shop that he thinks is wrong, just for them to start looking for problems in the wrong places. Let him take it in, and lets see what the shop tells him.

Edit: It could also very well be the tie rod end isnt set the proper number of turns, or the tie rod itself could be bent slightly.

Reactions: Samh

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the responses. I took my car back to the body shop and they sent me to the Ford dealer to diagnose the issue. Ford dealer performed "IVD and SAS calibrations" because apparently ABS C0051:64 (steering wheel position sensor code) was present. Then they test drove it and said everything was good. After all that, the car feels a bit more normal (maybe?), but I still notice the issue. Again, it just feels like it takes a bit more force to turn the wheel left and when coming out of the turn, the wheel spins back towards center more quickly than when turning right. Its also more noticeable at higher speeds for some reason. I think my next step is taking it back to Ford and having them look specifically for damage to the steering rack and tie rod ends. I'll keep you updated!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts