Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Just bought a '15 ST with 40,000kms on it from a dealer and on the first day driving it, the steering column got super hot - so much so that you could barely touch it. A/C was on 22 degrees.

No smoke, no smell, just tons of heat coming from it.

Any ideas as to what could be the cause?

Cheers,
Haydos

NB/ It has been at the dealer for a week trying to sort a fix but they dunno what's going on...grrrr

·
Registered
825 Posts
Well, we do not know much about the cars made for Australia..?
BUT. Do you have heated front seats?
If so, maybe you also have a heated steering wheel? and the control is broken? or just set to high??

Also.. Do you mean the steering wheel? or the actual steering column? If the column,, that is really strange...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Only time I ever felt heat coming from the steering column was when my AGS were turned off from a tune when they were still on the car.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
that really should be as simple as pull the plastic cover off and see what is emitting heat... I'd be worried if a dealer took more than 20 mins to find the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys...

No heated steering wheel or seats (not an option in Oz)

Heat certainly coming from steering column and hot air is blowing onto the bottom of the steering wheel... Dealer has had the car for over a week now and can't diagnose the problem.

They pulled the steering column cover off but still have no idea...:furious::furious: I'm picking it up tomorrow to try and diagnose it myself.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Here's one thing to check:

If the previous owner did a symposer delete, there's a hole in the firewall where the symposer hose hooks up to deliver the noise into the cabin. The symposer delete kits come with a plastic plug that snaps in the hole to block it off.

Even if the stock symposer is still installed, the right-angle rubber hose that plugs into the firewall hole can easily get knocked out when removing the air intake tube (required to change #4 spark plug).

Pardon the expression, but IOW if your symposer hole is open, since it's located a little left of center, all the heat in the engine bay from the turbo (right below the hole) will find its way through the hole and towards the steering column.

Hope that helps,
Mark

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mark. Makes complete sense. I'll check that when I see the car tomorrow...

It was my understanding that the 2015 cars in Australia never had the mechanical symposer...only the one that goes through the cars speakers. However the hole may still be in the firewall....

I actually want to put the tubed symposer in as i like the intake sound that came in the pre-facelift cars, or alternately put an intake/filter on to increase the sound, but i'm not big on the woosh when shifting...any tips?

Cheers,
Jarrod

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Thanks Mark. Makes complete sense. I'll check that when I see the car tomorrow...

It was my understanding that the 2015 cars in Australia never had the mechanical symposer...only the one that goes through the cars speakers. However the hole may still be in the firewall....

I actually want to put the tubed symposer in as i like the intake sound that came in the pre-facelift cars, or alternately put an intake/filter on to increase the sound, but i'm not big on the woosh when shifting...any tips?

Cheers,
Jarrod
Dunno if you can retrofit; you need an electrical connector and programming to control the opening of the noise-on/noise-off valve that bolts to the side of the battery case.

The symposer rubber diaphragm "chamber" thingy that bolts to the intake manifold above the starter provides noise all the time. The tube from that thing then connects to that valve assembly (looks like a plastic version of an exhaust dump valve) bolted to the side of the battery case. There's an electrical connector there that controls when the valve opens (noise gets to the cabin) and closes (no noise). There is then another tube that snakes behind the HPFP and a 90-degree molded rubber tube that fits in to the hole in the firewall.

Some folks who like the symposer noise removed the control valve and duct taped the two sections of tubing together, so that the noise was on all the time. I just found the sound unnatural--especially when it would transition from on to off and vica versa. With a Green filter I get plenty of intake noise anyway and lastly I wasn't keen to have to worry about a rubber diaphragm rupturing and leaving me with no boost and the world's biggest vacuum leak.

Hope that helps and that you get your car sorted OK!

All the best,
Mark

·
Registered
29 Posts
The hole for the symposer in the firewall would be on the passenger side here in OZ so I doubt that is the culprit. Best be is drop off the column covers have a poke around.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked the area where a hole would have been for a symposer - no hole there at all.

Took off the steering column covers etc to see what it might be with no luck

The dealer is now gonna drop the engine to check where heat is coming in from and let me know next week. Ford AU has recommended to do this.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Hopefully this gets figured out, hot enough down there during your summers!

Reactions: Haydos

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally got it back from the dealer, 2.5 weeks later... turns out a plug covering the heater box was missing from the factory...

I'm ****ty that they had it for that long...but happy it was nothing major

1 - 12 of 12 Posts