Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I own both tunes and wanted to share my experiences for those that may be looking at either of these options. No dynos or datalogs. Just real life, in-car experience. I am not a professional race car driver, nor am I trying to be. I have been on a few tracks, but I am not a great driver. On the streets, I am an aggressive driver and will push the car to it's limits given the opportunity. :) This weekend, I decided to drive up and down Big Bear Mountain to compare the tunes. This is a nice windy road with a few long sweeping passing lanes at certain points. Here are my thoughts after about a 20 mile run for each.

Big-BearLake-Drive-Highway-330.jpg

Car Specs:
Green Filter
Miltek CBE
Steeda SSB
91 Octane

Unleashed Tuning:
First of all, Torrie is great and is very quick to respond and send over different tunes. Support is important and that is probably one of the many reasons why Unleashed has been so succesful here. So about the tune... The Unleashed v5 tune is aggressive and is very eager compared to the Steeda tune. Boost comes on quick and will really sit you back in your seat at WOT. The turbo sounds are definitely much more audible there's lots of flutter during partial throttle deceleration and audible WHOOSH of the BPV on higher RPM, quick deceleration. At full WOT, this tune does FEEL like it is putting out more power than the Steeda tune. In a 1/4 run with equal drivers and car, I would put money on this tune. However, I found that driving around in low RPM seemed a little bit touchy. Creeping into first gear at low RPM feels... different, it prefers a little more throttle at 1st gear engagement. At partial throttle mid RPM type driving, the powerband seems a little tricky to predict? Hard to describe without sounding too negative. The power just seems to be more on/off as opposed to smooth and linear. Now at full WOT, higher RPM shifting, it's very very eager and performs great. It IS a very fun tune to drive with.
AT THIS POINT this is the tune I would use for 1/4 mile runs or drag racing.

Steeda Tune:
Not sure why they don't get as much attention as the other tunes here, but I think they deserve more love than what I have seen on this forum. Steeda is however, slower about support and communication. Answering posts in their own Sponsor forum is a bit slow too. I would have to guess that they need more staff to dedicate to the Focus market if they want to be serious about it. Just my honest opinion. As far as the driving experience... At WOT, The Steeda tune does sit you back in your seat as well, but the Unleashed tune does seem like it pulls harder... at WOT. The Steeda tune does not put out the same turbo noises and the fluttering sounds that people seem to like. I have no idea how those sounds relate to the tuning, but it is a night and day difference between these 2 tunes. With the Steeda tune, I can hear the turbo spool but all the fluttering and BPV sounds are gone or very faint. One thing I need to stress is that this tune is VERY linear. I am much more confident pushing the car hard in the corners because the power is very predictable. The torque is there... seemingly at every RPM, ready and willing when you need it. This is a more driver friendly tune from top to bottom in my opinion. AT THIS POINT this is the tune I would use for Auto X or Track.

*Disclaimer:
I think both tunes are great and I hope to see how these tunes develop over time and with addition of other upgrades. I hope my honest review will not be taken personally, and both companies will still support modified tunes for me as I move forward. :p

I do plan on playing with some of the other tunes in the future, but this is what I have for now. Hope it helps someone!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks for the write up! I've also ran these two tunes and have similar mods minus catback. What you said about both tunes is spot on. Did you feel a difference at idle between the two and what about mpg?

·
Registered
188 Posts
So how do we get a tune that is both linear, AND as robust as the unleashed tune??? :D

Would those fluttering noises and BPV noises you mentioned have any negative long term effects on the turbo or engine? This is my first forced induction car, so I am very new to this.

·
The Mod with a Mouth
9,494 Posts
Interesting read.

Not sure why they don't get as much attention as the other tunes here, but I think they deserve more love than what I have seen on this forum. Steeda is however, slower about support and communication.
you answered why Steeda is lacking in the tuning department. A tune is more than just the device you buy, as you stated in the Unleashed section.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for your review. I have both tunes as well and your experiences are exactly the same as mine. I think that to get the best from Torrie's tune, you need to datalog your car in a variety of situations and send the results to Torrie for him to analyze. It is weird, but every engine is slightly different and with hard data, I have no doubt Torrie can adjust his tune to match your preferences. Don't expect a lot of explanation about what was changed, though. He keeps his craft top secret.

My problem is that I need to purchase a laptop computer to datalog, but have been holding off because I am cheap. Until then, I prefer the Steeda tune for everyday commuting, due to the low speed quirkiness of Torrie's OTC tune on my engine. But when I know I will be doing some spirited driving, nothing touches Torrie's tune for sheer fun.

·
Registered
599 Posts
So how do we get a tune that is both linear, AND as robust as the unleashed tune??? :D

Would those fluttering noises and BPV noises you mentioned have any negative long term effects on the turbo or engine? This is my first forced induction car, so I am very new to this.

Get Torrie's V5 aggressive tune (V5a) and you have it all. Very impressive

·
The Mod with a Mouth
9,494 Posts
Thanks for your review. I have both tunes as well and your experiences are exactly the same as mine. I think that to get the best from Torrie's tune, you need to datalog your car in a variety of situations and send the results to Torrie for him to analyze. It is weird, but every engine is slightly different and with hard data, I have no doubt Torrie can adjust his tune to match your preferences. Don't expect a lot of explanation about what was changed, though. He keeps his craft top secret.

My problem is that I need to purchase a laptop computer to datalog, but have been holding off because I am cheap. Until then, I prefer the Steeda tune for everyday commuting, due to the low speed quirkiness of Torrie's OTC tune on my engine. But when I know I will be doing some spirited driving, nothing touches Torrie's tune for sheer fun.
Dell Latitude C600 1 0GHz 40GB 512MB Laptop Win XP SP3 Cheap | eBay

Back when i was into data logging for fun i bought this exact model laptop for that one purpose with SCT. as long as you dont use it for anything else you will never have problems recording data

·
The Mod with a Mouth
9,494 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Thank you for the feedback of our tune and the comparison that you did. You took a lot of time and effort to do the comparison and the forum members will benefit greatly by it.

As far the forum response time ... these boards are a great way to get answers and help from Vendors and other forum members. We are on a lot of boards and we are constantly helping consumers with product & install questions. With that being said ... it will always be quicker to give us a call at 1-800-950-0774, use our instant chat feature on Steeda.com or to email me directly at [email protected]. I can get to my emails much faster than searching through the forums to see when a new question/thread gets started.

Let me know if I can ever help with anything in the future.

Best Regards,

TJ

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not trying to be a jerk, but I would just point out that Steeda was asked in its own forum in early July about whether there were any updates to their tune, and we have yet to get any information (up or down) about whether that is happening. I am very happy with the Steeda tune, but it does not appear that Steeda has any plans to update the tune, and will not customize the tune for your non-Steeda mods, like Torrie will do.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/steeda-autosports/7592-steeda-tune.html#post150989

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not trying to be a jerk, but I would just point out that Steeda was asked in its own forum in early July about whether there were any updates to their tune, and we have yet to get any information (up or down) about whether that is happening. I am very happy with the Steeda tune, but it does not appear that Steeda has any plans to update the tune, and will not customize the tune for your non-Steeda mods, like Torrie will do.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/steeda-autosports/7592-steeda-tune.html#post150989
You have to email Gus directly and work with him. He does not get as in-depth as Torrie as far as communication(which I think just comes down to being short handed), however he can and will make adjustments for you.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Yes, Gus is the one that makes adjustments and updates are always on going ... currently there is nothing major to release.

What mods are you referring to?

Best Regards,

TJ

·
Registered
123 Posts
Nice review. I agree with Steeda's tune being more linear. It also seems like a more refined and smooth tune, much better for someone daily driving the car as I do. The power is there at WOT, but it's also silky smooth when you're just cruising around.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts