Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use the Steeda Oil Separator 555-3717 on their 2015 or 2016 ST? Is it hard to get to when you have to drain it? Does it work well? Steeda has changed their website and I can't find the install instructions to read about it....

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Steeda said they updated it for 2015+ with the flow sensor but [email protected] could not tell me how it was updated other than different install instructions to "accommodate" the sensor. I just went with the CFM breather and that pretty much eliminated/minimized oil getting sucked into turbo. Now my turbo inlet is dry to the touch around the valve cover vent.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been getting the same experience lately....... can't get good info from them either. I was told the difference in the 14- and the 15+ kits were where the hoses attach, and maybe one having a right angle fitting different. I was also told the catch bulb/can wasn't mounted, but yet just hanging by the hoses.

Since one can't view the PDF files of the install instructions right now, it's kinda like buying it blind with being able to compare and see details...... Therefore why I asked for input from others that might be using it.

Thanks for your feedback!

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
I have been getting the same experience lately....... can't get good info from them either. I was told the difference in the 14- and the 15+ kits were where the hoses attach, and maybe one having a right angle fitting different. I was also told the catch bulb/can wasn't mounted, but yet just hanging by the hoses.

Since one can't view the PDF files of the install instructions right now, it's kinda like buying it blind with being able to compare and see details...... Therefore why I asked for input from others that might be using it.

Thanks for your feedback!
No problem, yep the Steeda bulb (I like that description) just hangs off the hose. JLT is supposed to come out with a new version of their valve cover catch can for 2015+ but I've not seen an update. Do you already have a can between the pcv valve and intake manifold? That catches a lot more. You can take off intake pipe to check for an oil slick to see how much your valve cover is venting into your turbo.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
I currently have nothing....... So I might check that.
PCV is designed to evacuate under idle towards intake manifold w/ fresh air coming from intake into valve cover. Under boost PCV valve closes, but if crankcase pressure still becomes excessive only place to go is backwards out the valve cover. With PCV valve closed there isn't a "vent" open, so it will be less than what is evacuated to manifold under idle. So a can on the PCV valve-to-manifold side will see more condensed fluid than one on the valve cover. CFM breather gives another place for crankcase to vent under boost, hopefully maintaining direction of airflow into valve cover. It's been discussed ad nauseam on catch can threads but hopefully I saved you some time w/ my summary.

Edit: I'd also put a good checkvalve right near intake manifold at the end of the hose coming from catch can, so can doesn't get pressurized and to protect the weaker stock PCV valve, which a few reported got stuck open. None of this was discovered by me other than by searching the forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts