Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently at Stage 1 with just a Green filter and Cobb AP, but will be buying a full intake & intercooler soon to go to Stage 2. My question is, I like the overness quietness of my stock exhaust since it's a daily driver and I have a family, but do I really need a catback to go to Stage 3, or will just a downpipe suffice? I'd love to keep the car as quiet/stealthy as possible, and I thought the stock CBE is pretty high flow as it is, but maybe not enough for Stage 3?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Currently I have a MP275, and am looking for for a catted downpipe and a tune when my warranty expires, but I think I'll keep my stock exhaust.

I'm not an expert and am happy to be told I'm wrong, but from what I understand the stock exhaust doesn't really become an issue until +300hp.

What even is Stage 3 anyway? Build the car you want and get a tune for the parts

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'm currently at Stage 1 with just a Green filter and Cobb AP, but will be buying a full intake & intercooler soon to go to Stage 2. My question is, I like the overness quietness of my stock exhaust since it's a daily driver and I have a family, but do I really need a catback to go to Stage 3, or will just a downpipe suffice? I'd love to keep the car as quiet/stealthy as possible, and I thought the stock CBE is pretty high flow as it is, but maybe not enough for Stage 3?
You're fine with just a downpipe for stage 3. Go for a catted DP if you really are trying to keep it stealthy as possible (keeps the noise similar to stock)

Currently I have a MP275
Since you're all Mountune, their turboback exhaust is very quiet and more free flowing all together just FYI. Definitely not necessary, but the Mountune exhaust is most similar to stock for sure. You can stick with their MR300 tune at that point if you wish.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I`ve got the Mountune cat back. It is quiet when coasting but roars to life once on the gas.
Honestly, I`m with OP on the quiet of the oem exhaust. I miss it at times, no need to announce to the world everytime you blip the throttle.
Do a sports cat, not catless, and keep the oem cat back.

·
Super Moderator
9,539 Posts
The factory exhaust will work fine; you can get a down pipe and tune for "stage 3"; I would remove the factory resonator for better flow. The input of the resonator is 2 1/2 inches and the output is 2 1/4 inches and then the tubing goes back to 2 1/2 inches prior to the rear suspension. Replace the resonator and the 2 1/4 tubing with a piece of 2 1/2 for a more free flowing exhaust that is still quiet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What even is Stage 3 anyway? Build the car you want and get a tune for the parts
In this case, the Cobb Stage 3 tune. I'm sure they could work something out if I don't get a CBE, but I didn't want to pay for someone else to do a custom tune for the AP if I don't have to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In this case, the Cobb Stage 3 tune. I'm sure they could work something out if I don't get a CBE, but I didn't want to pay for someone else to do a custom tune for the AP if I don't have to.
Buy an AP from a tuner, the little extra you'll pay for one of their tunes is worth it over the OTS Cobb maps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Buy an AP from a tuner, the little extra you'll pay for one of their tunes is worth it over the OTS Cobb maps.

Already bought my AP... :disappointed:

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I’m currently at Stage 3, and am running the Mountune catback. At first I found it was way too quiet. After adding the CJ Pony Parts catted dp the sound opened up nicely. It’s not loud, but fairly muscular sounding. I tried the AWE Touring and thought that got a bit ricey at WOT.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts