Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had to replace their starter? What were the symptoms leading up to it (if any) or was it just outright failure/would not start? I have had a random issue where I go to start the car and the starter doesnt engage fully, it makes a fast grinding type noise until I release the clutch. This has happened about five times over the last 5-6 weeks or so. Every time, the car starts fine the second try. My car is a '13 with about 42k miles. That being said, i would rather not get stranded and want to deal with this before winter.

I haven't found many threads on the topic. The best one is this one with the shop manual, not much detail though. Looks like i may need to remove my intake manifold to have easier access. However, there isnt any conversation on what lead to them needing to replace the starter. Also of concern, the shop manual linked there says to inspect the fly wheel, i hope i dont have a fly wheel issue.

The one thread I found that did make me worry was this one, spec stage 3+ lightweight fly wheel. However, it seems they had a total failure soon after install and they were not able to start the car. My spec3+ and fly wheel have been installed for years now without issue and mine start fine on the second try. So my non-mechanic/educated guess points at the starter being the culprit.

Any feedback from the collective would be appreciated, thanks in advance

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
1,842 Posts
Has anyone had to replace their starter? What were the symptoms leading up to it (if any) or was it just outright failure/would not start? I have had a random issue where I go to start the car and the starter doesnt engage fully, it makes a fast grinding type noise until I release the clutch. This has happened about five times over the last 5-6 weeks or so. Every time, the car starts fine the second try. My car is a '13 with about 42k miles. That being said, i would rather not get stranded and want to deal with this before winter.

I haven't found many threads on the topic. The best one is this one with the shop manual, not much detail though. Looks like i may need to remove my intake manifold to have easier access. However, there isnt any conversation on what lead to them needing to replace the starter. Also of concern, the shop manual linked there says to inspect the fly wheel, i hope i dont have a fly wheel issue.

The one thread I found that did make me worry was this one, spec stage 3+ lightweight fly wheel. However, it seems they had a total failure soon after install and they were not able to start the car. My spec3+ and fly wheel have been installed for years now without issue and mine start fine on the second try. So my non-mechanic/educated guess points at the starter being the culprit.

Well it does sound like your starter pinion gear is not correctly engaging the ring gear on the flywheel. This could either be the starter pre-engagement solenoid not pushing the pinion all the way into the flywheel teeth, or there could possibly be damage to the flywheel teeth themselves (the first could lead to the second). Probably the least expensive route is to replace the starter and see if that fixes the problem before digging deeper.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, i went ahead and ordered a new starter... hopefully its the reason and didnt cause any other issues

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

Dont have to rremove intake two nuts holds hose brackets. Then remove the two bolt with a deep 13. Two connector nuts on the back
and its out. Make sure to disconnect battery.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dont have to rremove intake two nuts holds hose brackets. Then remove the two bolt with a deep 13. Two connector nuts on the back and its out. Make sure to disconnect battery.
youre saying if i can just feel down there for the two nuts with a deep socket, i can get it out without having to move anything else out of the way? I have the replacement starter on hand, just need to find the time to tackle this. And yes, battery will be disconnected prior to starting this.

It just looks real tight in there but ill see what i can feel around for before trying to make more room by pulling stuff.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
It looks tight. But once you take the nuts holding all the hose bracket .you will be able to see the bolts better.there are studs on top of the two starter bolts that hold brackets that hold the hoses and wires...its easier if you have a cordless milwakuuee ratchet..

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Once you do it. You be like...really.once you pull the two bolts you can lift the starter up and get to the two connection wires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Appreciate this tread is a little old now, so may not get viewed, but before I start another...
New to the forum, looking for tips to replace a starter motor on a 2017. It looks tight, but will the above advice for the 2013 be the same for a 2017?

·
Super Moderator
10,092 Posts
Appreciate this tread is a little old now, so may not get viewed, but before I start another...
New to the forum, looking for tips to replace a starter motor on a 2017. It looks tight, but will the above advice for the 2013 be the same for a 2017?
The engines are the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts