Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got fed up with my charge pipe constantly blowing off. Figured I will upgraded the intercooler. I just bought a Depo Racing FMIC and was wondering if its safe to go with a COBB Stage 2 tune. Mods up till now are as follows:

-Accessport
-Cobb Rear Motor Mount
-FMIC on the way
-Stock Exhaust

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
Do it. Factory exhaust flows fine unless you have a big turbo.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
It's your car, if you aren't patient and want to run a tune for something you don't technically have that's your own risk bro. I personally waited, but it probably won't damage anything. Just don't expect the car to run the way a normal Stage 2 OTS car would

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Intended mods with COBB's stage 2 OTS are intake (probably just a hi-flow filter at that) and intercooler. Should be good with just that. I have an intercooler, intake and RMM and use Stage 2 OTS. I have no issues to report. Upgrading your exhaust (without a downpipe) doesn't do anything except increase sound anyway.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Do it. Factory exhaust flows fine unless you have a big turbo.
Let me fix that for you. Do it. Factory exhaust flows fine.

I am big turbo stock exhaust. 3" dp.

I mean, you are right, but at like 400whp it is a bottleneck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ran similar before I did anything to my exhaust...I was protuned, however. I didn't use the COBB OTS Stage 2.

Wait until you get the FMIC before you do stage 2 though..
Yeah I wasn't gona load the stage 2 map until I got the intercooler installed. Thanks for the input everyone!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Let me fix that for you. Do it. Factory exhaust flows fine.

I am big turbo stock exhaust. 3" dp.

I mean, you are right, but at like 400whp it is a bottleneck.
It's fine on big turbo as in it will work and you will make more power than stock turbo but you are missing out on a fair few hp. I had 3 inch down pipe, stock exhaust with only res delete and magnaflow high flow 2.5 inch muffler when I first installed my gtx2867r. I then got a full 3 inch back (already had down pipe) with magnaflow 3inch to 2X2.5 inch exit and on the same tune I gained 17hp.

So yes on big turbo it is fine if you don't mind losing close to 20hp, and that is on 93 and around 330whp (was 330 now showing around 350whp). To me it's a no brainer on BT, if you don't mind the noise when you get on it then close to 20hp gain can be had for a couple of hundred.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Really? That much that low? (330 low lol) I stand corrected. Who said it was good until 400hp? I thought it was a reputable tuner. Oh well anyhow I still feel like on a stock turbo it's a noise maker and if you want the noise, awesome! I will be going to a new dp and new exhaust in the spring, mine is pretty rusty at the junction after the dp.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Really? That much that low? (330 low lol) I stand corrected. Who said it was good until 400hp? I thought it was a reputable tuner. Oh well anyhow I still feel like on a stock turbo it's a noise maker and if you want the noise, awesome! I will be going to a new dp and new exhaust in the spring, mine is pretty rusty at the junction after the dp.
Theoretically fine at 400whp and maybe in practice but you would probably be loosing 30+whp by that point. Remeber the stock cat back is 2.5 inch for about 1.5m then goes down to 2.25 inch and even 2 inch over the axle. Ever heard of anyone running 400whp on a 2 inch section of exhaust that doesn't have an external waste gate. If you have an external wastegate then it won't matter as much. But from what I have seen 400whp on stock cat back would have so much back pressure and would be loosing out on a huge chunk of power.

Also the tune who said 400whp might have been using an EWG so it didn't bother the flow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts