Ford Focus ST Forum banner
141 - 160 of 387 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,951 Posts
I just ordered the PowerMax turbo today with a TurboSmart IWG75 internal wastegate. Can't wait to install it!

I have a TurboSmart Kompact BOV already installed on my ST... Does anyone know if I will need to get the focus RS spring?? PandaMotorsports website says this about the TurboMax....
  • "This turbo uses a Focus RS (2.3L) BOV. If you choose to upgrade the included OEM style recirculating valve, you must use a Focus RS BOV."
Does this mean I will need to install the stiffer focus RS spring in my Kompact BOV? I am a bit confused by this...
No. The ST BOV will not physically fit the PM.
You will need to either buy a one for the RS or block it off entirely and upgrade the charge pipe to use an external BOV.

The end result was, and correct me if I'm wrong @TurboGT was to keep the factory WGA and upgrade the BOV?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·

·
Super Moderator
10,054 Posts
I just ordered the PowerMax turbo today with a TurboSmart IWG75 internal wastegate. Can't wait to install it!

I have a TurboSmart Kompact BOV already installed on my ST... Does anyone know if I will need to get the focus RS spring?? PandaMotorsports website says this about the TurboMax....
  • "This turbo uses a Focus RS (2.3L) BOV. If you choose to upgrade the included OEM style recirculating valve, you must use a Focus RS BOV."
Does this mean I will need to install the stiffer focus RS spring in my Kompact BOV? I am a bit confused by this...
Pretty sure it means you will need a new valve all together, one for the RS.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Interesting, I can either return the IWG or get a different BOV/ Recirc valve...
Yes, @SSgtjrobertson thats correct.
@DJFreshlySnipes you would have saved some money if you'd Read my post.
LOL I am not good at reading apparently... I was under the distinct impression that the only difference between the Kompact Shortie Dual Port BOV for an ST & RS was the spring inside (a pink spring for the RS).

I went back and re-read everything and now I am even more confused... I'd like to say off the bat that I do not know much about how the turbo system works, this is my first turbo mod. With that in mind, I noticed you said you upgraded the plastic bypass valve but in the pics it is installed directly onto the turbo (which is why I thought it was a IWG). Is that unique to the RS design because when I installed my BOV I installed it behind my front left wheel where the oem valve was?

In the video you posted, where is that fluttering sound coming from? I always thought that noise was a BOV...

So if I am to use the TS IWG I either need the Ford Racing BPV or an RS specific BOV? And you recommend a BPV and not a BOV right?

so confused. I appreciate everyones assistance on this, I have never dove this deep into turbo design.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,951 Posts
Interesting, I can either return the IWG or get a different BOV/ Recirc valve...

LOL I am not good at reading apparently... I was under the distinct impression that the only difference between the Kompact Shortie Dual Port BOV for an ST & RS was the spring inside (a pink spring for the RS).

I went back and re-read everything and now I am even more confused... I'd like to say off the bat that I do not know much about how the turbo system works, this is my first turbo mod. With that in mind, I noticed you said you upgraded the plastic bypass valve but in the pics it is installed directly onto the turbo (which is why I thought it was a IWG). Is that unique to the RS design because when I installed my BOV I installed it behind my front left wheel where the oem valve was?

In the video you posted, where is that fluttering sound coming from? I always thought that noise was a BOV...

So if I am to use the TS IWG I either need the Ford Racing BPV or an RS specific BOV? And you recommend a BPV and not a BOV right?

so confused. I appreciate everyones assistance on this, I have never dove this deep into turbo design.
The difference between a BPV and a BOV is that the BPV releases the pressurized air back into the turbocharger inlet (think closed loop).

The BOV takes either a portion of that air (or all of it depending on the manufacturers design) and vents it out into the atmosphere. That is the audible "whooshing or barking" sound that can be heard when the throttle plate closes under boost.

The "stuttering or gurgling" sounds that can be heard is the compressor surging.

Before you slap that new turbo on take some time to really learn about how turbocharger's work.

Here is a link to some free training that Garrett provides.

J

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
@DJFreshlySnipes When you installed that bov behind your wheel, you were actually installing it into your turbo housing.
Here is a picture of my Ko3. What I have circled is my BOV. It's attached directly to the compressor side.
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Machine Motor vehicle

The RS and ST valves are a different size, that's why you can't use them.

·
Registered
2015 Ford Focus ST
487 Posts
@DJFreshlySnipes When you installed that bov behind your wheel, you were actually installing it into your turbo housing.
Here is a picture of my Ko3. What I have circled is my BOV. It's attached directly to the compressor side.
View attachment 394287

A box of Garlic powder? What could you possibly doing that you need a box of it?

Reactions: 20focusSTdriver17

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
A box of Garlic powder? What could you possibly doing that you need a box of it?
Hey man, I love me some sgetti.
Gotta have a whole ass box because this car is spicy!!
(Proceeds to tie noose)😅

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
View attachment 394287

Ahh interesting. I appreciate the explanation. That makes more sense now.

I just received the turbo and IWG today! When I get a new BOV/BPV, can it be installed when the turbo goes in or does it have to be installed externally like I did with my current BOV (from behind the passenger wheel)?

Also, anyone got a recommendation for an installer in the San Diego or Orange County area??

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Skykri

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
The difference between a BPV and a BOV is that the BPV releases the pressurized air back into the turbocharger inlet (think closed loop).

The BOV takes either a portion of that air (or all of it depending on the manufacturers design) and vents it out into the atmosphere. That is the audible "whooshing or barking" sound that can be heard when the throttle plate closes under boost.

The "stuttering or gurgling" sounds that can be heard is the compressor surging.

Before you slap that new turbo on take some time to really learn about how turbocharger's work.

Here is a link to some free training that Garrett provides.

J
Good call, I am doing a deep dive on turbos at the moment and I’ll check that video out. Thanks for sharing. I just started doing mods and maintenance myself during covid so I am pretty new to the intricate details of all the systems.

In the turbo install videos I have seen most of then make that sound, but isn’t compressor surge bad for the turbo??

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Good call, I am doing a deep dive on turbos at the moment and I’ll check that video out. Thanks for sharing. I just started doing mods and maintenance myself during covid so I am pretty new to the intricate details of all the systems.

In the turbo install videos I have seen most of then make that sound, but isn’t compressor surge bad for the turbo??

Its kind of a different sound, a BOV will sound like air being released, surge sounds like surge.

Honestly if i didn't have to for my ATP kit I'd be running a BPV, i think its a more mature sound, you can still hear it in the cabin anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
Ahh interesting. I appreciate the explanation. That makes more sense now.

I just received the turbo and IWG today! When I get a new BOV/BPV, can it be installed when the turbo goes in or does it have to be installed externally like I did with my current BOV (from behind the passenger wheel)?

Also, anyone got a recommendation for an installer in the San Diego or Orange County area??

Thanks again.

I installed mine before putting the turbo back in. Much easier IMO

Do it yourself! It's fun. Just budget like 3, 4 hour days to get everything buttoned up taking your time.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,951 Posts
Some surge is normal, but an improperly sized turbocharger surging under load is an issue. Just go through the training and it will give you an idea of what I'm taking about. If I were to get into sizing and maps it would be kinda overwhelming. And this isn't really that place for that discussion anyway

Reactions: DJFreshlySnipes

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Its kind of a different sound, a BOV will sound like air being released, surge sounds like surge.

Honestly if i didn't have to for my ATP kit I'd be running a BPV, i think its a more mature sound, you can still hear it in the cabin anyway.
Yeah good call, I'm leaning towards a gfb dv+ Bypass Valve. I am getting pretty tired of my TurboSmart BOV, it sounds like a whale breeching and goes off literally whenever I touch the throttle. I know that is fixable via true vacuum source but I haven't gotten around to that yet. I'm just looking for the Fluttering sound in the OP's video... I love that flutter. I don't need to hear the rest of it.
I installed mine before putting the turbo back in. Much easier IMO

Do it yourself! It's fun. Just budget like 3, 4 hour days to get everything buttoned up taking your time.
I wish I could but I don't have a lift and I have no clue what the hell I'm doing... lol

I am finding it difficult to even find a shop here in SD that will do it.

I've done my own installs thus far with my intercooler, shift bracket bushings, RMM... etc but this is beyond my current install level.

Some surge is normal, but an improperly sized turbocharger surging under load is an issue. Just go through the training and it will give you an idea of what I'm taking about. If I were to get into sizing and maps it would be kinda overwhelming. And this isn't really that place for that discussion anyway
I will check it out, I appreciate the link.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
I wish I could but I don't have a lift and I have no clue what the hell I'm doing... lol
Did mine on jackstands, just the front wheels one notch up!
And I watched a couple of YouTube videos, I'm an expert now. Hahaha

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Did mine on jackstands, just the front wheels one notch up!
And I watched a couple of YouTube videos, I'm an expert now. Hahaha
Bold move lol. I’m not that confident in my abilities

·
Registered
152 Posts
Bold move lol. I’m not that confident in my abilities

I did it myself. Took a most of the day. I didn't enjoy it. Tooling wise. It's not that bad.

I got a quote from a local shop for around $400. My day job is working on aircraft. So my ego / refusal to let anyone else work on my car kept me from going that route.

I would check the good old Facebook for a ST group in your area. They will point you in the right direction for a local shop.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,951 Posts
Here's s stupid question, but is everyone replacing the oil return filter?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
I know theres a strainer in the block in the oil feed passage. If that's The one you're talking about, no i didnt.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
What is the part number for that? I couldn't find it anywhere so I didn't replace mine either

141 - 160 of 387 Posts