Ford Focus ST Forum banner
121 - 140 of 387 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Focus ST3
112 Posts
Just listened to the video. Pardon the commentary, but I swear that thing sounds like the turbo on a tuned PowerStroke 6.7L (only a little higher pitched). I like it. (y)

Reactions: TurboGT

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Just listened to the video. Pardon the commentary, but I swear that thing sounds like the turbo on a tuned PowerStroke 6.7L (only a little higher pitched). I like it. (y)
I took the airbox lid off for the video only. I can hear it through the closed box, but its more muted. I love the sounds this turbo makes, though, and agree the flutter sounds like a 6.7, especially A gen 1 with the double-wheeled turbo. Those things are talkative .

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·

·
Super Moderator
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
You try any 4th gear logs in vdyno?
No, i haven't. Probably should get out at some odd hours and try a few. I also haven't Run 93 since being tuned on e30. Which im more concerned About the 93 numbers than e30 numbers.

·
Registered
152 Posts
No, i haven't. Probably should get out at some odd hours and try a few. I also haven't Run 93 since being tuned on e30. Which im more concerned About the 93 numbers than e30 numbers.
I'm curious to see if you get similar torque number as I did. I got a little over 400. I did run the heat on full blast to get the coolant temp below 190 before the log. I'm done tuning on both fuels. So now I'm just toying with it.

·
Super Moderator
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
I'm curious to see if you get similar torque number as I did. I got a little over 400. I did run the heat on full blast to get the coolant temp below 190 before the log. I'm done tuning on both fuels. So now I'm just toying with it.
Alan went easy on the torque (ignition timing ramp) per my request on both tunes. I never want to run anything other than a stock clutch And that 400+ tq that panda got out of this turbo would be tearing up driveline components faster than a tuned k03.

My initial desires with this turbo was strictly more power on the right side of the dyno graph over stock. Because this turbo turned out to be a k03-esque torque monster, i wanted that tamed some.

Can you send me your final 93 and e30 logs so i can Compare?

Also care to share your vdynos with us here?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Alan went easy on the torque (ignition timing ramp) per my request on both tunes. I never want to run anything other than a stock clutch And that 400+ tq that panda got out of this turbo would be tearing up driveline components faster than a tuned k03.

My initial desires with this turbo was strictly more power on the right side of the dyno graph over stock. Because this turbo turned out to be a k03-esque torque monster, i wanted that tamed some.

No problem. When I get home I'll send them over.

·
Registered
152 Posts

I'll post em up too.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sorry for the delay. I got really sick yesterday after lunch. I'm still feeling under the weather today. Unfortunately working ridiculous hours since people are flying a lot.

Here is a the one I thought was 4th gear. I was wrong it was 3rd. The other, for comparison is a local FoST that is FBO and running e30. All my runs are on the same road, same lane, and pretty much same atmospheric conditions. Hot as balls Florida. The tire size difference is due to me running 245/40-18's instead of stock size. Fun fact. I was going through my datalog on this one trying to figure out the odd curve. I didn't go WOT until 4000 rpm. It was a gradual roll into the gas.

This next one is the 4th gear run. I know is sloppy. I ended my runs early and he started his late. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
I'll Be damned. He managed to iron out that stupid boost dip?? Or was this just because you started the run late?

Reactions: TH_ST

·
Vendor
663 Posts
Just had @STallion18 on the dyno today. His car is factory catback with high flow downpipe.

I ended up using cobb controls to speed things up for boost control only. 93 octane, stock catback, rs airbox, wagner intercooler and powermax turbo. I recommend a bigger intercooler for these smaller turbos as the wagner is +20 after a pull so with our fmic and 3" catback I'd expect around 322whp on 93 gas and 345 whp on e30.

Great mid range torque, but I have to keep tq under 3500 rpm and less lower because of the fuel system.

I can hear @junits15 about to sell his 2867 now and buy another powermax after selling the one he just bought lolol

·
Super Moderator
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
@MonsterTuned excellent Numbers. Do you care to share the boost curve?

·
Vendor
663 Posts
@MonsterTuned excellent Numbers. Do you care to share the boost curve?
Yes, I feel like boost/timing curve on this turbo is a little bit of secret sauce since I had to spend the time figuring it out. I don't wanna giveaway the store :p

·
Super Moderator
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Yes, I feel like boost/timing curve on this turbo is a little bit of secret sauce since I had to spend the time figuring it out. I don't wanna giveaway the store :p
That's fair, i was just curious. It's definitely a finicky turbo in that regard.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,951 Posts
RS airbox :sick:🤮

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
I just ordered the PowerMax turbo today with a TurboSmart IWG75 internal wastegate. Can't wait to install it!

I have a TurboSmart Kompact BOV already installed on my ST... Does anyone know if I will need to get the focus RS spring?? PandaMotorsports website says this about the TurboMax....
  • "This turbo uses a Focus RS (2.3L) BOV. If you choose to upgrade the included OEM style recirculating valve, you must use a Focus RS BOV."
Does this mean I will need to install the stiffer focus RS spring in my Kompact BOV? I am a bit confused by this...

121 - 140 of 387 Posts