Ford Focus ST Forum banner
101 - 120 of 387 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
So e30 tuning is done. I've been playing with two final files all week. One ends at 18psi, one at 19. Originally the one ending at 19 didnt run as good in hot weather, but its low 70s and no humidity today and this thing is an animal!

·
Registered
960 Posts
So e30 tuning is done. I've been playing with two final files all week. One ends at 18psi, one at 19. Originally the one ending at 19 didnt run as good in hot weather, but its low 70s and no humidity today and this thing is an animal!
...Wow!

That's awesome!

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
320 & 360!! That not to shabby for ~$1500.

Kudo’s man .... that’s cool stuff!

I bet it feels like a new car?!

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
320 & 360!! That not to shabby for ~$1500.

Kudo’s man .... that’s cool stuff!

I bet it feels like a new car?!
It does! Its been extremely hot and humid here (high 80s low 90s) and on e30 in those temps, it would hang around 290s and 300s. But it LOVES this crisp air.

My poor snow tires are ****ed this winter.

·
Registered
2015 Ford Focus ST
487 Posts

View attachment 393386
I want these numbers on 93....No ethanol in my area

Reactions: junits15

·
Super Moderator
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
I want these numbers on 93....No ethanol in my area
I agree, these horsepower numbers were what i was wanting on 93... well now im hooked so, i need to figure out how to run this stuff daily. Closest E station is 20 minutes away.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I agree, these horsepower numbers were what i was wanting on 93... well now im hooked so, i need to figure out how to run this stuff daily. Closest E station is 20 minutes away.
A couple of 5 gallon gas cans and weekly Saturday morning jaunts to the ‘ethanol station’. 😁

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,951 Posts
The key here is a very well sealed metal container as ethanol will dissolve plastics over time (purge valve anyone?).

Look at Jerry cans or a similar container like the ones VP ships their products is. Done properly ethanol based fuels can be stored for a fairly long period of time.

I have E85 almost at every station here and I still use steel Jerry cans to store here at the house.

Attached to this post is a PDF about the handling and storage of ethanol fuels if anyone is interested.

Stay Safe
J

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
The key here is a very well sealed metal container as ethanol will dissolve plastics over time (purge valve anyone?).

Look at Jerry cans or a similar container like the ones VP ships their products is. Done properly ethanol based fuels can be stored for a fairly long period of time.

I have E85 almost at every station here and I still use steel Jerry cans to store here at the house.

Attached to this post is a PDF about the handling and storage of ethanol fuels if anyone is interested.

Stay Safe
J
I ran E30 FBO for 54k and 1-1/2 yard exclusively. Not a single issue to this day. I did stop running it at 94k when I went BT. That’s also when I had the purge valve recall done by the inspecting dealer. That still wasn’t giving me any symptoms but the Ford program wouldn’t let the tech proceed with doing the update. I’m the original owner so I know it wasn’t done. Those things are hit and miss I guess.

I stopped storing gas in metal cans 20 years ago. Rust would always form, flake and transfer. The only time I use steel is at work when DOT, MSHA, OSHA or best safe practices require safety closures and fire arresting screens. E85 would hasten the rust issues as it’s hydroscopic. So yes well sealed containers are a must.

Reactions: TurboGT

·
Super Moderator
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Finally got around to making a video of the sounds this turbo makes.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Finished up e30 Friday. Torrie was great. I would get revions at the most, a couple hours after I emailed him a data log. Sometimes late at night. The wife called it my second job.

Looks like my numbers are right about where yours were in hot weather. Being south Florida. I won't see a sub 80 day until October. I'll just have to wait until then to find out how it feels when it's cool out. Sitting right around 310 hp and 370 ft lbs. Compared to my old e30 log and another local FoST FBO e30 log. It's a good 50 hp and 50 tq gain peak. The nicest part is its not just peak numbers. It's 50 hp throughout the rpm range.

I did run a 370z last week. No idea the mods. It's lowered, wheels, wing and exhaust from what I can see. We have run into each other a couple of times before. We must work in the area. Seem to always end up next to each other at a red light by my work. The previous runs we were basically the same speed from a roll. Whoever got the jump ended up a car ahead. This time he was in my rearview quick.

·
Super Moderator
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Finished up e30 Friday. Torrie was great. I would get revions at the most, a couple hours after I emailed him a data log. Sometimes late at night. The wife called it my second job.

Looks like my numbers are right about where yours were in hot weather. Being south Florida. I won't see a sub 80 day until October. I'll just have to wait until then to find out how it feels when it's cool out. Sitting right around 310 hp and 370 ft lbs. Compared to my old e30 log and another local FoST FBO e30 log. It's a good 50 hp and 50 tq gain peak. The nicest part is its not just peak numbers. It's 50 hp throughout the rpm range.

I did run a 370z last week. No idea the mods. It's lowered, wheels, wing and exhaust from what I can see. We have run into each other a couple of times before. We must work in the area. Seem to always end up next to each other at a red light by my work. The previous runs we were basically the same speed from a roll. Whoever got the jump ended up a car ahead. This time he was in my rearview quick.
Yeah this turbo doesn't Like hot weather. Conversely it screams in the cool air. Actually, not sure if that's More a characteristic of the platform than the turbo. Maybe some big turbo guys could speak up on the matter. Either way, when the weather cools off, you're in for a treat.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Either way, when the weather cools off, you're in for a treat.
Does this make you think: 'Oil cooler', Aftermarket Radiator, or anything like that?

I'm only asking because it seems like a higher density of air is attainable with slightly more mods (says everyone... lol).

·
Super Moderator
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Does this make you think: 'Oil cooler', Aftermarket Radiator, or anything like that?

I'm only asking because it seems like a higher density of air is attainable with slightly more mods (says everyone... lol).
Air density is an environmental factor. The only 2 ways to change that is ram-air (very slightly) or nitrous Oxide.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Air density is an environmental factor. The only 2 ways to change that is ram-air (very slightly) or nitrous Oxide.
Great news. Ironically I just looked at the weather. It's 74 outside currently. Bad news, it's because of a hurricane.

I believe it is simply the nature of forced induction. I read an article a long time ago that around 60 degrees will produce the most hp. Then of course your altitude plays a large part in it also. Perfect scenario would be 60 degrees and sea level.

·
Super Moderator
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
@Tonycar323 we've Had many mornings since i installed this turbo (yesterday and today included) that are low 70s and muggy. It still runs fantastic even in humid conditions at these temps. I'm 1100' elevation. Go out and get some hurricane logs! Lol.

·
Registered
152 Posts
@Tonycar323 we've Had many mornings since i installed this turbo (yesterday and today included) that are low 70s and muggy. It still runs fantastic even in humid conditions at these temps. I'm 1100' elevation. Go out and get some hurricane logs! Lol.
😂 Current condition is impeding traction. 4th still just spins.

Good news is the air box mod I did over the weekend isn't letting any water into the filter.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
101 - 120 of 387 Posts