Ford Focus ST Forum banner
381 - 387 of 387 Posts

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Is there a drop in twin scroll hybrid available for our platform?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #382 ·
Is there a drop in twin scroll hybrid available for our platform?
No, twin scroll involves using 2 opposing cylinders in firing order to fire into each of the 2 separate volutes of the twin scroll turbo. That isnt possible because our headifold has one single port.

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
272 Posts
Anyone see Alex's video from stratified, where he took the stock & power max turbos apart for comps, well now i am even more confused as to why garret would make a complete ground up turbo with almost identical in every aspect dimensions as stock, and hope to sell a **** ton of em, i know there's a little bump on the compressor side, but really thats in the wheel design and housing size/design but the wheels are the same size, its hard to see how they achieved any more flow, watch the vid and post your thoughts,very interesting
The housing volume is bigger, that allow it to breath better and has room for a bigger wheel without chocking it. So, is very easy to upgrade that turbo without even worry on changing the housing. Right now, personally I'm happy with the HP upgrade it provide with minimal turbo lag. I don't even have an E30 tune yet. In the track the Nissan 350Z/370Z, older BMW M3 6cyl or V8 can't keep up. I stay put with the alfa's 4C, If in the future I have desire for more power I'll go for a TPC upgrade, I think it start at $400, still cheaper than a big turbo with the bonus of direct fit.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #384 ·
The housing volume is bigger, that allow it to breath better and has room for a bigger wheel without chocking it. So, is very easy to upgrade that turbo without even worry on changing the housing. Right now, personally I'm happy with the HP upgrade it provide with minimal turbo lag. I don't even have an E30 tune yet. In the track the Nissan 350Z/370Z, older BMW M3 6cyl or V8 can't keep up. I stay put with the alfa's 4C, If in the future I have desire for more power I'll go for a TPC upgrade, I think it start at $400, still cheaper than a big turbo with the bonus of direct fit.
The e30 is a game changer. Youll love that.

I am curious of the results if you have TPC work some magic with this little turbo.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Did TPC say what he would/change for 400

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
272 Posts
Did TPC say what he would/change for 400

·
Registered
960 Posts
The vid just solidifies what my assumptions are. They slapped this thing together to appease us. I'm miffed at how they handled this whole thing.
Yeah, there was about half of the air let out of the balloon after all was said and done, but please let me be flat honest:

The video you posted of hitting WOT on this turbo is seriously NOTHING like the stock turbo... That is really the only comparison I have acquired in my mind that makes it worth of being a valid upgrade @$1k for direct fit. I lost a little interest in it when the real values came out, but I'm still interested to be honest. Especially with what Edge did to your tune @TurboGT !

P.S. I still have never once tried to run the E30 tune I bought with the stock turbo, LOL.

381 - 387 of 387 Posts