Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of questions..ordered a levels IC,downpipe(cfm) and exhaust(mbrp). I got to thinking after reading some posts,that the cai oem,would be good enough for now,until you go big turbo. I don't plan on going big turbo till next year or I can find a BT,for cheap. I want at least 280 with what I have bought..which tune would do that,I have stratified right now,but I am looking at panda for stg3,their service to customers seems a helluva lot better than stratified. Do you guys think this is doable.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just gotta clarify somethings here for us. What other mods are done to your car or is it just the intercooler, downpipe, and exhaust? Do you have a stratified flash tune or a custom tune? Are you just using 93 octane or are you planning on Water/Meth or an ehtanol blend?

280 wheel horsepower is your goal right? Any tuner could probably get you there but if I recall you're probably going to be around the 260-265 whp range if you're on 93 octane. I'm still new to the focus game so don't quote me on that though. Stratified custom tunes are very good but I've also heard freaktune and panda are great as well. I would personally ask them as they would know what you could push out of the car reliably with those mods.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I would recommend a drop in filter at least, but yes you should be fine with stock intake. I am currently tuned my Freektune, price for a custom e-tune is great! He should be able to get you tuned to your goal number!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right now I have stratified 93 tune...green filter...and that's it....I like the stratified tune..has had no problems the year I've had it....car doesn't get driven much,last year I put 6k on it...lol...I haven't made my decision on whos tune I go with,but I know it will be a custom tune.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Definitely go with a better air filter. You can stick with the stock intake but with how cheap the aftermarket ones go for used you can't really beat it.
I've seen plenty of just Intake, intercooler, exhaust, stage 3 tuner hit the 280 mark. You should be fine. As for the companies I seem to be favoring JST lately

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a green filter, cobb rmm, intercooler, mountune intake pipe, 1 heat range colder plugs, 3" downpipe, and resonator delete. would I be good to go to the cobb stage 3? I still have the stock catback just with no resonator.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I have a green filter, cobb rmm, intercooler, mountune intake pipe, 1 heat range colder plugs, 3" downpipe, and resonator delete. would I be good to go to the cobb stage 3? I still have the stock catback just with no resonator.
yes

·
Registered
979 Posts
and it would be safe?
You are stage 3 with Intake, FMIC, DP and Exhaust so....yes. The RMM is a plus and the plugs are for safety, you're good to go.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Couple of questions..ordered a levels IC,downpipe(cfm) and exhaust(mbrp). I got to thinking after reading some posts,that the cai oem,would be good enough for now,until you go big turbo. I don't plan on going big turbo till next year or I can find a BT,for cheap. I want at least 280 with what I have bought..which tune would do that,I have stratified right now,but I am looking at panda for stg3,their service to customers seems a helluva lot better than stratified. Do you guys think this is doable.
No intake system needed for stage 3, your drop in filter is fine. You're going to need an e30 tune to hit 280whp, I had the same mods e30 tuned with Stratified and put down 275whp/365wtq with their OTS tune. You should be able to get a little more out of a custom tune.

I had the exact opposite experience with Stratified and Panda. Stratified was slow but steady with emails and log reviews and I always received an answer in 48 hours, Panda went weeks with unanswered emails and it took over a month to get what I needed. YMMV and good luck!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Drop in filter is definitely fine for official "stage 3" and maybe replace the accordion elbow on the filter with a smooth silicon one for slightly better flow. Other than that it's fine. And yes, Ethanol fuel will be a needed aspect to hit those numbers. Or an extremely aggressive potentially unsafe tune lol. Just run E and you'll be good.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
An intake scoop (Cobb, Ford, Velossatech, Steeda) is the only intake mod that will see any real benefit with the stock turbo.

E30/E40; Adding oxygen via the fuel used increases power and is the most cost effective thing you can do. In recent testing by The Tuning School, 40% ethanol mixed with 93 made more power than every single race fuel they tried.

More than race gas concentrates (Boostane, Race Gas, Accelerator, by 16 hp), VP MS103 (by 11 hp), VP MS109 (by 10 hp), VP C9 (by 20 hp), VP C16 (by 8 hp).

Only VP C-85 which I'll be testing out this weekend made more power (+11 hp) but the same torque. Only C-16 + 100% Methanol Injection even matched it. Again because Methanol adds oxygen to the combustion process.

50/50 Water-Methanol injection adds a bit of oxygen as well and will match the best oxygenated unleaded racing fuel in output.

I picked up 12 hp with the smallest nozzle on the stock tune with 50/50 Boost Juice.

The gains are smaller on a car with the stock turbo.

It will be more effective the most boost you try and hold on the stock turbo. (Max stock preload or Turbo Smart IWG, I have done one and have the other).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts