Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my custom Stratified Stage 3 tune on for awhile now, but my boost is only peaking out at like 17.5 compared to most everybody running 21-22 psi. Tried looking for any signs of boost leak with no luck. Is it something in the tune that has the boost turned down or should I be looking harder for a boost leak?

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Depends on what RPM you're talking about. The stock K03 runs out of breath around 4500 RPM and boost pressure starts dropping from there to avoid overspinning the turbo. When I was on the stock turbo I made a peak boost of about 23 psi around 4200 RPM and it slowly tapered off to about 17 PSI the closer I got to redline.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends on what RPM you're talking about. The stock K03 runs out of breath around 4500 RPM and boost pressure starts dropping from there to avoid overspinning the turbo. When I was on the stock turbo I made a peak boost of about 23 psi around 4200 RPM and it slowly tapered off to about 17 PSI the closer I got to redline.
When doing a hard pull 1st-4th gear, its peaking at like 15-16 on the pull. Medium acceleration in 4th or 5th i can get it up to like 18.8 peak.

·
Super Moderator
7,718 Posts
When doing a hard pull 1st-4th gear, its peaking at like 15-16 on the pull. Medium acceleration in 4th or 5th i can get it up to like 18.8 peak.
You should be looking for boost leaks.

Did you put sealant on the extra ports on your TTR manifold?

Do you still run the Sound Symposer?

Are you prepared to do a boost leak test? DO IT!!!!! lol.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should be looking for boost leaks.

Did you put sealant on the extra ports on your TTR manifold?

Do you still run the Sound Symposer?

Are you prepared to do a boost leak test? DO IT!!!!! lol.
Yea all the ports are sealed, and the TTR manifold didnt come with a sound symposer port so i dont have that

·
Vendor
2,560 Posts
Yea all the ports are sealed, and the TTR manifold didnt come with a sound symposer port so i dont have that
This does sound like a hardware issue. Send us a datalog as a reply to the tune email to confirm. The tune is commanding a certain boost (higher than 17psi) and it is driving the wastegate to achieve this. If something mechanical is preventing it, then it won't reach that boost level.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This does sound like a hardware issue. Send us a datalog as a reply to the tune email to confirm. The tune is commanding a certain boost (higher than 17psi) and it is driving the wastegate to achieve this. If something mechanical is preventing it, then it won't reach that boost level.
Thanks Alex will do! What do i gotta do to have you look at them? lol

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I paid the extra $50 when I got the tune for the log reviews

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Mine has been doing the exact same thing on my stage 2 Stratified ots tune. Peaking around peaking 3-4 psi below normal over the past 6 months across the rpm range. Thought maybe it was the 100* weather but I don't like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
289 Posts
Mine has been doing the exact same thing on my stage 2 Stratified ots tune. Peaking around peaking 3-4 psi below normal over the past 6 months across the rpm range. Thought maybe it was the 100* weather but I don't like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For what it's worth... My 21 psi moved to 20, to 18, then to POP today. (Over a 3 month period) I'm stage 3, and just blew my charge pipe on the freeway. So while I was pretty certain i had sealed everything up... Apparently not! I could hear a slight hiss before I went no choo choo if that helps.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
For what it's worth... My 21 psi moved to 20, to 18, then to POP today. (Over a 3 month period) I'm stage 3, and just blew my charge pipe on the freeway. So while I was pretty certain i had sealed everything up... Apparently not! I could hear a slight hiss before I went no choo choo if that helps.

I hope that's not what is happening. I really hope it's just the heat and maybe my tune needs to be optimized for that. I guess maybe I should check for any boost leaks, I just thought it would have been much worse if there was a leak somewhere.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Boost stayed pretty high, even with the modest leak... If my exhaust wasn't so loud I probably would have heard it sooner. It was a simple fix to put the pipe back on (I did lose the clamp though, somewhere on the freeway).
Everything is back to normal 😄
I'd vote for a boost leak over mech failure any day!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts