Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with christmas season comes my christmas bonus, most of which is going to car parts for the ST. My car is currently Stage 1 plus a FRPP cat back. My question is, do you need an aftermarket intake to run a stage 3 tune if you have the other supporting mods (FMIC, Catback, Downpipe). In my research i found that an aftermarket intake doesn't do all that much.

I plan on going with the DEPO 3.5" FMIC and DEPO Catless DP, and then contacting stratified for a tune revision.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Everything I've read says you will be fine. I don't think the stock intake is restrictive

·
Super Moderator
10,441 Posts
So with christmas season comes my christmas bonus, most of which is going to car parts for the ST. My car is currently Stage 1 plus a FRPP cat back. My question is, do you need an aftermarket intake to run a stage 3 tune if you have the other supporting mods (FMIC, Catback, Downpipe). In my research i found that an aftermarket intake doesn't do all that much.

I plan on going with the DEPO 3.5" FMIC and DEPO Catless DP, and then contacting stratified for a tune revision.
Just get a good aftermarket filter; the factory airbox/intake tube will flow more air than the little KO3 turbo will. Unless you want one for looks or are going to a bigger turbo in the future.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just get a good aftermarket filter; the factory airbox/intake tube will flow more air than the little KO3 turbo will. Unless you want one for looks or are going to a bigger turbo in the future.
I have the high flow filter that came with the COBB stage 1 kit. So i should be fine?

Thanks for the input.

Reactions: VacavilleRay

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have the high flow filter that came with the COBB stage 1 kit. So i should be fine?

Thanks for the input.
Agreed, you'll be fine.

Personally, I went the other route and installed the FSWerks Cool-Flo intake tube and kept the Motorcraft OEM air filter since it still flows decently well, but also filters down to a smaller micron size. Often times used oil analyses will show elevations in silicone due to some additional ingestion of common road dirt and dust, which has high silica content. I'd also hate to be the over zealous weekend warrior who over oiled their filter and ruined a MAF sensor. Since the OEM filter still flows decently well, this is why typically when people install aftermarket air filters on this platform there aren't really any realized gains, just a bit more throttle response and more racecar sounds.

I just went with the intake tube since it is a bit more efficient than the OEM tubing and provides a greater volume of air post filter, so it's a little easier for the turbo to spool and to keep it fed with less pressure drop pre turbo inlet, which will also give you a bit more throttle response and help the turbo be more efficient when giving boost. Stratified has an interesting blog article on their site about it somewhere.

·
Registered
196 Posts
and more racecar sounds.
That is all that matters though, right? ;)

I had no power gains from my Roush intake. Just a lot of lovely turbo noise.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
That is all that matters though, right? ;)

I had no power gains from my Roush intake. Just a lot of lovely turbo noise.
I would like to know how you can confirm there is no gain from an intake. Did you use any sort of metric besides your bum?

Reactions: Darkdayz23

·
Registered
206 Posts
Good question friend. It seems to be the most common finding in all the CAI threads. I remember CJ Pony Parts even did a YouTube video a while back showing a dyno pull right before and after a full Cobb intake was installed on their '13 or '14 ST. There was no difference in peak HP or torque, just a slight widening of the curve. If I recall, power came a hair sooner and hung on a bit longer in the 6000+ RPM range, but peak numbers were unchanged. Is there benefit to an intake? Sure, my intake tube did make a difference in throttle response and gave a bit more growl at WOT, which is fun. Will an intake make more power? No, Ford did a decent job here, but it will make the power you have a bit more accessible on the low and high end. Going big turbo, on the other hand, is a different story...

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Good question friend. It seems to be the most common finding in all the CAI threads. I remember CJ Pony Parts even did a YouTube video a while back showing a dyno pull right before and after a full Cobb intake was installed on their '13 or '14 ST. There was no difference in peak HP or torque, just a slight widening of the curve. If I recall, power came a hair sooner and hung on a bit longer in the 6000+ RPM range, but peak numbers were unchanged. Is there benefit to an intake? Sure, my intake tube did make a difference in throttle response and gave a bit more growl at WOT, which is fun. Will an intake make more power? No, Ford did a decent job here, but it will make the power you have a bit more accessible on the low and high end. Going big turbo, on the other hand, is a different story...
Again, what metric did you use other than a "feeling"? See my problem with Americans is that feelings are too highly regarded though often VERY WRONG.

I will agree that gains over the stock intake tract are minimal, offset by the cost to upgrade. But as the stock exhaust is decent, just a look at the pinched section of pipe right at the exit of the turbo and right into the converter tells you there's a decent restriction in the exhaust system.

The weakness in the stock system are -

a) Not drawing cooler air ahead of the radiator
b) The one size fits all nature of the tube that goes over the valve cover.

Dyno's are not conclusive, but track testing is. The problem with this site is the LACK of track testing, just "feeling", dyno pulls and constant data logging.

Why is an upgraded turbo the only answer when the reality it isn't? If the spool or response of the stock turbo is what is desired then you have another option.... Otherwise there is no free lunch, a larger turbo is going to introduce more lag/mute response; the offset is you make WAY more power beyond 5,000 rpm.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I will agree that gains over the stock intake tract are minimal, offset by the cost to upgrade.
This is getting too far off topic. The OP asked if he needed an aftermarket intake for his setup. The answer is no, and you yourself said the gains are minimal, which is exactly what we've been saying the entire time. So, now that we've all agreed the gains of an aftermarket intake are minimal, let's move on.

Btw, my post was referring to big turbo in the context of needing an aftermarket intake. More specifically, the stock intake flows decently well enough for the stock turbo. An aftermarket intake, like you said, would only provide very minimal gains. Should you go big turbo, than an aftermarket intake would make more sense due to the additional air displacement. That's all I was saying, friend.

·
Registered
387 Posts
This is getting too far off topic. The OP asked if he needed an aftermarket intake for his setup. The answer is no, and you yourself said the gains are minimal, which is exactly what we've been saying the entire time. So, now that we've all agreed the gains of an aftermarket intake are minimal, let's move on.

Btw, my post was referring to big turbo in the context of needing an aftermarket intake. More specifically, the stock intake flows decently well enough for the stock turbo. An aftermarket intake, like you said, would only provide very minimal gains. Should you go big turbo, than an aftermarket intake would make more sense due to the additional air displacement. That's all I was saying, friend.
Honestly, it's a fight not worth taking. Many have already wasted too much time explaining it to him.

Related, even bigger turbos don't necessarily gain anything from a different intake. I am still using the stock filter and box, although the tubing has changed. Dynos and logs show there wasn't any additional power gained through a higher flowing filter. The additional noise was offset by additional dust being dragged into the intake.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Where is the logic in a dyno chart not being valid in proving performance gains when the parts only purpose is to improve power? A new airbox doesnt improve handling, nor is it a weight savings....so lets throw out dyno numbers and only validate track time references?? ::boggle::

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The gain is minimal vs cost. But more than half the stuff you guys put on your cars is not worth the time or effort to install.

Tune and Down Pipe is all you need for the biggest gains. The rest is chasing your tail; I do have the Mountune intake but I have larger plans and will need the extra flow sooner rather than later.

When your car runs mid 13's with fewer mods than mine does, maybe I'll listen. Why does handling constantly come up? The car handles beautifully as-is. The car is also heavy meaning spending thousands on bolt-on upgrades is tedious and expensive.

·
Registered
89 Posts
An aftermarket intake will give you negligible gaines. Do I have one, Yep! Why you ask? It looks pretty, it will aid when its time for a big turbo, and it makes me feel fuzzy knowing its there.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Again, what metric did you use other than a "feeling"? See my problem with Americans is that feelings are too highly regarded though often VERY WRONG.

I will agree that gains over the stock intake tract are minimal, offset by the cost to upgrade. But as the stock exhaust is decent, just a look at the pinched section of pipe right at the exit of the turbo and right into the converter tells you there's a decent restriction in the exhaust system.

The weakness in the stock system are -

a) Not drawing cooler air ahead of the radiator
b) The one size fits all nature of the tube that goes over the valve cover.

Dyno's are not conclusive, but track testing is. The problem with this site is the LACK of track testing, just "feeling", dyno pulls and constant data logging.

Why is an upgraded turbo the only answer when the reality it isn't? If the spool or response of the stock turbo is what is desired then you have another option.... Otherwise there is no free lunch, a larger turbo is going to introduce more lag/mute response; the offset is you make WAY more power beyond 5,000 rpm.
???

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just ordered a downpipe. I got the snorkel so i have air coming in the front to the air box, and I have the green filter with the cap on it to help keep the air box pressurized. You can see many tuners like cobb, cpe, mishimoto, fswerks and so on have intakes that also reuse the stock intake box or they copied that design for something that looks a lot cooler and aftermarket. If anything, I’d buy the depo racing intake because it’s cheap, and everything works while using the stock intake box. The stock box is built very well but the piping is rather restrictive. I just bought the silicone elbow for my intake to go along with my downpipe order because I didn’t want to spend money on it. I’d think about the intake as a supporting mod, it’ll lessen the restriction but not give you a whole lot of hp or any gains. It’s just there to help out. I decided not to go that route, I rather spend the money on the breedt shifter arm because I feel that the shifter needs improving.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have stock airbox on BT. I have bigger intake tube only because the stock tube will not fit 29 series compressor housing. You DO NOT need intake for any set up, complete waste of money. Down pipe is also a waste of money unless you go big turbo. Infact Ill go as far and say the stages are all a bunch of BS.
Just what I thought. In my eyes when going to mod your car upgrade what you think needs upgrading after you get used to it. I have the cobb rmm and a depo fmic because thoes are really needed. Exhaust because I like hearing the car. The only reason I'm getting my catless downpipe is that I really want one and I want to at least spit one flame. All I want is a flame because the child in me. ??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.