Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever race one of the 3.8 gen coupes stock? Stage 3 or lower? Obviously BT guys have em all day. From a dig or from any speed roll?

·
Registered
744 Posts
From a dig the ST will be killed off the line (obviously). From a roll, the ST is a bit lighter and has much more torque so it should be a fairly easy win.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
From a dig the ST will be killed off the line (obviously). From a roll, the ST is a bit lighter and has much more torque so it should be a fairly easy win.
Basically this, but we only have more torque if you have a tune that gives you 300+ like stratified. Cobb AP OTS tunes might only give you like 300-310 and you might lose honestly from a roll also. It runs a 1/4 mile in 13.9 which we can only do with a perfect launch on good tires...

We won't walk away from the v6 model easily unless you are sitting at 350ft/tq or so and catch him in 3rd or 4th gear...but if you keep going past that their top end displacement will eat you. They are pretty mean cars honestly I can't lie. Our mid range is only ever so slightly higher with bolt ons and tune than they are stock but bottom end traction for us sucks vs them and top end is no match. Would be a drivers race and a good one too.

Edit: And to be honest, if one got a tune and no bolt ons it would beat us probably all day. Let alone with bolt ons. The 2.0 Gen is much more in our bracket mod-for-mod.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Basically this, but we only have more torque if you have a tune that gives you 300+ like stratified. Cobb AP OTS tunes might only give you like 300-310 and you might lose honestly from a roll also. It runs a 1/4 mile in 13.9 which we can only do with a perfect launch on good tires...

We won't walk away from the v6 model easily unless you are sitting at 350ft/tq or so and catch him in 3rd or 4th gear...but if you keep going past that their top end displacement will eat you. They are pretty mean cars honestly I can't lie. Our mid range is only ever so slightly higher with bolt ons and tune than they are stock but bottom end traction for us sucks vs them and top end is no match. Would be a drivers race and a good one too.

Edit: And to be honest, if one got a tune and no bolt ons it would beat us probably all day. Let alone with bolt ons. The 2.0 Gen is much more in our bracket mod-for-mod.
Stock they make about 280/245 to the wheels which isn't bad but even a COBB OTS Stage 2 ST should have more torque than that. But like you said, the longer the race goes on, the more the Genesis' top end power will come into play and that's where we definitely lose.

OP, I'd suggest taking a roll from about 30-90 if you can. You should beat one but you need to have some decent tires and you need to avoid shifting too late.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My buddy has a 3.8 auto. He?s always bugging me to race him. Which I typically avoid street racing. I drive a semi for Fedex and have a
Class A CDL. My license is my life basically. I wanna race him and put him in the dirt. He?s been talkin **** he got his gen coupe and I got my ST a month after he got his gen coupe. From all the YouTube videos I?ve seen for ST numbers, a stage 3, makes about 270-280hp and 350+TQ.

·
Registered
439 Posts
My buddy has a 3.8 auto. He?s always bugging me to race him. Which I typically avoid street racing. I drive a semi for Fedex and have a
Class A CDL. My license is my life basically. I wanna race him and put him in the dirt. He?s been talkin **** he got his gen coupe and I got my ST a month after he got his gen coupe. From all the YouTube videos I?ve seen for ST numbers, a stage 3, makes about 270-280hp and 350+TQ.
lol take it to the drags and that will answer your question ... kick his ass

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
We stage 3 STs do make numbers similar to that, however you're a little high on HP. It's 260-270 without adding an ethanol tune, but if you run e30 then you will DEFINITELY beat him.

If you are good at launching the car and you know how to drive, and he's really stock with nothing done, then you'll beat him at the end of the 1/4 mile if you have good tires. He will jump you badly off the line and then you'll reel him in. However if either driver is a lot better than the other it will be a lot different.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Don't Genesis coupes run mid to high 13's stock? Most ST's Stage 3 need mounts and a traction bar to really run high 13's, this is a drivers race really...if you don't have hop and can cut a 2.2 60 ft. you have a chance, if not, your gonna get smoked...plain and simple. But take solace in this fact, your car costs a lot less to begin with so dollar vs dollar spent the ST wins in that dept.
That's what I was saying and everybody acted like I was dumb lol they run a 13.9 being RWD so he's only going to beat him if he can drive well in a Stage 3 car. He can pull a 13.7 probably with a 2.2s 0-60 if he doesn't do anything wrong and he flat foot shifts. The gen driver though can easily lie and say he has a tune or throw on better tires and nail out a 13.6 just as easily. It's way closer than some people are thinking it will be despite our huge torque advantage. On the highway from 30-80mph yes we have a clear advantage but that's about it honestly.

·
Registered
744 Posts
That's what I was saying and everybody acted like I was dumb lol they run a 13.9 being RWD so he's only going to beat him if he can drive well in a Stage 3 car. He can pull a 13.7 probably with a 2.2s 0-60 if he doesn't do anything wrong and he flat foot shifts. The gen driver though can easily lie and say he has a tune or throw on better tires and nail out a 13.6 just as easily. It's way closer than some people are thinking it will be despite our huge torque advantage. On the highway from 30-80mph yes we have a clear advantage but that's about it honestly.
I didn't think anyone disagreed with you. The ST is going to get killed off the line from (almost) any RWD performance car but the weight-to-torque advantage is massive in our cars which is what make our cars great from a roll. I stand by my statement that OP should be able to win in a roll. From a dig, it'll be a loss unless OP can do everything perfectly.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Depending on how much weight that ST cut and the affects of the tune the Gen had...that was fun to watch. Without gutting the ST I wonder if it still would have won. I also wonder if the gutting made up for the fact that the Gen was tuned. I see that easily being almost 200lbs of weight reduction honestly if not more. I would love a stage 3 under 3,000lb car lmao

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He has taken his car to the track once or twice. And he ran even 14.0. Maybe a 13.9 once.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Real races are only from a dig....I personally could care less about street races during a roll. But entertaining none-the-less.
Real races have turns.

·
Registered
184 Posts
It's not so much a top end issue as it is a heat issue with our cars. The longer you keep spinning that K03, the more heat it makes and the less power you end up making, regardless of the intercooler setup. You're probably better served with an 18psi pro tune - you'll make more consistent power.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts