Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Clutch blown at 3.4k miles 2016 st stage 1 cobb tune. Drove it pretty hard right after the tune and after about 2 minutes of driving the clutch pedal stuck to the floor and the engine was smoking hot. Got it home and lifted the clutch off the floor. After letting it sit a day clutch would slip at high rpms. Took it to the dealer, wasn't covered under warranty. 2k down the drain. I am back to stock now am worried about if the tune is what messed up my clutch or not. I don't drive it hard at all anymore. I am 28 and have driven manual my whole life. The clutch and flywheel looked pretty burnt and I actually kept them. I was wondering whether maybe to try to take back up the fight to get it covered under warranty or even if I should try re tuning it? Also I have been doing some research and I haven't seen any stock sts complain about the clutch sticking to the floor problem. I wonder maybe if this is a stage 1 tune cause?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Tune wouldn't have done that, sounds like a lemon clutch or you didn't know how to drive it for the first 3.4k miles.

Sent from Harambe in heaven, amen.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Clutch blown at 3.4k miles 2016 st stage 1 cobb tune. Drove it pretty hard right after the tune and after about 2 minutes of driving the clutch pedal stuck to the floor and the engine was smoking hot. Got it home and lifted the clutch off the floor. After letting it sit a day clutch would slip at high rpms. Took it to the dealer, wasn't covered under warranty. 2k down the drain. I am back to stock now am worried about if the tune is what messed up my clutch or not. I don't drive it hard at all anymore. I am 28 and have driven manual my whole life. The clutch and flywheel looked pretty burnt and I actually kept them. I was wondering whether maybe to try to take back up the fight to get it covered under warranty or even if I should try re tuning it? Also I have been doing some research and I haven't seen any stock sts complain about the clutch sticking to the floor problem. I wonder maybe if this is a stage 1 tune cause?
The possibility of the tune causing this is very unlikely. I am going to guess that it was just a faulty part from the get go. The dealer ship is going to do what ever it is that they can to get out of having to fix something for free. I would think that you would have a good case to try and bring the matter to Ford and have them cover it. Right now my car makes around 450ish and I am still using the stock flywheel, just a different clutch and pressure plate.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts
Well a clutch is considered a "wear item" and therefore depending on the failure Ford has no reason to cover it (it's in the warranty paperwork), BUT if it was a major mechanical problem then take it to Ford and insist they cover it. Also, take the tune OFF before going to save the hassle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well a clutch is considered a "wear item" and therefore depending on the failure Ford has no reason to cover it (it's in the warranty paperwork), BUT if it was a major mechanical problem then take it to Ford and insist they cover it. Also, take the tune OFF before going to save the hassle.
I did take it there thinking it would be covered but they said they found no mechanical reason for it to have died and told ford not to cover it. I've had the new clutch for about 2 weeks and it's great. I also drove the car pretty mild the first 2k miles as I was told to break in new cars. I wouldn't say I am nascar but like I said I have only ever driven manual my whole life so I am not learning on it or anything. I drove my 2002 honda civic to 340k miles, the clutch was only replaced once. The end 30k miles I was trying to kill it and leaking oild and stuff and I drove it on no oil for about half those 30k miles. Thing just wouldn't die.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The possibility of the tune causing this is very unlikely. I am going to guess that it was just a faulty part from the get go. The dealer ship is going to do what ever it is that they can to get out of having to fix something for free. I would think that you would have a good case to try and bring the matter to Ford and have them cover it. Right now my car makes around 450ish and I am still using the stock flywheel, just a different clutch and pressure plate.
Yea I did do that, thanks for the advice. I just have no way to prove that it shouldn't have died at 3.4k miles and they say it's my bad driving since they couldn't find any other reason for it to be blown.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Eh... I don't know man I think it would be hard to completely kill a clutch on a new car that quick even if you were a new driver and have never seen a manual car. Lets get on to what I think is more interesting did you replace the stocker with a nicer upgraded piece or just have them throw back in the old heavy ass stock unit back in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts