Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after three years, I finally got the AP3. I loaded the 93 Octane Stage 1 tune, but most gas stations only sell 92 in the Tacoma area. My question is this...will I have to load the 91 octane tune, or will the 92 octane be ok with the 93 tune? I ran it a little hard to see if the tune made some difference, and it did. It also didn't throw codes or feel like it was struggling, so it seemed ok. Looking for a little experience in this area from someone to see if I can keep it this way. I'll be riding around with tuner in the car for the next week or so, just in case I run into issues either way.

·
Registered
69 Posts
So, after three years, I finally got the AP3. I loaded the 93 Octane Stage 1 tune, but most gas stations only sell 92 in the Tacoma area. My question is this...will I have to load the 91 octane tune, or will the 92 octane be ok with the 93 tune? I ran it a little hard to see if the tune made some difference, and it did. It also didn't throw codes or feel like it was struggling, so it seemed ok. Looking for a little experience in this area from someone to see if I can keep it this way. I'll be riding around with tuner in the car for the next week or so, just in case I run into issues either way.
I just have one, very important question... how do you like it?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On your AP3 go to the monitor and monitor your OAR.
Baseline is 0, -1 is excellent and +1 is bad.
If your OAR is below 0 your tune/fuel is good.
I'll have to play with it a bit more tomorrow and see what I come up with. I didn't really use the tuner itself while driving. Just was getting a feel for it. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just have one, very important question... how do you like it?
Well, I can tell that it is putting out more power for sure, but I couldn't really test it out the way I want because of the rain and 46 degree weather. My tires couldn't put the power to the ground, even with the Pilot Super Sports on it. I'll give it a go when it dries up and warms up a bit. That being said, it is a little bit more spry on the lower end for sure. I could feel that it wanted to go a bit more than before.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'll have to play with it a bit more tomorrow and see what I come up with. I didn't really use the tuner itself while driving. Just was getting a feel for it. Thanks for the help.
I would definitely run the tuner while driving and look at OAR and ignition corrections. If OAR starts going positive or you notice a lot of negative ignition corrections I would tone it down to the 91 tune. The tune will pull timing if it needs to try and keep things safe but I personally wouldn't want to be running a tune where it was pulling all the time.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I cant speak for the OP, but it was the best mod I have done to date. Even if it doesn't blow your mind performance wise, the diagnostic ability it provides is worth it.
So far, I'd say that my Eibach Springs were the best upgrade. I only added the power to add a little balance to the car/fix what Ford did wrong with it. I'm not expecting to go beyond a stage 1 tune any time in the future at all.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'd run the 91 tune to be safe. Most tuners would probably tell you the same. 93 tunes are for a minimum of 93 octane, 91 tunes are for a minimum of 91.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I would run the 91 tune, take some data logs and then hire a tuner to tailor it more to your car and the fuel you use.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
The problem with monitoring OAR on these cars, its a progressive calculation and by the time you really see the positives, you may be doing more damage then good.

Your best bet is to monitor knock count, and ign corrections on the 93 map, lightly get on it, and if you start seeing the ign corrections across cyl 1-4 going quite negative (larger then -1.0 - -1.5) then you know for a fact your fuel cant hang with the map. If your sitting at 0 to positive in the ign correction you know that your fuel is hanging in there.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did a data log today, monitoring the OAR, and it was -1 the whole time. I plan on finding a place that sells the 93 octane after this tank of gas, so I'm not too worried. I'm still gonna data log it the way @zerocoolxx says, but it feels right so far. My biggest question at this point is if my tires can plant the power onto the ground when it gets warmer. Right now, it might be a little too cold to WOT, especially with a flat foot. I have to roll on the power to get WOT, eventually, right now. Right now, I'm working on my application of power and shifts. I just installed a Breedt Quick Shift Arm last week, and now I have the tune. In a couple days, I'll be able to install the rear motor mount. If it feels firm enough at that point, I might not get the sway bars.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, I did a data log to check ign correction. Never went negative once on 92 with the 93 tune. I actually got as high as a 11 in the positive side. Seems ok.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I'd say safely undercut the tune to whatever gas you find. If you can only get 92 use the 91 tune

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was at stage 1 for the past 3 months and struggled to keep the OAR at -1. Also got a lot of knock retard when the oil temp peaked. It was ok when the cruise control was on but once I started spirited driving oar just tanked. I don't know if it was bad Texas gas, winter gas, fmic or all the above. After going to state 2 the knock seems to have decreased significantly and the oar has been stuck at -1.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if it hit 11 you are monitoring the wrong parameter. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I always thought it wouldn't go higher than +4.0
Not sure what the deal is with it. Been kinda feeling it out. I usually don't drive too spirited since the weather is still kinda chilly around here, but in the summer, I'll probably be pushing it around a little more.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Not sure what the deal is with it. Been kinda feeling it out. I usually don't drive too spirited since the weather is still kinda chilly around here, but in the summer, I'll probably be pushing it around a little more.
Are you monitoring ignition timing or ignition correction?

I do not monitor timing so I cannot speak to that, but the correction does not go to 11, it only goes to +4.0 max

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are you monitoring ignition timing or ignition correction?

I do not monitor timing so I cannot speak to that, but the correction does not go to 11, it only goes to +4.0 max
It was engine ignition correction. I misspoke though. I don't remember what I was looking at, but I just looked at it again and it stayed positive the whole time. It didn't reach anything higher than a 2.96. Lol. My bad, guys.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts