Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Two things:

1) Was really sad to see the premature wear on the piping on the st3 drivers seat but after reading a few threads I asked the dealer to warranty the covers, they send pics to ford (mine attached) and sure enough the mfg agreed! Hooray! Get the car back and it looks like a 5 year old put them on... Any of you who had covers replaced, please tell me this isn't expected/normal. I can feel bumps and lumps where the foam is stuffed back, hopefully they didn't rip it and just jam it in... Poor seats. Dealer told them to bite the pillow they're going in dry. Will be contacting dealer when back in the state to get them fixed. Warning, miserable looking seat pictures: IMG_20161010_203548.jpg IMG_20161010_203553.jpg

2) Holy crap the back seats get dimpled when you fold them flat!!! Really terrible design, I've had these back up after folding them flat to transport some groceries/etc for a good month now. Certainly hope it stops looking so garbage in time, but don't have high hopes. Wonder if the GTI has a similar issue?

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hey guys! Two things:

1) Was really sad to see the premature wear on the piping on the st3 drivers seat but after reading a few threads I asked the dealer to warranty the covers, they send pics to ford (mine attached) and sure enough the mfg agreed! Hooray! Get the car back and it looks like a 5 year old put them on... Any of you who had covers replaced, please tell me this isn't expected/normal. I can feel bumps and lumps where the foam is stuffed back, hopefully they didn't rip it and just jam it in... Poor seats. Dealer told them to bite the pillow they're going in dry. Will be contacting dealer when back in the state to get them fixed. Warning, miserable looking seat pictures: View attachment 171505 View attachment 171513

2) Holy crap the back seats get dimpled when you fold them flat!!! Really terrible design, I've had these back up after folding them flat to transport some groceries/etc for a good month now. Certainly hope it stops looking so garbage in time, but don't have high hopes. Wonder if the GTI has a similar issue?
My friend that is horrible. I would take it back and show them in person what a bad job that was. I would have thought they would just put new seats in not new covers.....

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
660 Posts
Ford better take care of that. If this is what the call "fixed" i wouldn't dare deal with them. This is truly cringe worthy. Maybe try a different dealer? Good luck Hornet!

Reactions: LockeLamora33

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ford better take care of that. If this is what the call "fixed" i wouldn't dare deal with them. This is truly cringe worthy. Maybe try a different dealer? Good luck Hornet!
Yeah, I get the feeling it was given to a younger tech that maybe didn't have much experience. Super sad, had a G37S 6mt prior to this car that had 92k miles and the seats looked fantastic. I read posts before getting the car so made sure to never slide over the bolsters, I wear jeans or khakis mainly. Hopefully just got a bad seat and they're able to fix it properly.

I also have the issues with folding the seats all the way flat. I'll never do it again if I can help it.
Which to me is absolutely bs. If you design the seats to fold flat, they should be able to be folded flat without destroying themselves. It's not that I'm worried about it today but what about 4-5 years from now? The whole point of the hot hatch is that it does ALL THE THINGS and is able to transport stuff. Is yours pre 2015/16? I wonder if maybe they changed the design for some silly reason with the refresh. I can't be the only person who has folded the seats flat in an st3.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
First off, that is some seriously pathetic work done on your replacement seat covers.

Secondly- get used to it. Ford service is bad. I've been to 4 different dealers for various service and each one has made critical mistakes. I simply don't understand why this is the case, but it absolutely is and it's completely disheartening.

Finally, it's funny you mentioned the GTI. I just took an extended test drive of a 2017 GTI yesterday. First thing I noticed is the EXTREME difference in build quality between the GTI and the ST. Every body panel fits perfectly. The doors close much more solidly. Every interior panel is screwed together super tight. The stitching on the seats is perfect. Those are all things I can not say about my ST.

Now if only they could make the GTI less of a snooze to drive. The ST still wins in that category.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Good grief. What year is this? My 2014 ST3 seats look like different leather, and the rear seat dimples from folding always pop back within an hour, I'd guess. Seems like the leather on your seats is inferior. Hope the New RS leather is the same as my ST.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good grief. What year is this? My 2014 ST3 seats look like different leather, and the rear seat dimples from folding always pop back within an hour, I'd guess. Seems like the leather on your seats is inferior. Hope the New RS leather is the same as my ST.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk
It's a 2016, folded them flat to transport flowers for my wedding and they'v been like that since! Brutal. Just seems like the carseat anchors are terribly designed, sigh.

Talked to the dealer about getting the driver's seat fixed and got the usual "oh well these things come folded up you need to give it a few weeks for it to settle out." Yeah. I get that for wrinkles in the leather or so, but you can feel the foam all bunched up and mangled on the lower section, don't see that magically fixing itself.

Disappointed in the service here. Anyone in the northern virginia area and have a halfway decent time with service departments?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First off, that is some seriously pathetic work done on your replacement seat covers.

Secondly- get used to it. Ford service is bad. I've been to 4 different dealers for various service and each one has made critical mistakes. I simply don't understand why this is the case, but it absolutely is and it's completely disheartening.

Finally, it's funny you mentioned the GTI. I just took an extended test drive of a 2017 GTI yesterday. First thing I noticed is the EXTREME difference in build quality between the GTI and the ST. Every body panel fits perfectly. The doors close much more solidly. Every interior panel is screwed together super tight. The stitching on the seats is perfect. Those are all things I can not say about my ST.

Now if only they could make the GTI less of a snooze to drive. The ST still wins in that category.
1st: yep! hopefully doesn't take forever
2nd: Was hoping it wouldn't be THIS bad. Makes me really miss the infiniti. "Ah Mr. hornet good afternoon, please grab a snack or drink. Here's the paperwork to sign for your beautiful loaner. We brought over our tech so you can describe your issue and he will get to work, here's a printout of your online service request to confirm. We'll call you when it's done." and they ACTUALLY call part way to update me and then when it's done! How novel.

Between this, the misfiring issue, and just the little other things it breaks my heart. ST is way more fun to drive, more character, more bonkers (dat bolstering and carbon fiber!) but you're right the GTI is MUCH better made, more things have been thought of. Prime example, removing the parcel shelf in the back of the GTI you can stow it under the floor in a little compartment instead of the ST's "oh crap you removed that thing? Huh. Sucks better find someplace to leave it."

I have two close friends who haven't had any issues with theirs. I must have just gotten the one made on a friday afternoon before a holiday weekend.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tummy^stix

I get impressions in the rear seats as well. They work themselves out relatively quickly. The CRV does it too from the kid's carseat, they even out quickly too. Just the joys of leather.

The seat cover install was awful, frankly you'd probably do better fixing it yourself as a weekend project. ****** on Ford to replace on just the cover, swap the seats and repair the damaged ones to factory condition.

·
Registered
328 Posts
WOW I have a '16 ST3 and laid my rear seats flat to move my computer and some other crap a month ago and my rear seats dont look anything like that. They might have initially had some indentations on them but they didnt have any permanent damage done to them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WOW! Gets better, had to grab some stuff I placed in the rear footwell and didn't even think to check the back of the seats. This was the sight I found...

Dealer was saying they covers come folded and they don't have the right tools to install so leave it a few weeks and if still unhappy bring it back and they'd try again, pretty damn sure this won't just solve itself on it's own hahah. Surprised Ford didn't just have them pull the whole seat and replace the entire thing so it could be fixed properly at the MFG. Anyways, the saga continues.

IMG_20161016_162504.jpg IMG_20161016_162509.jpg

·
Registered
328 Posts
The right tools???? IIRC to install covers you just turn them inside out and roll them down onto the foam. What the hell tools do they want to use on the leather? LOL. Sorry, I doubt they will get any better...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The right tools???? IIRC to install covers you just turn them inside out and roll them down onto the foam. What the hell tools do they want to use on the leather? LOL. Sorry, I doubt they will get any better...
Again, think it was a bit of inexperience on the tech's part. Certainly hope when it goes in for service again they'll be able to try again with more attention to final results.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
328 Posts
Again, think it was a bit of inexperience on the tech's part. Certainly hope when it goes in for service again they'll be able to try again with more attention to final results.

Most likely inexperience, I can see them blaming tools instead of an employee not knowing what they were doing. They should have just tried again instead of saying "ok all done, hope he doesnt bring it back". People dont seem to be proud of their work anymore it seems.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Most likely inexperience, I can see them blaming tools instead of an employee not knowing what they were doing. They should have just tried again instead of saying "ok all done, hope he doesnt bring it back". People dont seem to be proud of their work anymore it seems.
Couldn't agree more.

She's back in for the misfiring issue and they're going to try again on the seat. I feel like if it doesn't pass the "if ford sent you a stock car like this would you accept it" they shouldn't call it acceptable. My two cents. Will update when the car is back with me.

·
Registered
311 Posts
leather is REALLY tough to work with. Harder than you would think. One thing to try is a rather old school trip upholstery shops used back in the day before steamers were popular. Basically you will take a bowl full of water, and put a couple of face cloths in the water. Make sure they are fully submerged. Then microwave the cloths in the water for 5 mins. It will be STUPID hot when it comes out, so be careful, but take those cloths and lay them onto the wrinkles in the leather. Allow to sit until they are cool to the touch. Then when you take them off, the leather will have relaxed and most, if not all, of the wrinkles will have come out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
leather is REALLY tough to work with. Harder than you would think. One thing to try is a rather old school trip upholstery shops used back in the day before steamers were popular. Basically you will take a bowl full of water, and put a couple of face cloths in the water. Make sure they are fully submerged. Then microwave the cloths in the water for 5 mins. It will be STUPID hot when it comes out, so be careful, but take those cloths and lay them onto the wrinkles in the leather. Allow to sit until they are cool to the touch. Then when you take them off, the leather will have relaxed and most, if not all, of the wrinkles will have come out.
That's pretty cool! May look into that for the rear seats after transporting anything with them folded flat.

·
Registered
311 Posts
That's pretty cool! May look into that for the rear seats after transporting anything with them folded flat.

Its worked great for me in the past. Granted it doesn't come out PERFECT right away, but it will certainly greatly reduce any wrinkles. The rest of the little wrinkles will just work themselves out as the material stretches over time and when we have some nice hot summers.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Not to thread jack but have you noticed any inconsistencies in the leather grain? On mine I see the grain pretty defined and then there are patches of really smooth leather
I'm not sure if that's just me or not, it seems like the "grainy" leather is much stiffer as well, I try to clean them and uv protectant them once every month or two

Not sure if there's anything to do other than just deal with it

1 - 20 of 29 Posts