Ford Focus ST Forum banner

St3 Recaros vs "real" racing seats

10K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  DanM 
#1 ·
Hey all, interested in switching my 2015 st1 seats out for either a set of st3 leather seats, or I have been looking at seats from Braum racing.

Do the st3 seats perform like aftermarket racing seats? Are they a big bolstering step up from the st1?

When I got the st I figured the bolstering on the st1 seats felt good enough, but it has broken in and is too soft for my liking now.

(I wont be using a harness so that doesnt factor in)

Thanks

#2 ·
Hey all, interested in switching my 2015 st1 seats out for either a set of st3 leather seats, or I have been looking at seats from Braum racing.

Do the st3 seats perform like aftermarket racing seats? Yeah, kinda. Are they a big bolstering step up from the st1? Yes.

When I got the st I figured the bolstering on the st1 seats felt good enough, but it has broken in and is too soft for my liking now.

(I wont be using a harness so that doesnt factor in) Those who rode in my car during AutoX agree a harness isn't needed with my ST3 seats. Tighen down the seatbelt and you don't move at all.

Thanks
Some input added. :)

#3 ·
The Recaros are far superior hugging seats, but your size & body type are a major factor in these seat's comfort. I'm 5-9 160# and the seats are the most supportive OEM seats I've ever had. That being said, if you have a thicker build, I would think they would be too tight.

Having autocrossed in leather seats before, I greatly prefer cloth to prevent sliding on smooth leather, so I suggest ST2 seats. But thats just my own preference.

#7 ·
I laughed my ass off. I have done that and since that day I've exited and entered the car an entirely different way.

@brian60 thanks for the feedback, helpful!
Sure thing man, unless you are a bigger framed person like previously mentioned you'll love the ST3 seats after a week or two of getting used to them! I know I do, favorite seats I've ever been in. And they are sexy looking also if you keep them maintained.

#15 ·
CG locks were great. My issue was that last three years I was regularly tracking my last track toy. It never failed, towards the end of every season the cg lock would literally break apart. the hinge mechanism would literally break apart. I had to replace about 3 in total within 3 seasons or so. No I wasnt being abusvie at all. I made sure it was installed correctly, and used correctly. I like to think that maybe it was the crazy g forces from my evo 8, idk. lol. It is a awesome product I just had issues with them failing mid season.

#13 ·
I got to take some focuses out on the track, one had the st1 cloth seats. For the cost difference to buy a ST with the leather recaros, I say its not worth the difference for the minor improvement, imo. I have autox and road raced with cars that have had fixed race seats and autoxing in the cloth ST1 seats are just fine. I dont have any issues sliding around. My only complaint is the textured grey fabric on the seat cushion bothers me on longer drives as my legs move on the seat. I have a stockier build so maybe I just need to lose weight. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.