Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 IS ST3
Headlight bulb right side burned out.
RockAuto didn't have the D8S bulb/ignitor even listed....
I couldn't even order it on Fordparts.com. It said to call....
Finally went to dealer Parts Dept. He said he never replaced a ST3 HID bulb/ignitor yet....
He didn't have any, and his inventory showed that there was not even one on Long Island...

Anyway, I ordered one, it came.
I got the old bulb/ignitor out, not a huge deal, just a bit tight to twist out, exactly as an old thread explains.
But that thread does not explain how to reinstall a replacement bulb.

How do I get the new one in?
I replaced the plastic bracket thingy with the one from the old bulb/ignitor.
I can't get the new bulb to seat tightly. No matter what I try.
Nothing has broken off, and the new bulb works, just not secured right.
It is visually the same as the old bulb, short of taking a caliper to it.
All markings on the ignitor casing are identical.

Any tricks for this?
Driving with one headlight for a week and a half now.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm having the same issue.
Drivers side low beam is burn out and I can't find anywhere to order one from.
I have my local custom shop that ordered one for me from the UK but I'd like to have another for backup.
Once the shop gets the bulb in I'll let you know how I make out with installing it.
Any advice on where to order these from would be appreciated.

·
Registered
882 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
We've never come across a "D8S" bulb size, but 99% of Fords use a D3S, which is a simple replacement, available here on our site: Diode Dynamics: CNLight Replacement D3S HID Bulbs (pair)

I recommend swapping the bad bulb to the other side to see if the problem follows. If it does, you just need a pair of bulbs. If it stays on that side, you'll need a new factory ballast.

Thanks!
Nick C.
D3s will not work without modification. Also, the d8s bulb is a 25w bulb and d3s is a 35w.
See this thread for details.
d8s bulbs have an extra notch around 8:00 in the below picture. To use a d3s bulb, you must swap to 35 ballast and cut a notch in the bulb base to fit. It's not that difficult but some are not comfortable doing it.
d8s is on the left and d3s is on the right.

OEM Osram 25w bulbs are available on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/OSRAM-XENARC...e=UTF8&qid=1508162666&sr=8-1&keywords=d8s+hid

·
Vendor
503 Posts
Interesting, my apologies for assuming it was D3S. I know the EU-spec cars use the 25W HID bulbs, just didn't expect it on the ST3.

The RS uses a lot of EU-spec sizes too FWIW

Nick C.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry to dig this thread back up but can I ask for some help and/or guidance? I'm in Canada and had the recall done that, as far as I know, replaced the whole headlight unit because the LED DRLs were not bright enough for our regulations so the xenons are on all the time. I regularly get an error on the center screen saying there is a headlight fault and the headlight level dips WAY down. A couple days ago I lost the driver's side D8s bulb and it's getting a bit spooky driving on dark highways were my visible range can drop to ~50ft.

Dipping.jpg Left Side.jpg Right Side.jpg

I bought a pair of new D8s bulbs before really knowing what I was getting into but when I was trying to pull the dead bulb, I was sort of stopped by the broken tab on the left headlight. I assume the dealer mechanic broke (both) when the recall was done but I don't have proof of this. I looked at the right side and the clip to remove the connector was broken in pretty much the same way.

Should I just yank the connector out to order to swap the bulbs and hope it doesn't break more? Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
11,830 Posts
Sorry to dig this thread back up but can I ask for some help and/or guidance? I'm in Canada and had the recall done that, as far as I know, replaced the whole headlight unit because the LED DRLs were not bright enough for our regulations so the xenons are on all the time. I regularly get an error on the center screen saying there is a headlight fault and the headlight level dips WAY down. A couple days ago I lost the driver's side D8s bulb and it's getting a bit spooky driving on dark highways were my visible range can drop to ~50ft.

View attachment 284689 View attachment 284697 View attachment 284705

I bought a pair of new D8s bulbs before really knowing what I was getting into but when I was trying to pull the dead bulb, I was sort of stopped by the broken tab on the left headlight. I assume the dealer mechanic broke (both) when the recall was done but I don't have proof of this. I looked at the right side and the clip to remove the connector was broken in pretty much the same way.

Should I just yank the connector out to order to swap the bulbs and hope it doesn't break more? Thanks in advance.
Those tabs break all the time. Dont just yank it.

Take a small flathead and pry the locking tab up. It is a "rectangular hoop" that sits on top of a nubbin on the headlight. You can get the flathead on the nubbin, and work it gently towards the front of the car to lift the "rectangular hoop".

Then a whole lot of shimmy to release the headlight connector while awkwardly supporting the headlight. I cradle it in one arm with my knee as support while i release the tab and shimmy the connector. The headlight can scratch your bumper, so you want to be careful, potentially place a towel or something under the headlight to be safe.

Take your time, and the connector will most likely be a huge pain to release.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts