Ford Focus ST Forum banner

ST3 Active headlights not being.. active?

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Kurto57 
#1 ·
2013 ST3
Bought 2nd hand a few months ago, active headlights were doing their thing, moving left and right and self leveling however they seem to have just stopped. Is there's a diagnostic test that can be completed to manually force the headlights to do some kind of self test? I really liked this feature! Otherwise the headlights work fine.

#2 ·
I don't know if the 2013 ST3 is the same as my 2018 ST3 (Cdn); mine steer only (which they check on start-up) but they do not self-level. Additionally, they only do the steer thing if the lights are on automatic, if you just switch them to on, they remain fixed.

#3 ·
thanks for the reply!

I was aware of the Auto switch needing to be activated after doing some internet research on my problem. When I turn on the car, they go super bright and then back down to normal driving brightness but don't do the little dance anymore :( I've read about one being faulty and they get confused and throw a code but I haven't experienced that. The prev. owner also had them replaced during the recall early on. It's like they just decided to turn into fixed headlights, maybe I'm lucky it happened that way?

#4 ·
I purchased the extended code reading capabilities for my code reader and was able to pull these codes:

Body Control Module B123A-15 Body Confirmed Left Front Turn Indicator
Body Control Module B123B-15 Body Confirmed Right Front Turn Indicator
Body Control Module B1C77-19 Body Confirmed Rear Wiper Relay Coil Circuit
Body Control Module B1D00-15 Body Confirmed Lefthand Low Beam Circuit
Body Control Module B1D01-15 Body Confirmed Righthand Low Beam Circuit
Powertrain Control Module P26DE-00 PowerTrain Pending Engine Sound Control Circuit Performance
Powertrain Control Module P26DE-00 PowerTrain Confirmed Engine Sound Control Circuit Performance

I'm not worried about the Engine sound codes, as it comes and goes depending on how cold is it outside. But is anyone able to decipher why I would be getting codes for turn indicators and low beam circuit even though all of those things work perfectly ASIDE from my active headlights? maybe this is the smoking gun? Any idea's where I should start?

#5 ·
Make:Ford
Code:B123A:15
Definition:Left Front Turn Indicator: Circuit Short To Battery or OpenFailure Type:Circuit Short To Battery or Open
This sub type is used for failures, where the condition detected by the control module is the same for either indicated failure mode.

Looks like these are all, short to battery or Open codes....

#7 ·
I had my headlights out yesterday, peeked in all the removable covers and gave the housing a few taps with a rubber mallet but no go. Not sure what happened to them! I even manually adjusted them as they were quite low, made a huge difference in visibility but didn't jar anything lose in respect to getting my active headlights working again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.