Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my commute to work this morning I was attempting to accelerate to merge with highway traffic when my car refused to speed up. My boost gauge showed I was still getting boost, but the car barely sped up at all. Further, it seemed as if there was more turbo noise than normal. I had a sinking feeling for a moment at the possibility I put 87 oct in my car, only to remember I got gas two days before and the issue would have certainly come up sooner. I also checked my credit card statement and the math told me it wasn't that. I do have an Injen CAI and I popped the hood to see if it had thrown a hose or something, but I couldn't see anything. I am not entirely sure what the problem is but I'm hesitant to take it to Ford for fear they will try to blame the intake and nullify my warranty. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Put the stock intake back on and take it.

Reactions: Dan00Hawk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does it stop acting up if you restart the car? If so I'm having the same issue. It's only happened to me 3 times in the last 2 months.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Were you stuck at a stop light or in traffic for a while?
The stock FMIC can heat soak very badly leaving the car to pull power on the next time it tries you want it to accelerate.

All the hoses look ok from turbo to intercooler to intake?

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
If it were a boost leak I would guess you wouldn't be building boost, as that has been my experience when my charge hose popped off. I would check the connection of the turbo at the down pipe my next thought would be one of the fuel pumps might be bad.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@spice.blake - Mysteriously it didn't happen on my commute home that day and didn't happen again until this morning. Same exact thing as the first time: sounds like I'm making boost, boost gauge says I'm making boost, but it accelerated like a corolla. I will certainly check all the hoses when I get home, but I suspect it's something else given the length of time it went between the first and second instance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Update - I found a similar thread on reddit and a few guys were talking about the possibility of it being the BPV, which I decided made some sense. Naturally, I replaced it with a BOV. It was an easy "fix" and it only took me about an hour. Three months went by with no issue until yesterday when it happened on my way home from work and again this morning. Yesterday on my way home, I got to a stop light and restarted my car, which seemingly resolved the issue. I was unable to do that on my way to work this morning so I just had to deal with horrible acceleration. However, it does feel like the problem isn't quite the same this time. It seemed like it was intermittently accelerating like normal and not accelerating at all. It happens very fast, almost like fluttering, but it's a noticeable difference. Not that it makes things any better, just different.

·
Super Moderator
1,365 Posts
Update - I found a similar thread on reddit and a few guys were talking about the possibility of it being the BPV, which I decided made some sense. Naturally, I replaced it with a BOV. It was an easy "fix" and it only took me about an hour. Three months went by with no issue until yesterday when it happened on my way home from work and again this morning. Yesterday on my way home, I got to a stop light and restarted my car, which seemingly resolved the issue. I was unable to do that on my way to work this morning so I just had to deal with horrible acceleration. However, it does feel like the problem isn't quite the same this time. It seemed like it was intermittently accelerating like normal and not accelerating at all. It happens very fast, almost like fluttering, but it's a noticeable difference. Not that it makes things any better, just different.

What gear are you in when you noticed this, and what speed were you at? just curious.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Have you checked for stored codes? My old Focus went into limp mode twice and didn't throw an active CEL, but had a code stored for the HPFP. After much swearing thinking it was a major issue (like eating the cam and worse as with VW), I tried unplugging the connector to the HPFP and plugging it back in. Cleared the code, restart, and it was like nothing happened. No discernible corrosion on the connector, but I can't argue that it fixed it and the problem didn't recur for about 40k miles and it was fixed the second time the same way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What gear are you in when you noticed this, and what speed were you at? just curious.
Throughout each instance it has certainly happened in each gear. It's like when if happens initially, it will happen in any gear at any speed until the car is restarted. I haven't noticed a pattern with the problem starting in the same gear, that doesn't mean there isn't one though I suppose.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts