Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am currently in the midst of the install, but I wanted to start this so I had documentation, this will undergo quite a bit of editing as time goes on. Reason for starting this thread is also because I was appalled at the lack of information available to those of us with ST1's in terms of audio installs.

So, I am currently installing:
1) Sundown SA-8 Dual 2-ohm sub
2) Rockford Fosgate R750-1D
3) Audiocontrol LC2i LOC.

20160623_172056.jpg

I designed a custom enclosure that is 0.75 Cu.Ft. and tuned to 35 Hz.
Sub_Design_1.png

I bought a KnuKonceptz wiring kit that included true 4 gauge power and ground wire for the amp, 12 gauge wire for the sub, a super long shielded RCA cable, wire terminations that are gold plated, and a water proof fuse holder. Was about $60 but the quality is up there and I am happy I went with them.

I also purchased an aero port for my enclosure as it allows for less area and therefore, a shorter port length allowing me to make my box smaller in footprint.
(Insert picture when it arrives)

I will also be doing a wiring guide in this thread once everything is underway, as I just managed to get the wires started in the grommet in the firewall as it became to dark to even see what was going on. But then again I started very late....

Also fun fact, my amp is the cheapest line Rockford makes, yet the birth certificate says it dyno'd at 890 watts...which means I will have to lower the gain on the amp, so I can utilize the remote knob fully without worrying about where to stop to prevent damage.

20160623_183036.jpg 20160623_183429.jpg

EDIT (6/22): Okay so I ran the amp power, RCA's and the amp gain knob, but due to the fact it was dark by the time I had finished, I will update tomorrow with pictures and probably a video describing wiring layout better. Also the sub and port arrive tomorrow so I will take pictures of that and update then. I also won't be building the enclosure until next weekend probably as I get paid next Thursday, and then I can afford to splurge again.

Right now I recommend being careful when running wire through the firewall grommet, I can now hear my engine through there as the hole is too large, I will have to use something to seal it up at some point before the glove box goes back on.

EDIT (6/28): Okay, this is a very late update but I finally finished the wiring!!!!!!!!
So here is how everything should be wired. Note: I was going to use this harness so I didn't end up modifying the stock harness, well I decided to forego that and be a man and just modify the stock harness.

So for the LC2i you need the following wires hooked up:

(The speaker wires are behind the radio and on the driver side most connector)
Left+ --> White (May look violet like mine did, but officially it is white)
Left- --> White/Brown Stripe (Once again, white may look violet)
Right+ --> White/Purple Stripe (Stripe looks similar to brown so be careful, and white looks violet again...)
Right- --> White/Orange Stripe (Stripe may look reddish, but it is actually orange, just a forewarning)

+ 12V --> Use a mini add-a-circuit that uses the fuse socket F85 behind the glovebox, this will be the forth
fuse down on the right most column of fuses.
Ground --> Just use a bolt around the glove box, I used the one that holds the dash in by the passenger door.
Remote Out --> goes to the amps remote terminal

Bass Output --> Goes into your sub amp, which is what I am using this for, you can also use main output
for a mids/highs amp if you so choose, but an LC7i is recommended if you plan on both.

The wiring for the Amp was easy, just fuse off the battery and run the the grommet behind the glove box, run from the inside as that is the easiest way to access. It will be a pain to route the wire along the back firewall, but be patient.

For the ground I used a bolt under the foam on the passenger side of the hatch, there are two bolts that you need to get a nut for, still have to do this myself, but choose one and use a wire brush to remove the paint.

That is all for wiring!!! You should be done at this point and be able to finish route the wires. I just finished the wiring about 20 mins ago and played some sound through it to have fun.

Now on to setting gains: (DON'T have any speaker on the amp side hooked up, this will stress them)
First either make a CD with test tones and put a track on repeat, or download the app ToneGen for the play store, not sure if iphones have the same app, but it just gives the option of generating a sine wave at a set frequency and doesn't time out.

I set mine to a sine wave and 50 Hz initially, but you do have to check more frequencies, low frequencies for sub amp and high frequencies for highs amp, to check the voltage out of the LC2i. You need to read your amp manual to see what max voltage it wants on the input. Like mine wants a max of 4 volts input to it. Measure voltage with a multi-meter and use VAC as the signal is not a DC voltage.

Now once you are done setting the LC2i's voltage, go to your amp and adjust gain using the same tones, set the voltage on the amp to V = SQRT( RMS*Impedance ). Basically take the power of the RMS amp, if yours came with a birth sheet, use that RMS, if not just use the rated RMS at the impedance you are running it at.

BTW, make sure if you have a remote knob to disconnect it while doing this as it can skew the numbers, once done then reconnect it. This voltage is what should be going to your sub, from your amp. Mine would be V = SQRT( 890 * 1 ) = 29.83 Volts, so I would adjust gain to that value and then can hook up the sub and have fun.

The "finished" product, still need to do carpet or some covering(haven't decided yet) and at some point I will make the wiring look better, but it has worked for months and I really don't feel like messing it up. Plus the extra length lets me pull it out and work on it on the edge of the hatch. The floor will be done this week most likely, my friend has a scroll saw, so I will see if that will be able to cut the shape I need out of the last piece, if not a jig saw will do.

20161221_160007.jpg 20161221_160010.jpg 20161221_160155.jpg 20161221_160158.jpg

I also installed Infinity Primus PR6500cs and PR6502IS to replace all of the door speakers, I don't have any install pics or video as I was doing the build in my student organizations office when I was between classes, and then installed in my car in less than 30 minutes.

The hardest part with that install was the fact I had to take off the door panels for a couple days so I could reuse the stock speaker rim to install the new ones.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Be glad you have an ST1. I have a 2014 ST3 and am still running my JL 8W7 on the factory amp because of known LOC issues and haven't had time to jack with it and get a proper setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Be glad you have an ST1. I have a 2014 ST3 and am still running my JL 8W7 on the factory amp because of known LOC issues and haven't had time to jack with it and get a proper setup.

You think I am lucky, until you realize that there is no single source that information is held. I have looked in at least 50 threads across 3 or so forums just to find info. out on the ST1. Then I just gave up and decided I would figure it out myself.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I just did almost the same setup for the local NEst fb detailer. Same knu kit, but with a sundown sd3 12. Think it took me about 3 hours start to finish. I'd recommend a little extra speaker wire to tap into the lines behind the radio to the hatch. This allows you to use the same power and ground as your amp. Plus keep everything close.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
406 Posts
Looks good. Still wanting to see your custom enclosure OP! I have a custom enclosure and a custom floor so I didn't have to cut up the factory floor. Here it is:

Image1466879293.783009.jpg

Image1466879340.663429.jpg

Image1466879355.278963.jpg

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I can't wait to see my own enclosure!!! ;P

I have been stuck unable to do anything until after July 4th or 5th as I don't have the parts needed to finish and my mom is visiting for all of next weekend, which means no install. :/

@SuperStoopid What did you make the floor out of ?!?! My stock floor went to **** because I tried to transport an engine in my car, and ended up getting oil and coolant spilled all over it and the engine gouged the floor pretty badly. I would love to make one to allow me to make an even better sub enclosure that is slightly recessed in the floor.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So an update now that I know a false floor is possible, and quite cheap in comparison to the stock one, I have updated the design to work with this to make it easier to make myself. Recessed sub.png Cutaway sub.png Cutaway sub 2.png

Still the same volume and port length, but different sub location(now on top) and moved the amp to the top for better cooling, and to look nicer, to me at least. Will start modeling the false floor in a bit, trying to figure out exactly how I want to make it right now.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Edited the OP, so I will do teh bumpz.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, little update:

I bought some wood flooring for the hatch floor, so I will have nice bamboo floors soon as well as I will be picking up the mdf soonish. I am planning on building this weekend at my bosses house as he actually has the tools I need to make most of this. I can't order the carpet for the sub box yet sadly :/ so that will be the very last thing I do on the build. I have tested the audio system, but haven't set the gains for the amp yet as my multi-meter just died...but I did set the gains on the LC2i and they were perfect out of the box for voltage at least, I need to build the box before I can test the bass drop off point.

If there are any questions let me know, I can take pictures soon, but it is really hot and I have to do a lot to take pictures, so I may wait till tomorrow morning, or later tonight depending on temperatures.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Sorry about the slow reply. I used two pieces of 1/4" plywood and just carpeted it. Wish I would have used something a bit thicker though. Too much weight or a moderate amount of in one corner makes it seem a little flimsy.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, quick update.

So tomorrow I will be going to my bosses house a build the enclosure finally, as well as cutting the wood floor to size and glueing it together. Will update tomorrow with pictures from the build if I have time to take some, if not I will post pictures of the final product. I have been lazy about pictures because I want to hear it and then make sure everything is exactly how I want it before I go around showing it off on the internet. ;P

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, I have the sub box built, I love the way it looks. I can't wait till the glue cures and I am able to actually use the sub for the first time, I may attempt to do it tonight, or wait till tomorrow which is the safer bet. But I will be uploading some pictures later tonight as I have been working in 95 F temps since 10 this morning, and plus I haven't eaten and it is 2:30 right now :(

But I will have to wait on the wood flooring as it is bamboo and my bosses saw needs a new blade in order to cut something that dense. So I may just buy him a new one so we can cut it soonish.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, So last night I did decide to use the sub as I couldn't wait any longer, had it on low power and it sounded amazing. Had to reset all gains as I accidentally left the bass boost on from the headunit, which skewed all gain values. So I will have to go and fine tune it again. :(

But I can't find tune in my apartment complex as there is no place to do it without bothering people, I tried within 20 seconds there was a person staring at me from the window...but you really can't hear my sub from outside, so idk what there problem was, I can stand outside and not even notice a sub is in my car.

Anyways, I will try and drive somewhere later today and shoot a small video as I don't want to piss of my neighbors in the process. But it sounds very good, just need to wait till the binding posts arrive so I can do a final setup for the amp, as it is just sitting on top of the spare atm.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Any updates on this? pics?
Sorry, got caught up with work, and then had to go back to school and just forgot entirely to update the thread.

I can take pics in a minute, but I am working on another project for us ST guys who want great wheel fitment, so I may get lost again...Just bump the thread if no post by later tonight with everything.

EDIT: I am currently editing a 10 minute video from clips I took during install, I tried to go record a video now but my neighbors had lawn guys out and therefore the audio would have been complete ****. I probably won't be able to make a video of the finished product until next Tuesday at the earliest as I am busy due to the holidays. If that changes there will be a new video in the OP. But I will upload what pictures I have atm, and take more on Tuesday as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts