Ford Focus ST Forum banner

61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
That's not necessarily true. Our ST1 has gotten something like 17k miles in 9 months. That doesn't sound like too much until I tell you that it has never been driven to work. If it was an RS I would feel bad banging it out and throwing it in the garbage. Part of what makes the car enjoyable is that it is somewhat disposable. At the end of the day...it's a Focus and it was $17k. Have I wanted an RS? Yeah. Until I rode in one and it still wasn't all that quick, still a focus. Have I wished that I spent twice as much? HELL NO! That's new Mustang GT kind of prices.
I agree with this take. I was initially attracted to the concept of owning a Focus via the RS, but for my usage (a daily driver, that sometimes gets taken on long trips to obscure destinations (for work)) the idea of piling miles on an RS for close to double the money of my new ST3 lost it's relative appeal. I tried explaining why the ST was a fun, guilt-free, pseudo-disposable car to friends of mine who argued that I should've gone for an RS, but I'm happy with this compromise. It's 80% of an RS at in my case nearly half the price (paid about $25k OTD for a new 2017 ST3 (5 miles), and I won't feel compelled to "save" the car if that makes sense.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I’ve always said that the ideal setup would be the ST1 seats w/ the Titanium infotainment system. The Recaro ST3 seats look fantastic but are less than ideal for daily driving, for most people. Also, those ST1 seats needed to be black w/ the red ST logo, not that two-tone Grey. I have no idea who makes these decisions at Ford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Of course- this is completely subjective, and everyone should get what suits them best, but I agree with you that the ST3 seats look awesome. Knowing that some stated that they are not comfortable- when I was researching Focus ST's I sat in an ST3 for over an hour at a dealership selling a used one. The car was modified, and the carfax showed that there was damage repaired on the roof of the car (!) so they knew I was not interested in that particular car, but that I was potentially interested in another Focus ST3 they thought they might obtain. After sitting in the car for what I considered a significant enough amount of time, I found that they were comfortable to me. I ended up purchasing a car at a dealership 5 hours away from where I live, so my first drive in the car (other than the test drive) was a long one, and I was perfectly comfortable during and after the drive, and I still really like the ST3 seats. For those with the same concern, I would recommend testing them out before buying.

·
Premium Member
2014 Focus ST ST3.
443 Posts
I love my ST1! No remorse here. Had Thor for over 5 years now with 61k miles and still have a blast every time I get in the drivers seat. I did not want leather seats and didn't need the fancier stereo. I only wish I had a sunroof.
love the name you gave it, 'THOR'. A friend of a friend also named his car 'THOR'... Its a Koenigsegg Agera tho...

Attachments

Reactions: Pooper Scooper

·
Registered
16 Posts
Obviously based on the different responses it's truly a personal preference. I've owned base vehicles and the loaded version of the same car. I've never complained about the upgraded amenities but when reverting to the base car, there are so many things I miss. I have a fully loaded ST3 listed for sale now "2016 ST3 Kona Blue with RS Brakes". I spent enough time in an ST1 to know I wanted the ST3 (and not even the ST2).

We also have a Base '17 FiST and a fully loaded '19 FiST with Recaro's and the better SYNC system - when I get in the base 17, the seats feel flat and eerily similar to my '88 5.0 LX cloth seats.

I have a '16 Shelby GT350 Track Pack too with the base radio and very few options. I wish I would have waited 1 year so I could have the Track Pack WITH SYNC. So there it is - I have regrets with my Base model decisions.

Finally, my wife got a killer deal on a new Ranger Sport, but it's kind of a Base model. She really hates having to stick a physical key in the ignition of a 2019 automobile. She wishes she got the upgraded model. Even a brand new Base RAPTOR uses an old school ignition key. Come on FORD.

N2OBLU

·
Registered
917 Posts
Can't fit my torso in the Recaros, and as far as the touch-screen & climate control.....been there, done that. I put a nice set of Titanium leathers in my first ST1, which made it perfect in my eyes. I may do it again. Never been fond of the looks of the ST1 cloth, but the seats fit me fine.

·
Registered
2014 Focus ST2
71 Posts
The titanium leathers are fantastic. Have them in my ST2. I did however put the recaros back in the front, and left the titanium in the rear.
You'd love the phoenix automotive 10.4 inch display. I actually ordered it and was disappointed because they are made primarily for the ST1.. Shame really.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey everyone,

I’m new here but have lurked for a bit and appreciate all the knowledge here.

I am about to pull the trigger on a CPO 2018 Focus ST1 with 16k miles. My only question before I do is does anyone have buyers remorse after buying an ST1 model? Would I be better served by waiting to seek out a higher trim package?

This will be a fun, commuter to work and weekend toy for me. Thanks!
I have an ST1, and I LOVE the seats. This was the entire reason I got this trim level VS. the the recaaros. I'm
180 pounds. I test drove the Recaro seats and they were literally restricting my breathing...they were pressing on my ribs from behind. Also the way the seats are angled, and they are hard....they were cutting into the back of my upper thigh, in a slightly painful irritating way after only 15 minutes driving. I could never live with that. although my seats aren't leather they still hold you in place well, and are all day comfortable.

You must be a small man, to fit the Recaro seats. DO NOT get them if you aren't....you'll hate them, and make
lies to yourself trying to convince yourself that they aren't that bad...when deep down....they irritate the hell out of you...LOL

ALL trim levels have all the go fast goodies, so there is NO advantage there to get the higher trims.

Hope this helps...:)

Mark

·
Registered
2018 Ford Focus ST
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Thanks man! I definitely am not 6’6 280 like some of these dudes. I question how they comfortably fit in a Focus regardless of seats 😂

I’m more of a Fiesta sized (5’4”/165) guy.
I am excited and should be picking up the car today. 😁

·
Registered
727 Posts
My opinion on the ST3 seats & RS seats is this: If you have shorter commutes to work, 20 miles or less & only drive 10k miles or less per/year, then they’re probably doable. But if you’re someone that spends hours per/week in traffic, likes to take long road trips etc., then I’d think twice about getting those seats. I remember the first time I sat into the RS seats. The first thing I said was ‘I can’t move my legs’ & I’m only 170LBs. I’d say if anyone has over a 34in waist then maybe forget about it or do an extensive test drive, not just around the block & back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks man! I definitely am not 6’6 280 like some of these dudes. I question how they comfortably fit in a Focus regardless of seats 😂

I’m more of a Fiesta sized (5’4”/165) guy.
I am excited and should be picking up the car today. 😁

I'm 6'3", 180 lbs and muscular. (42L in a suit) You may ONLY be 165 but you are likely....a little wider than me. THAT is where the problem may be. It was the width
of my ribcage, that caused the breathing issues. MAKE SURE you take it on a LONG test-drive ....at least 45 minutes just to make sure you don't have seat issues. Also
bring a thick winter coat....just to try out for size issues.

I would HATE for you to get stuck with the wrong seats....as cool as the Recaro seats are...it would RUIN a lot of the fun of these cars if you had
seat issues.

Mark

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone,

I’m new here but have lurked for a bit and appreciate all the knowledge here.

I am about to pull the trigger on a CPO 2018 Focus ST1 with 16k miles. My only question before I do is does anyone have buyers remorse after buying an ST1 model? Would I be better served by waiting to seek out a higher trim package?

This will be a fun, commuter to work and weekend toy for me. Thanks!
I have a ST1 2018 love it

·
Registered
2018 Ford Focus ST
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I'm 6'3", 180 lbs and muscular. (42L in a suit) You may ONLY be 165 but you are likely....a little wider than me. THAT is where the problem may be. It was the width
of my ribcage, that caused the breathing issues. MAKE SURE you take it on a LONG test-drive ....at least 45 minutes just to make sure you don't have seat issues. Also
bring a thick winter coat....just to try out for size issues.

I would HATE for you to get stuck with the wrong seats....as cool as the Recaro seats are...it would RUIN a lot of the fun of these cars if you had
seat issues.

Mark
Thanks Mark! You definitely are right. I have a wider, stocky build.

The car I’m going to go finish up the paperwork on today is an ST1. I have decided throughout reading everyone’s great point of views and insight I will stick to an ST1. This car is going to be a fun DD for me and I can add whatever infotainment and creature comforts I want later.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My opinion on the ST3 seats & RS seats is this: If you have shorter commutes to work, 20 miles or less & only drive 10k miles or less per/year, then they’re probably doable. But if you’re someone that spends hours per/week in traffic, likes to take long road trips etc., then I’d think twice about getting those seats. I remember the first time I sat into the RS seats. The first thing I said was ‘I can’t move my legs’ & I’m only 170LBs. I’d say if anyone has over a 34in waist then maybe forget about it or do an extensive test drive, not just around the block & back.

I agree with most of what you said.....

BUT

Why compromise, that you can only enjoy your car on short drives. Plus that's not the greatest for the mechanicals. You should be able to enjoy
your car on short AND long drives....I would NEVER compromise like THAT.....there's NO reason to...just get the comfortable seats, and don't worry
what others think. Your A$$ and ribcage will thank you in the ned...:)

Mark

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks Mark! You definitely are right. I have a wider, stocky build.

The car I’m going to go finish up the paperwork on today is an ST1. I have decided throughout reading everyone’s great point of views and insight I will stick to an ST1. This car is going to be a fun DD for me and I can add whatever infotainment and creature comforts I want later.

AWESOME...:)

I am VERY sad....I have to sell my ST, because I have had double knee replacement, and now shifting HURTS.

My car only has 13k extremely well taken care of miles.

Here's a link: 2014 Ford Focus ST | eBay

She's a beauty...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Something else to think about is a lot of larger-framed people find the recaro seats really uncomfortable. I'm 6'2 and 165 and they fit me like a glove. You also have to be careful getting in and out of them so you don't destroy the bolsters over time. They're expensive seats so i try to be careful with them. The past owner was not and there are already some signs of wear.
I test drove an ST3 and those seats were my biggest complaint from a guy who’s 5’4” at 185. I like the trim and all but my ST1 still turns heads. Mine has the red brake calipers and the upgraded wheels that look like star wheels. Also talked my car dealership into tinting those windows for me.
I tell mine, play it loud and it does!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks AWESOME...:)....love your audio install too !....VERY nice with color matching and a very CLEAN install.

You keep it nice and clean, just like I keep mine.

I am VERY sad....I have to sell my ST, because I have had double knee replacement, and now shifting HURTS....even after 2 years of healing.

My car only has 13k extremely well taken care of miles.

Here's a link: 2014 Ford Focus ST | eBay

So you can see what it looks like.

She's a beauty...

Mark

·
Registered
164 Posts
I make my car seats comfortable to me.I use a egg crate camping mat.I have my seat lowered all way down and raise rear of seat bottom with mat.I removed the tension on wires making the lumbar support shape in the seat back.Made lumbar support out of mat that worked for me.I did trail and error for many months but my modded seat was always better to me than stock.I drive 10 -12 hrs a week in comfort.Luv shifting gears. Your back and bottom will tell u when the seat is right. Will post pics later.

·
Registered
7 Posts
do you guys have staining problems with the cloth seats?
Use THIS STUFF.... It works absolutely amazing. My girlfriend is sexy as hell...and very JUICY...lol. she stained a seat in one of my other cars.... I tried all kinds of things to get it out unsuccessfully.

After being stained for over a year I used this stuff and it worked 100%... I was shocked as I had pretty much given up hope. I purchased it at Walmart.

Hope this helps...:)
20200627_115925.jpg

·
Registered
40 Posts
I test drove the 2018 ST3 and loved the looks of the interior and all the upgrades, but once I sat on seats and actually drove it, found that it was pretty restrictive for my liking so I bought the 2018 ST1.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Use THIS STUFF.... It works absolutely amazing. My girlfriend is sexy as hell...and very JUICY...lol. she stained a seat in one of my other cars.... I tried all kinds of things to get it out unsuccessfully.

After being stained for over a year I used this stuff and it worked 100%... I was shocked as I had pretty much given up hope. I purchased it at Walmart.

Hope this helps...:) View attachment 380295
Snail trails? Lol.

61 - 80 of 112 Posts