41 - 60 of 112 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Focus ST ST3.
443 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Jessi Combs lived by that mantra, but that's a tough place to be, even though it is sometimes beneficial in racing. I used to race SCCA IT-A, and was FAR from the fastest guy there, but I finished every race I ran, so I ended both seasons mid-pack because faster guys got into tangles and crashed out or broke the car. I'm not saying "slow and steady wins the race" but I'm in the "to finish first, you first must finish" camp...

·
Registered
665 Posts
You’ll always have buyers remorse if you don’t buy the car that you really want. In order words, if you buy a car based off of the price, to save money, you’ll never be happy. The minute you see that ST3 or RS rolling down the street you’ll be kicking yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't buy a lot of things, but I live by these words.

·
Registered
2015 Focus ST
69 Posts
Hey everyone,

I’m new here but have lurked for a bit and appreciate all the knowledge here.

I am about to pull the trigger on a CPO 2018 Focus ST1 with 16k miles. My only question before I do is does anyone have buyers remorse after buying an ST1 model? Would I be better served by waiting to seek out a higher trim package?

This will be a fun, commuter to work and weekend toy for me. Thanks!
I love my ST1! No remorse here. Had Thor for over 5 years now with 61k miles and still have a blast every time I get in the drivers seat. I did not want leather seats and didn't need the fancier stereo. I only wish I had a sunroof.

Reactions: G heinrich

·
Registered
2015 Focus ST
69 Posts
ST1 can do play thumb drives too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think the biggest difference is the seats (I have the ST3), especially when driving the curves aggressively. The other add ons arent really that important to me, as I scrapped the radio/speakers/amp. I do like the sunroof though. Best of luck!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm happy with my ST1. The only thing I've done to improve the interior is to install new rear speakers.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah I payed 19k out the door for my 2017 ST1 in December of 16.
I'm not personally into all the premium features, just more to fail over time.
I bought my st1 last week of November 2016 new.
Build date is November 2016.It is a 2016 model.What month is your build date ? Paid 21,300 out door.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine is a ‘18 ST1, was on clearance and the last one available. I can’t explain how much I love love love this car. I’m from a simple cloth, living in Az the windows are always up all I need is AC. Crank windows would have been a perfect option on the ST1.
Leather seats... oh hell no!! Black paint, black interior with leather skillet seats, not so much.
I’m perfectly ok with simple buttons, backup camera works good, the mirrors work great too.
Stereo, Eh..... but it was on clearance.

I’ve owned it since Feb ‘19, clocking in at 34K miles this week. Reliable, fun, fast.

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
1,099 Posts
I bought my st1 last week of November 2016 new.
Build date is November 2016.It is a 2016 model.What month is your build date ? Paid 21,300 out door.
Purchase December 16, built in 17. I was not exactly thrilled because I went in know exactly what I wanted and exactly how much I was going to spend. I also didn't finance mine that plays a huge part. That and waiting for the dealer to tell you that your car had finally showed up.

6 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Purchase December 16, built in 17. I was not exactly thrilled because I went in know exactly what I wanted and exactly how much I was going to spend. I also didn't finance mine is that plays a huge part. That and waiting for the dealer to tell you that your car had finally showed up.

6 miles on the odometer.
I wrote check for full amount.Was happy to get it for 21,300.It was brand new.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had an ST2 and loved the seats and stereo Im sure I still would have liked an ST1 but ST2 and ST3's just feel more upscale. This wasn't something I usually care about but came to appreciate. I had actually been looking for a Fiesta ST but found a great deal on the Focus ST2. Had I gotten the Fiesta or ST1 I would hVe always wondered whether I shoild have gotten an ST2. Had no regrets ever on my ST2. Only sold it due to getting deal on an RS. It's still your money so good luck

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have 2016 ST1 I bought with 20 miles on the odometer for 20.8 otd. The only feature I had to have was Recaro seats. I found a set eventually for $650 and did the swap and couldnt be happier, though in retrospect I probably should have bought an st2 outright since those dumb seats are that important to me. Personally I dont like the st1 seats but they are comfortable. Otherwise the car has been great except for a timing cover leak that needs to be fixed at some point. Currently at 41k.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have 2016 ST1 I bought with 20 miles on the odometer for 20.8 otd. The only feature I had to have was Recaro seats. I found a set eventually for $650 and did the swap and couldnt be happier, though in retrospect I probably should have bought an st2 outright since those dumb seats are that important to me. Personally I dont like the st1 seats but they are comfortable. Otherwise the car has been great except for a timing cover leak that needs to be fixed at some point. Currently at 41k.
My timing chain cover leak started slowly leaking at about 10k miles.Got fixed at 32k.81k now still good.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My timing chain cover leak started slowly leaking at about 10k miles.Got fixed at 32k.81k now still good.
That's good you got it fixed. I don't have a good dealer close that I trust to do the work. My car outside of the seats is completely stock though, so I have through November 2021 or 60k to get it fixed under powertrain. Eventually...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm happy with my ST-1. I read the Recaros get uncomfortable on long drives. I'm not sure everyone in my family would fit them anyway. I didn't need the added weight of a subwoofer and the amp to go with it. The last car I had a sunroof, I didn't like it, so I don't miss the sun/moon roof. The "infotainment" system in the ST-2's and 3's? Save if for the Flex. The entertainment system is in your hands and feet! I do wish it had heated mirrors. If it comes with the crap Pirelli all seasons' enjoy wearing them out and replace them with something good! CPO is the way to go, as long as the chucklehead before you didn't burn the clutch. I bought mine new because of that concern.

·
Registered
227 Posts
You’ll always have buyers remorse if you don’t buy the car that you really want. In order words, if you buy a car based off of the price, to save money, you’ll never be happy. The minute you see that ST3 or RS rolling down the street you’ll be kicking yourself.

That's not necessarily true. Our ST1 has gotten something like 17k miles in 9 months. That doesn't sound like too much until I tell you that it has never been driven to work. If it was an RS I would feel bad banging it out and throwing it in the garbage. Part of what makes the car enjoyable is that it is somewhat disposable. At the end of the day...it's a Focus and it was $17k. Have I wanted an RS? Yeah. Until I rode in one and it still wasn't all that quick, still a focus. Have I wished that I spent twice as much? HELL NO! That's new Mustang GT kind of prices.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, the sun roof and the Recaro seats designed for teenage girls was a deal breaker for me with the higher trims. 6'4", 270 lbs.

No issues with the lower trim, which has all the performance of the higher trims for less money.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Yes, the sun roof and the Recaro seats designed for teenage girls was a deal breaker for me with the higher trims. 6'4", 270 lbs.

No issues with the lower trim, which has all the performance of the higher trims for less money.

I’ve always said that the ideal setup would be the ST1 seats w/ the Titanium infotainment system. The Recaro ST3 seats look fantastic but are less than ideal for daily driving, for most people. Also, those ST1 seats needed to be black w/ the red ST logo, not that two-tone Grey. I have no idea who makes these decisions at Ford.

41 - 60 of 112 Posts