Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 112 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Focus ST ST3.
443 Posts
I love my ST3. I drove both packages. The recaro seats do make a difference. I slid from one side to the other during hard cornering and used my elbows to hold me in with the cloth seats that added no bolster. The ST3 cabin gives the feeling of quality and comfort. I have had no issues with the sync system and am content with the sound quality. The subwoofer is something to be desired tho. Plus those cloth seats will stain very, very easily. Do more research.... Drive both packages..

·
Registered
2017 Focus ST (ST2 package)
9 Posts
Hey everyone,

I’m new here but have lurked for a bit and appreciate all the knowledge here.

I am about to pull the trigger on a CPO 2018 Focus ST1 with 16k miles. My only question before I do is does anyone have buyers remorse after buying an ST1 model? Would I be better served by waiting to seek out a higher trim package?

This will be a fun, commuter to work and weekend toy for me. Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 Focus ST (ST2 package)
9 Posts
When I couldn't get a good deal on a 2017 RS I then decided to go with the cheapest ST. Local dealer had a white one and dark metallic blue. For whatever reason the blue was discounted to $20k but the white was $3k more. I told the sales woman to give me a call when the white one is discounted equally. Two months later it's about to turn January 2018 and another large volume dealer had 450 focuses on clearance. Less than 50 were ST but still at good discount. In the white color I wanted the cheapest was a ST2 model. And I am glad I went with that over the base model. I like the Recaro seats. The headlight upgrade is also a big deal for me. I do weekly work commute on interstate and some rural roads. The better headlights have helped me spot animals on the side of roads. Also, mine came with all season Pirelli tires; which being I bought the car 2 days after Christmas and living in the Chicago area was better for snowy roads. I have since bought Michelin X snow tires. Plus I prefer the ST2 wheels over the stock.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey everyone,

I’m new here but have lurked for a bit and appreciate all the knowledge here.

I am about to pull the trigger on a CPO 2018 Focus ST1 with 16k miles. My only question before I do is does anyone have buyers remorse after buying an ST1 model? Would I be better served by waiting to seek out a higher trim package?

This will be a fun, commuter to work and weekend toy for me. Thanks!
I don't know what accessories are on the different trim packages, but I bought a 2014 base model ST with Bluetooth connectivity and that's it, it's been a blast for almost 200,000 miles now, absolutely no regrets. I don't know that there is any difference in the amount of horsepower from one trim level to another, it all depends on what you want inside your vehicle. My thought is I don't need GPS, it's on my phone, I don't need a CD player, I don't need special seats. Buy what you want and what interests you, I bought mine because I was going through a divorce and basically had to start all over again. It depends on what you can afford, and what you want inside your car. I have a couple of old school Recaro Tomcats that I want to eventually throw in my ST, I originally bought them for my 93 RX-7, but they didn't fit. They are 1 set out of only 250 in the world. The picture below are NOT my actual seats, but they are the same seats.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There's a couple of things I like about my ST3. First, the Recaro seats allow me to drive long distances without my lower back hurting (I've had two lumbar surgeries). I don't know what it is, but they hold it just right.

Second, I keep 1400+ mp3s of my favorite songs on a flash drive, and I like being able to say something like "Play Pink Floyd" and have the car do it. Gives me a nice living-in-the-future feel.

I don't know if the latter is an ST3-only feature, but it's pretty cool.

It also has a sunroof, which I never, ever use.
Anthony,

I can feel your pain, I'm still recovering from a lumbar surgery, had mine done in February. Even the stock ST seats cradle me well, and I can usually driver for about four or five hours before my back starts to get sore.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I think this may be a particularly bad time to try to sell a car, no? I'm currently not able to work due to the pandemic, and I know many, many people in my same position. If I needed to buy a car now, I'd only do so if it were a deal that I felt was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, because the future is especially murky for some.

·
Premium Member
2014 Focus ST ST3.
443 Posts
definitely a buyers market rn

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I bought an ST1 and I don't regret it one bit. I didn't want to pay for a Sony stereo system so that I could just rip it all out anyways. And I'm 6.0' 235lbs so I didn't want the recaro seats either. Personally I'd just get an ST1 upgrade all the door speakers, head unit, and add a sub. Retrofit the headlights you'll be golden.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought an ST1 about 40k miles ago, only thing I wish I had was the recaro seats. Those seats are really polarizing it seems. I'll pay to swap! lol

·
Registered
959 Posts
No regrets, but I'm a special case because I wanted the lightest vehicle possible for autocrossing. I kind of wished I had the Recaros, but they're not worth the weight penalty to me and the ST1 seats, at least in the 2018, are adequate. I've heard the 2018 ST1 seats are better than prior years, never tried to confirm it.

Reactions: Akdiesel

·
Registered
59 Posts
I wasn’t buying this car unless it was in ST2 or ST3 trim. The Recaros were on my wish list and are worth it. You’ll be glad you got them every time you drive spirited. Also the bigger screen is really nice to have and HID lighting is so much better than the ST1’s halogens!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I kind of wish I had gotten an ST2 because the wife wants the sound system upgraded now. That said I haven't tried the ST2 seats. I did go for a ride in the neighbor's RS the other day and the seats were...not for me. So really aside from the sound system I don't regret it at all. I bought it because it was a cheapish car with decent MPG that I don't hate.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I kind of wish I had gotten an ST2 because the wife wants the sound system upgraded now. That said I haven't tried the ST2 seats. I did go for a ride in the neighbor's RS the other day and the seats were...not for me. So really aside from the sound system I don't regret it at all. I bought it because it was a cheapish car with decent MPG that I don't hate.
The ST2 seats have a little more give to them since it’s partial leather/cloth. Full leather ST3 ones do feel firmer in comparison.

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST1
22 Posts
ST1 here, no regrets. I had a sunroof on my old car, never used it. I had leather seats on my 93 BMW, and vowed to never own them again after enduring 104F California summers, back all wet even with the AC blowing ice cold. The cloth seats are epic imo. The GPS is on my iPhone. The only thing cool about the ST2 trim is the swivel lights and that’s it. The ST2 wheels look terrible imo. So no regrets.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Oh yeah I forgot. I do kind of wish I had some jazzier headlights like Stamper said. But in reality the ST1 headlights are just fine.

·
Banned
885 Posts
You’ll always have buyers remorse if you don’t buy the car that you really want. In order words, if you buy a car based off of the price, to save money, you’ll never be happy. The minute you see that ST3 or RS rolling down the street you’ll be kicking yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2014 Focus ST ST3.
443 Posts
do you guys have staining problems with the cloth seats?

21 - 40 of 112 Posts