Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ford Focus ST
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I’m new here but have lurked for a bit and appreciate all the knowledge here.

I am about to pull the trigger on a CPO 2018 Focus ST1 with 16k miles. My only question before I do is does anyone have buyers remorse after buying an ST1 model? Would I be better served by waiting to seek out a higher trim package?

This will be a fun, commuter to work and weekend toy for me. Thanks!

·
Registered
994 Posts
I purchased an st3 myself, but honestly i would have been just as happy with the st1. The car itself is the most fun car ive owned, makes me smile every time i throw it into a corner. I dont think the seat, lights, and radio difference would take anything away from the driving experience.

Reactions: Akdiesel

·
Registered
2018 Ford Focus ST
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also, I’ve attached the window sticker so everyone can see the options or lack of 😂

·
Registered
2018 Ford Focus ST
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I purchased an st3 myself, but honestly i would have been just as happy with the st1. The car itself is the most fun car ive owned, makes me smile every time i throw it into a corner. I dont think the seat, lights, and radio difference would take anything away from the driving experience.
That’s great to hear and I figured I would be in the same boat. The driving experience and thrill of having a nimble, quick and fuel efficient car outweighs options IMO. I just wasn’t sure because I’m going from old school luxury car (2008 MB S550 4Matic) so it’s a change of scenery for me.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Something else to think about is a lot of larger-framed people find the recaro seats really uncomfortable. I'm 6'2 and 165 and they fit me like a glove. You also have to be careful getting in and out of them so you don't destroy the bolsters over time. They're expensive seats so i try to be careful with them. The past owner was not and there are already some signs of wear.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I selected the ST1 for the... ahem... wider seating. But also because I wanted a car to DRIVE. I could care less about power windows, nav and stereo upgrades. I went from a fully loaded Grand Cherokee to the ST. Most people thought I was crazy to give up such a nice SUV, but I"ve never been happier. I'm 5 years into my ST and not even close to thinking about replacing it. In fact, sometimes I think I should pick up one more. So I don't regret it for a moment.

But, the thing is I knew exactly what I wanted. And did not want. The question you should be asking is, "Will I regret getting an ST1?" You are the one who will own it. If you like those features, you will find yourself wishing you had made a different choice. My dad worries about how much he spends on a car, then complains for years about what it is missing. Keep hunting and pay the extra if you can afford it.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kona Blue ST1
332 Posts
Yeah I payed 19k out the door for my 2017 ST1 in December of 16.
I'm not personally into all the premium features, just more to fail over time.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Yeah I payed 19k out the door for my 2017 ST1 in December of 16.
I'm not personally into all the premium features, just more to fail over time.
ditto here with my first ST...mine was 21 OTD for an 18 ST1 in late 18.

I myself wished I had gotten the ST3, MOSTLY for the bigger info screen and nav...I coulda cared less about sunroofs and seats.

so then, to the OP...
if I had known about Shop | NaviUpgrade I probably woulda kept the ST1 😂

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
2017 ST1 owner here. No regrets...quite the opposite.

I’m not one who needs a lot of the creature comforts found in modern cars.

I’m 6’4 and 197lbs as of this morning!! 😄

·
Registered
706 Posts
My 2016 ST1 is the second favorite car I've owned and, though it's only got under 160k miles on it, it's shaping up to be the most reliable among some very reliable cars. I can afford something more expensive, but even if I was a millionaire, there's frankly nothing I can think of that I would rather have for a daily driver and my complaints are minor things I'd find with any car (of course, had I that kind of money, I designed my own cars and I'd have someone build those for me as I work too slow to do it myself). It has character, is fun to drive, gets good mileage, and is practical. It's decently quick, but not too fast for a manual or so that you're at helicopter-chase-and-spike-strip-deployment speed before you can enjoy it. It blends in when you want it to, but is noticed by some people (but not so much that it's annoying).

I didn't negotiate and still only paid $23k and change brand new and I consider that stealing (my disappointing 2006 Mazda 3 cost that much ten years earlier and it didn't even get better gas mileage with almost 100 less hp and a greater gap in torque). Look at the other eunuch mobiles (like the stupid Ecosport, for instance) that cost more and deliver less. Really, the two things that keep it from being the favorite car I've owned is down to the nature of modern cars: steering feel isn't great (though it's decent by today's standards) and the visibility cannot match the slim pillars, low cowls, and greater glass area of older cars.

·
Registered
2018 Ford Focus ST
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the responses.

The nicest way to put this is not exactly a giant 😂 I’m 5’4, 165lbs so seat size isn’t an issue for me.

Wingnutt thanks for the link! I’ll check it out.

I’m definitely excited since the car is very low mileage and aside from its first owner being dirty it seems like a solid buy. M

Currently, it’s being recon’d at the dealer since I went and saw it hours after it was traded in lol. Hopefully it is done today or tomorrow and I’ll finally be a member of the family

·
Registered
481 Posts
No offense to anyone with an ST1, but all the dash buttons & tiny 4” screen wouldn’t be an option for me. It would be ST3 or RS for me, period. Are the seats tight? Yes they are, but it’s just something you’ll have to deal with to get the nicer infotainment & 8” backup screen.

That said, it’s just my opinion. If you like that CPO ST1, then buy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
No offense to anyone with an ST1, but all the dash buttons & tiny 4” screen wouldn’t be an option for me. It would be ST3 or RS for me, period. Are the seats tight? Yes they are, but it’s just something you’ll have to deal with to get the nicer infotainment & 8” backup screen.

That said, it’s just my opinion. If you like that CPO ST1, then buy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
that’s what I was referencing...swapping the screen/infotainment is an option I didnt know existed when I had my ST1, or I woulda kept it 😉

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think st1s are a few pounds lighter as well? If your into that sort of thing.

Maybe not mine with the moonroof but most st1s lol

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
460 Posts
2017 ST1 owner here. No regrets...quite the opposite.

I’m not one who needs a lot of the creature comforts found in modern cars.

I’m 6’4 and 197lbs as of this morning!! 😄
Same boat here. Got my 18 ST1 last May with 7k miles on it for $19,500 otd, and I was much happier having a newer car for less money without the features that don't matter to me anyway. Love how it drives, and I'm sure I wouldn't have enjoyed the features of an ST2 or 3 enough to justify the price difference.

·
Registered
519 Posts
At this point, Focus ST's are only available as preowned cars, so if you want one, you have to select one from what's available. The cars are all the same (mechanically) but for me- I really wanted the Recaro seats in the ST3 (and I'm 6'4" 190 lbs). I also appreciate the larger center screen, the footwell lights and the directional headlamps (which all came as part of the ST3 package) and the other features- but the seats are awesome, and hold you in really tight when you throw the car into a corner. I just knew I'd think about it every time I sat in the car. If that's not important to you, then an ST1 will make you just as happy. As a fellow gearhead, my advice to you is that you should not rush into a car purchase just because the car has low mileage, and may be nearby. Get what you really want (or as close to it as possible). ST2's and ST3's are available all around the country on the preowned market, and if the options are important to you, you may have to travel to get what you want- but buying a car is a rare treat, and is an event that as enthusiasts makes life sweeter. You only live once...

·
Registered
26 Posts
There's a couple of things I like about my ST3. First, the Recaro seats allow me to drive long distances without my lower back hurting (I've had two lumbar surgeries). I don't know what it is, but they hold it just right.

Second, I keep 1400+ mp3s of my favorite songs on a flash drive, and I like being able to say something like "Play Pink Floyd" and have the car do it. Gives me a nice living-in-the-future feel.

I don't know if the latter is an ST3-only feature, but it's pretty cool.

It also has a sunroof, which I never, ever use.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts