Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

For the past week or so, my ST has had a little bit of a struggle turning over and last night it coughed out its last bit of energy because this morning I go and try to start my car but nothing is happening. It sounded like it struggled to do something then nothing. The battery is fine, radio, dash, ac port works. I tried about 5 times to turn it on, locking and unlocking, and a couple times one windshield wiper whipped up which I thought was odd.

Car wont start, battery's fine. What else could be the problem? I also have a video I can upload somewhere.

Side note: the CEL, Oil pressure, Brake, Seatbelt lights remain. Could the sensors think the car is on? Or do they actually hint at the problem?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Hello,

For the past week or so, my ST has had a little bit of a struggle turning over and last night it coughed out its last bit of energy because this morning I go and try to start my car but nothing is happening. It sounded like it struggled to do something then nothing. The battery is fine, radio, dash, ac port works. I tried about 5 times to turn it on, locking and unlocking, and a couple times one windshield wiper whipped up which I thought was odd.

Car wont start, battery's fine. What else could be the problem? I also have a video I can upload somewhere.

Side note: the CEL, Oil pressure, Brake, Seatbelt lights remain. Could the sensors think the car is on? Or do they actually hint at the problem?
Are you positive the battery is fine? I've seen a lot of people say their battery isn't dead and they replace it and it works. I've seen threads before that said about the wipers going haywire if I can find them

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could be possible, if it has enough energy to power accessory would it be that I just need a charge or would I need a new battery completely? I got my car November 2015 I'm surprised it didn't last longer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
It could be possible, if it has enough energy to power accessory would it be that I just need a charge or would I need a new battery completely? I got my car November 2015 I'm surprised it didn't last longer

Did you try to bump start it? Or do you know how to? You could try that or just old fashion jumper cables just to make sure it isn't dead.

·
Registered
917 Posts
If you have a multi-meter at your disposal throw it on your battery and take some readings. At rest it should read ~12.6VDC. During cranking it should not drop below ~9.6VDC. While the car is running it should read ~14VDC which means your charging system is functioning properly.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
I'd bet it's the battery. Motorcraft batteries are not considered to be very reliable at all. I got about 1 year each out of them on my Taurus and Mazdas' respectively.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all, I got a new battery and installed yesterday. All the little quarks in the cluster seemed to go away with the new battery too that I've noticed. Hopefully duralast gold is the way to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts