Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had any fun with one of these? A buddy of mine that I work with just got his about a week or so ago, and another guy that we work with was playing devil's advocate saying that we should run each other. My car is pretty far from stock, and the N is bone stock, but he wanted to do a pull or two, so I said I was game. We did a couple of 60 rolls on a deserted stretch of road in Mexico, and I gave him the sauce. He was pretty full after I took him to Gapplebees, but again his car is bone stock.

All of that aside, they are pretty impressive little cars. And the exhaust sounds impressive in race mode, with lots of cracks and pops. He has plans for the car, so we'll see what happens in the future.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
that is good to know. I have been waiting for a Youtube review comparing the two cars. maybe one is out? I have seen a review on the N and the reviewer touched on the differences but didn't have any real direct comparisons or "head to head"

they have more HP(275) than a Focus ST stock but the TQ is lacking at 260

They are 5.2sec to 60 which is a second faster ST - 6.3
They are at 13.9 doing 102 - focus a car back and a second later coming in at 14.9

Even stage 3 STs aren't much faster than that sadly so.

Is your car stage 3 or BT? feel like the race should be close but the N driver didn't push it? or is lacking in driver mod. Did you brake boost? did he?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that is good to know. I have been waiting for a Youtube review comparing the two cars. maybe one is out? I have seen a review on the N and the reviewer touched on the differences but didn't have any real direct comparisons or "head to head"

they have more HP(275) than a Focus ST stock but the TQ is lacking at 260

They are 5.2sec to 60 which is a second faster ST - 6.3
They are at 13.9 doing 102 - focus a car back and a second later coming in at 14.9

Even stage 3 STs aren't much faster than that sadly so.

Is your car stage 3 or BT? feel like the race should be close but the N driver didn't push it? or is lacking in driver mod. Did you brake boost? did he?
My car is big turbo. I let him honk, I didn't brake boost, and I don't know if he did or not. Or if the car will even let him.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Are those times with a manual or auto? I assume those numbers are auto. Love to see factory numbers on a manual.....

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Are those times with a manual or auto? I assume those numbers are auto. Love to see factory numbers on a manual.....
sorry should have sited my sources... both set of numbers came from Car and Driver.

Didn't even pay attention to auto vs manual.... don't care. at the end of the day if you roll up with one and he leaves you behind, are you going to shrug it off because it was an auto or cry if it was a manual?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Are those times with a manual or auto? I assume those numbers are auto.
Veloster N only had 6-spd at time of the reviews. A dual clutch is in the works, may have arrived. ST has no automatic.

·
Registered
220 Posts
sorry should have sited my sources... both set of numbers came from Car and Driver.

Didn't even pay attention to auto vs manual.... don't care. at the end of the day if you roll up with one and he leaves you behind, are you going to shrug it off because it was an auto or cry if it was a manual?
Neither. I'll look at the specifics of each car to determine whether it was just driver mod and/or the car is better.

We all know autos are waaay faster than any manuals will be. IMO, if a guy beats me solely because he was driving an auto, it's not a loss.

·
Super Moderator
8,073 Posts
Neither. I'll look at the specifics of each car to determine whether it was just driver mod and/or the car is better.

We all know autos are waaay faster than any manuals will be. IMO, if a guy beats me solely because he was driving an auto, it's not a loss.
11 days later I'll play the Devil's advocate and say that if you're driving a manual in 2019 you're willingly accepting your disadvantage against modern auto's and therefore I consider it to still be a loss. I know not everyone feels that way, but times have changed...and us manual lovers and advocates have to accept we are outmatched. I won't hold it against a guy who beat me only because "he's in an auto" because he chose to buy a car with a better performing transmission. That's like me putting on a BT and beating him and him saying "you only beat me because you have a big turbo." Same exact situation...I could have driven like ass and still won due to a clear advantage, just like having an auto.

I'll clarify that I'm not trying to incite an argument. This is, afterall, a car enthusiast forum ;) We can be sensible adults with opinions

·
Registered
565 Posts
I found a Velosteraptor N that had some mods done to it. I am "stage 3" conservatively tuned. The ST pulled away with ease. Race 4 times from around 55mph starting.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
11 days later I'll play the Devil's advocate and say that if you're driving a manual in 2019 you're willingly accepting your disadvantage against modern auto's and therefore I consider it to still be a loss. I know not everyone feels that way, but times have changed...and us manual lovers and advocates have to accept we are outmatched. I won't hold it against a guy who beat me only because "he's in an auto" because he chose to buy a car with a better performing transmission. That's like me putting on a BT and beating him and him saying "you only beat me because you have a big turbo." Same exact situation...I could have driven like ass and still won due to a clear advantage, just like having an auto.

I'll clarify that I'm not trying to incite an argument. This is, afterall, a car enthusiast forum ;) We can be sensible adults with opinions
I initially agreed with Chronos but you make a pretty good case. You are exactly right, the fun is we are all free to build the car of our choosing & it will perform based on those choices.

·
Registered
197 Posts
While It isn't a head to head, ive driven an N with performance pack (the 275hp model with limited slip) and it is a powerful car. I love the exhaust note especially in track mode. It would definitely pull my stock ST especially up top. Never got a chance to test it in turns though.

·
Registered
197 Posts
To add to my previous comment- Got to drive another performance pack N the other day, closely following my commute in my stock ST. The focus definitely has more low and midrange punch due to the tiny turbo, and the N definitely pulls harder up top but somehow feels more tame. Sounds great though, lots of snarl, mild pops and crackles from the exhaust when in sport mode.
The shifter itself is shorter throw than the stock ST. That being said, i kind of prefer the buttery smoothness of the stock ST shifts. That's personal preference of course.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts