Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy picked up a new '17 SI coupe. Small pic we took tonight vs my 16' ST. I will say the car feels very mature but sure doesn't have the same power as the ST. Didn't drive it too hard with him as it is brand new but excited to see what kind of power tuners can get out of this thing. Could be a force to be reckoned with especially since vtec is gone.
de24d8604048c9972c3b450a6a295ef7.jpg

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Yeah there comes a point where downsizing motors "for efficiency" finally kills chances at making power. It's a shame, but it's the modern car world.

In Hondas eyes, looking like they are "green" > pleasing enthusiasts who modify their cars

Like this here excerpt (sourced from Honda Explains Why the 2017 Civic Si Has Only 205 HP - The Drive)

Senior Civic product planner Rob Keough recently spoke to Automotive News regarding the Si's horsepower (or lack thereof), saying, "You can tune more power into it, but all of that takes away from the durability of the engine."

Keough added, "Honda likes to build their engines to last hundreds of thousands of miles, so they're working toward that target."

·
Registered
744 Posts
If you really want to buy a Honda as a performance car, buy one that literally targets that market...the Type-R. I personally don't like Hondas but even I know that their Civics are generally marketed as the ultimate DD...which they are. Civics and Corollas will never die with a bit of love and basic maintenance. Hell, people beat the piss out of them and they still go forever.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Vit Viper is an e-tuner my friend used with his 16 si before he traded up for a WRX this year. Anyway, he still follows him on instagram and they took the Civic sport hatch with the turbo and tuned it up to 280whp and it had room to grow, but the clutch slipped so they left it at like 270. You can make the hatch just as fast and fun as the si for like 5k less and a few data log emails

·
Registered
184 Posts
Vit Viper is an e-tuner my friend used with his 16 si before he traded up for a WRX this year. Anyway, he still follows him on instagram and they took the Civic sport hatch with the turbo and tuned it up to 280whp and it had room to grow, but the clutch slipped so they left it at like 270. You can make the hatch just as fast and fun as the si for like 5k less and a few data log emails
That was torque to the wheels, not WHP.

There's no way that tiny TD03 turbo could generate the flow for 280whp on a 1.5L, but it does make good power regardless!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The new civic si has a 1.5 liter turbo. We tuned one and made 241 to the wheels on a little 1.5

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
530 Posts
That was torque to the wheels, not WHP.

There's no way that tiny TD03 turbo could generate the flow for 280whp on a 1.5L, but it does make good power regardless!
Just went back through his instagram and you're right, but 240whp 280wtq before clutch slip

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Just went back through his instagram and you're right, but 240whp 280wtq before clutch slip
God they must have worse clutches than the current WRX's lol. Those owners (my best friend who lives in Oregon has a 16') hit 300-340 torque and the clutch starts to slip. I'm glad ours can handle 400+ Ford knew what is up when they designed it

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
It literally took me like 10 minutes to figure out what exactly you changed lol, I guess I was referring more to design of the car, not the clutch, but you made an accurate change based on the sentence I used.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Vittuned has updated his tune and his si now makes 260whp and 330wtq I still feel like the car is pretty much maxed out but he says there is still room
All it has is a downpipe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
For those curious, someone leaked the C&D test results for the SI. It is on par with a stock ST.

0-60: 6.3
0-100: 15.9
Rolling 5-60: 7.4
1/4 mile: 14.8 @ 96 mph

However, grip is way up, pushing .97gs.

Screenshot_20170628-184257.png

·
Registered
218 Posts
For those curious, someone leaked the C&D test results for the SI. It is on par with a stock ST.

View attachment 253097

Just like the CTR is on par with a Nissan GTR, 911 GT3 RS, 718 Cayman S...supposedly.

I'll wait to see what it actually does.

Seems like Honda is getting a little optimistic.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Just like the CTR is on par with a Nissan GTR, 911 GT3 RS, 718 Cayman S...supposedly.
I'll wait to see what it actually does.
Seems like Honda is getting a little optimistic.
What? This was from C&D. Discrediting something just because of its badge doesn't make sense to me. I'd prefer to have competition and as a result more purchasing options. Blind brand loyalty is annoying.

Reactions: Dan00Hawk

·
Registered
463 Posts
Might want to review your arithmetic for power production.... Air in, air out. Turbos are rated to flow x amount of air. As long as the system is relatively efficient across engines, 1 liter, 1.5 liter, 2 liter should all make similar power figures, just at different rev levels due to torque-math, and Hondas are far and wide known for their efficiency in airflow.

·
Registered
744 Posts

View attachment 253097
Grip is up because they have ~70 less torque.

But I'm not really surprised by the numbers. They have less power than us but they also weigh 400-500lbs lighter. A "Stage 3" Si will probably make a fun little car similar to how a Stage 3 Fiesta ST does the same but I don't think they'll be able to hang with us mod for mod. I can't see the 1.5L handling a big turbo without significant engine building.

·
Registered
218 Posts
What? This was from C&D. Discrediting something just because of its badge doesn't make sense to me. I'd prefer to have competition and as a result more purchasing options. Blind brand loyalty is annoying.
So acknowledging physics is brand loyalty? The SI still weighs over 2900lbs and has 50 less horsepower and 70 less torque but somehow is just as fast?
I'm glad Honda is joining the 21st century with forced induction but let's not start handing out trophies yet.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts