Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a crappy subject but I thought it might be useful to some. The other night I pulled out of a parking lot and got T boned by some jackass in an SUV. My 2015 ST3 that was in excellent condition was totaled. But I was pretty impressed with how this car held up and thought I'd share. The guy center punched the car right between the 2 doors on the drivers side. I'd guess he was going 20mph when it hit but it's hard to tell. He had to have been going 45-50mph before he locked up all 4 wheels on a gravel surface. It blew the drivers seat airbag and the curtain airbag from the headliner. The car went into Crash Mode which tripped the fuel pump shutoff. And it immediately brought up the emergency call page on the display. It was asking me if I wanted to call 911 before I really got my senses back. Structurally this car held up excellent. The damage was limited to both doors which were crushed to the crash bars inside the door but they didn't bend. Also the floor around the b pillar ( the vertical structure between the doors) was buckled a little in a few places, but the pillar itself looked fine. Both windows were up at the time and didn't break. I had to find out how to reset the fuel pump real fast to avoid being towed. Come to find out you need to turn the ignition on then off twice without starting the engine. I rolled up the airbags and tucked them back into where they came and drove it home about 2 miles. It drove perfectly. Oh and the seatbelt was locked into position and couldn't be adjusted. The next day I got a call first thing from the insurance co. I was guessing 10-15k worth of damage and thought the car would be fixed. The first thing she asked was if the bags deployed, when I said yes she said it was totaled. I wasn't expecting them to total it over the phone without seeing the car. But she said anytime the bags go off the computer that controls them must be replaced. The cost of that box is enough to total the car. So I stripped off all the accy that I installed on it and said goodbye to my 2015 PB ST3?. But since this was such an awesome car I'm looking for a 2017 right now. I just thought people should know what to expect from the car in a crash, it's pretty damn good imo. The chassis seems really strong to me and the amount of safety features in it are impressive once you finally get to see them in use. I didn't have a scratch on me. My 2 dogs were in the back with the seat folded down and they were fine too, just kinda freaked out. This is a great car which is why I'm getting another one. Just watch out for jackasses driving white SUV's!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Nice to know it would hold up. Sorry you had to find out in person. Really glad you and the pups are fine. I had not been in a car accident in a long time until earlier this year I got rear-ended twice in about a 3 week span (not in my ST, didn't have it yet). There is no shortage of crappy drivers, especially in my area. I've seen some wild stuff on my commute.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Make sure you get an appropriate payout. the insurance companies tend to lowball their offers. ask them to provide the data used for their value. then do your own research in local car values. if it's not enough provide your data and hold out.

When my equinox was totaled their initial offer was $7200. when i got done with the data analysis it was clear they truncated all the high value vehicles out. I provided my data and told them i would be reporting them to the state. My final check was $9800.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Duchess

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Make sure you get an appropriate payout. the insurance companies tend to lowball their offers. ask them to provide the data used for their value. then do your own research in local car values. if it's not enough provide your data and hold out.

When my equinox was totaled their initial offer was $7200. when i got done with the data analysis it was clear they truncated all the high value vehicles out. I provided my data and told them i would be reporting them to the state. My final check was $9800.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Ya I'm going thru that now and should get their offer today. This is only the 2nd accident in about 30 yrs of driving but the first time my car was totaled. I'm planning on them low balling me so I've dugout all the receipts that I've got, and I've been checking dealer prices on used 15's. I also read that they should compensate you for TTL on the new car since that's part of the replacement cost. I got a feeling I'm going to have a hard time with these guys and my only recourse is to report them to the state. I don't have a lot of faith in the state doing anything for me though. If anyone has more info on how to get the best price from the Ins co I'd really appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Ya I'm going thru that now and should get their offer today. This is only the 2nd accident in about 30 yrs of driving but the first time my car was totaled. I'm planning on them low balling me so I've dugout all the receipts that I've got, and I've been checking dealer prices on used 15's. I also read that they should compensate you for TTL on the new car since that's part of the replacement cost. I got a feeling I'm going to have a hard time with these guys and my only recourse is to report them to the state. I don't have a lot of faith in the state doing anything for me though. If anyone has more info on how to get the best price from the Ins co I'd really appreciate any feedback.
I can tell you that on property claims (I was a property adjuster for 14 years) we did, in fact, have to factor in sales tax on contents, even if we were just paying actual cash value. I do not know a lot about car insurance policies or the typical language therein. I would read up on it though, if I were you. If it becomes Greek and you need interpretation, let me know! And I know the state departments of insurance are there to protect the consumer. Hopefully you won't have to go that route, but their primary purpose is to make sure insurance companies live up to the policy they sold.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Here's a crappy subject but I thought it might be useful to some. The other night I pulled out of a parking lot and got T boned by some jackass in an SUV. Just watch out for jackasses driving white SUV's!
Glad you and the pooches are okay. The way you described it makes it seem like you pulled out from a parking lot into the path of an oncoming vehicle, which would typically not be the fault of the other driver. Was the other driver determined to be at fault?

·
Super Moderator
9,535 Posts
Glad you and the pooches are okay. The way you described it makes it seem like you pulled out from a parking lot into the path of an oncoming vehicle, which would typically not be the fault of the other driver. Was the other driver determined to be at fault?
Was thinking the same thing myself...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya I guess it does sound like I just pulled out into traffic and got nailed, but no. I was coming out of the lot making a left, the first car to my left was slowing to turn into the lot I was coming out of, I pulled out and got all the way across the double yellow when a speeding SUV could not stop without rear ending the turning car. So he tried to swerve around him crossing into oncoming traffic (me) and locked all 4 wheel plowing straight into me. The cops said they don't assign blame anymore , but noted in their report that he was speeding and crossed the double yellow. He was ticketed for not having a valid license, but atleast he had Insurance.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Ya I guess it does sound like I just pulled out into traffic and got nailed, but no. I was coming out of the lot making a left, the first car to my left was slowing to turn into the lot I was coming out of, I pulled out and got all the way across the double yellow when a speeding SUV could not stop without rear ending the turning car. So he tried to swerve around him crossing into oncoming traffic (me) and locked all 4 wheel plowing straight into me. The cops said they don't assign blame anymore , but noted in their report that he was speeding and crossed the double yellow. He was ticketed for not having a valid license, but atleast he had Insurance.
I thought driving without a license was jail time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought driving without a license was jail time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think so. Maybe this guys was just expired idk. Along time ago I actually had a cop let me drive away with a suspended license after pulling me over for speeding. No ticket at all, he just threw my license and Reg back at me and said "get your sh*t together!" Lol, I don't think that would happen these days.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Once his insurance company finds out he was driving without a valid license, they may likely not cover anything. :( Had that happen to me about 20 years ago. Lady who hit me had a suspended license, and her insurance company said that her insurance wasn't valid because she was driving illegally. I had to pay my deductible for my totalled car. Then my insurance company went after the individual. Be prepared for something crappy like this to happen. Might want to talk that possibility over with your agent so you are prepared.

Reactions: LeojST

·
Registered
252 Posts
Glad to hear you (and the dogs) are ok, cars can be replaced. I've been dealing with insurance companies more frequently than i would like lately, my wife keeps getting hit (none of them her fault). Late last year a motorcycle pulled out of a parking lot and side swiped her as she was going past (4 lane road he swung out too wide). That was almost 5000 in damage to her car, and come to find out he had no drivers license or motorcycle license and no jail time. So we had to cover that under our insurance. A month before that she was rear ended at a stop light thankfully it was minor and the other driver paid in cash to have it fixed. And then just 2 weeks ago rear ended by a motorcycle causing $3,257 in damage to the back of her car. It took that insurance company until yesterday to even start the claim because they couldn't get in touch with the driver to admit fault. Her poor car is only 2 years old, its going to be worthless by the time we are ready to trade it in!

·
Registered
704 Posts
The insurance company will try to screw you as that's what they exist for—I'm convinced it's even more so than simply making money. I don't know who gets these supposed big payouts for feigned injuries, but I had to fight six months to get an acceptable payout on my car when I was rear ended two days in a row in incidents that were clearly not my fault (never mind the pain—my back still hurts after standing for a short while over a year later). If I was poor, I would have been doubly screwed as the initial payouts wouldn't have gotten me more than a 12-year-old Altima with an OD'd hooker still in the trunk, but I'm fortunate enough to be able to have bought a new car while lawyers fought it out (unfortunately, mine were like the Greeks against the Nazis—did better than expected, but didn't really win). Document every ache and pain and go to the doctor if you feel anything off. Sometimes it takes a day or two feel it. My last girlfriend was t-boned by a red-light runner on her way to a wedding, is still in all kinds of pain, and is still fighting to get something. It's been five years. Insurance companies are scum of the earth and if I heard on the news that some sorry bastard wiped out an insurance company CEO and his family as the only way he could feel he could get some satisfaction after getting the shaft from them, I'd nod in understanding. Hell, if I came onto a jury for the guy, I'd be the stubborn bastard that would get him a mistrial (nobody would ever pick me for a jury, anyway).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts