Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I spoke to a friend who has a 550hp ST (ST Mk2 not 3) and he said he had to go up weights of oil a fair bit due to the additional heat caused by the extra power.

I have a GTX2867r on it's way from Stratified and will probably only be around 350whp. While this is no where near the 550hp, it will still be about ~130hp more than stock (250 crank vs ~380 crank).

What are some of your experiences on the matter, stock oil rating is 5W30 and I was thinking of going up to 5W35 or 5W40.

Any advice or experience is appreciated.

·
Registered
462 Posts
How do you plab to drive it?

As a blanket statement, yes 5w40 will protect you better at temp and when using it hard. But an oil cooler would likely allow you to continue running 5w30. It's really going to depend on oil temp and how you intend to drive it.

5w50 might be a good choice if your going to be racng.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good point,

How I drive it depends on several factors obviously, at the moment it isn't a daily but may have to be in a couple of months. Your perspective is good however, as I think when I start to daily the car in a couple of months I will make sure I just run 5W30 as it shouldn't see much of an increase in operating temp, however for track work and in summer when spirited mountain runs are plentiful I will run the higher weight.

Thanks for the words of wisdom.

·
Registered
331 Posts
5W35? Thats a new one to me lol.

Seriously, Castrol German 5w40 would be what I would be using if it was my car.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep 5w35. I still have 2 x 5L bottles of the castrol edge 5w35 left. It's a bit of a random rating and not very common. It was on special one weekend for 1/3rd of the price of the exact same castrol edge 5w30.

·
Registered
331 Posts
ID still go up to the 5W40. It will be enough oil flow down low to get oil into the turbo and up into the cams but should have the fluid strength at high RPM and high temps along with high pressure to provide proper protection to the engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts