Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

New here and hoping you can help me.

I bought a 2103 Focus ST250 a year ago and whilst still under warranty (6 weeks after i got it), it occasionally cut out when the engine was warm and i was coming to a stop or dipped the clutch for a few seconds. Typically this was after around 5-6 miles of normal driving in traffic. If I left it in a car park for a couple of hours and drive off, it ran fine again.

Drove normally apart from coming to a stop

Ford replaced the battery and all was well for 4 months. Then it started again and went on for 3 days every journey - Ford did diagnostics and found no errors. Three months later, it did it again and Ford took it in for 5 days to 'test it thoroughly' - looking at the miles and fuel, they probably did around 2 or 3 miles!! NOT what i'd call thorough. When i collected it they told me they would not look at it any more under warranty.

So, my local garage owner (worth 100 Ford technicians) looked at it the next 3 times it occured (every month or two). No error codes until 2 weeks back where it showed an oxygen sensor code. Changed it. OK for 2 weeks, then it is back again.
Just did thorough error code check and looked at all parameters and all is looking fine - NOTE the garage is 2 miles away and it normally takes 5-6 miles to kick in, and it has behaved today even when we left it running for ages on the computer

Anybody have any ideas?

Anybody had a similar issue?

There is a TSB for a wiring modification, but Ford says you see an error code if this bneeds changing and we have never seen the code :(

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hello, and welcome.

Actually that TSB turned into a Recall. Ford should fix this for free. Have them look up the Vin # and see if it's been preformed.
If it has been done, it need to be done again.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There is a very long thread devoted to this particular issue. Glad you have a trustworthy guy looking at it. That will go a long way in getting you fixed up. Good luck my friend.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I also have a 2013 , I bought it with almost 10,000 miles on it 2 mos ago. On the 2nd day of owning it, it started stalling like you described. It then started acting worse, it went into limp mode a couple times I put an obd scanner on it and it had some pending codes and one permanent code. It threw the code you need for the recall, however my car had the recall in 2014. I was inspecting the wire harness that is involved in the recall and the idle reacted to me moving it around. I kept moving and squeezing the harness and it suddenly stabilized and it's been fine for 10 days now. No codes no anything. Furthermore my car became ready for emissions test after driving for about 30miles. I drove for 1000 miles and it still was not ready for emissions prior to me playing with the harness. I feel better knowing that it was most likely the harness to my problem and it should be an easy fix when the problem arises again and I'm sure it will.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Welcome to the ST world. I hope your issue isn't as bad as mine. There are several threads here - I'm posting updates here: http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...-car-randomly-stalling-idling-wierd-read.html

I own a '13 ST2 with 76k miles on it. All recalls have been addressed and the stalling issue still persists. My emissions system has basically been replaced over the last 2.5 years. My dealer is still working on it after replacing: collapsed fuel tank (vendor defect), MAP sensor, throttle body, ECM (reprogrammed), Vapor management valve and the most recent discovery - high pressure fuel pump. Again, this is AFTER all recalls were addressed. Issue started roughly around 45k miles.

I've been to Ford corporate - completely useless so don't waste your time. I just stayed persistent and finally found a guy who is taking ownership of this issue at one of my local dealers.

Anyhow, my advice - find a service manager that cares. If they can't repro the issue while they have it, ask about getting a flight recorder (VCM module) installed and cut you loose for a few days to record it. Very easy for you to do but not many dealers will do this as the device costs over 2 grand (I had to sign a disclaimer since it was in my possession for a week - if anything happened to it, I bought it).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi all

New here and hoping you can help me.

I bought a 2103 Focus ST250 a year ago and whilst still under warranty (6 weeks after i got it), it occasionally cut out when the engine was warm and i was coming to a stop or dipped the clutch for a few seconds. Typically this was after around 5-6 miles of normal driving in traffic. If I left it in a car park for a couple of hours and drive off, it ran fine again.

Drove normally apart from coming to a stop

Ford replaced the battery and all was well for 4 months. Then it started again and went on for 3 days every journey - Ford did diagnostics and found no errors. Three months later, it did it again and Ford took it in for 5 days to 'test it thoroughly' - looking at the miles and fuel, they probably did around 2 or 3 miles!! NOT what i'd call thorough. When i collected it they told me they would not look at it any more under warranty.

So, my local garage owner (worth 100 Ford technicians) looked at it the next 3 times it occured (every month or two). No error codes until 2 weeks back where it showed an oxygen sensor code. Changed it. OK for 2 weeks, then it is back again.
Just did thorough error code check and looked at all parameters and all is looking fine - NOTE the garage is 2 miles away and it normally takes 5-6 miles to kick in, and it has behaved today even when we left it running for ages on the computer

Anybody have any ideas?

Anybody had a similar issue?

There is a TSB for a wiring modification, but Ford says you see an error code if this bneeds changing and we have never seen the code
I had the same issue. 2013 focus I'm not the original owner. According to Ford the wire harness was repaired under the recall. My local mechanic redid the splice for me and gave me the old ones. I posted pics of what Ford claims they repaired already. It was not repaired to the tsb specifications. My guy did it the right way and no problems anymore. If I felt comfortable soldering I would have done it myself. BTW I knew it was the harness because when I squeezed it where the splices were the idle jumped around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts