Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Focus ST1
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a problem on the highway. I was going about 80, went to accelerate a bit to pass someone (maybe about 10% throttle) and I felt my car jerk forward a bit and it wouldn’t accelerate anymore. It wouldn’t go past about 3k RPMs. It will go into gear just fine, it just CRAWLS and will not build speed. I didn’t hear and clangs or bangs or pops, I can even rev the engine in neutral and it sounds and acts normal. There are no leaks that I could see in the ground, I’m just kind of dumbfounded as to what the problem could be. Car only has 29k miles on it.

If anyone has any ideas I’d be happy to hear them 😅 my car is sitting at a dealership waiting for service, I’m just trying to get an idea of what it could be so I can hope it’s covered under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
1,476 Posts
Are you tuned? Were you building boost anymore, or was the guage flat? It sounds potentially like your charge pipes blew off, but unsure.

No codes or CEL? Other possibility is it went into limp mode.

·
Registered
2018 Focus ST1
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did not throw up any codes, I made sure to check multiple times. It was tuned but I removed the tune and it was still doing it. What is limp mode?

·
Registered
2018 Focus ST1
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you tuned? Were you building boost anymore, or was the guage flat? It sounds potentially like your charge pipes blew off, but unsure.

No codes or CEL? Other possibility is it went into limp mode.
it’s not making any extra noise whenever I would put it in gear or give it gas in neutral. And honestly I couldn’t build enough speed to see if the boost was coming on 😅 I’m kind of at a loss for what it could be lol. I don’t think it went into limp mode because the temps all looked normal and it sat for about 3 hours and still was doing it.

·
Super Moderator
9,788 Posts
it’s not making any extra noise whenever I would put it in gear or give it gas in neutral. And honestly I couldn’t build enough speed to see if the boost was coming on 😅 I’m kind of at a loss for what it could be lol. I don’t think it went into limp mode because the temps all looked normal and it sat for about 3 hours and still was doing it.
Remove the bottom engine cover and check for a disconnected charge pipe connection.

·
Registered
2018 Focus ST1
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So there was a resolution! Turns out a clamp on one of the hoses coming off the turbo blew off, so my dealership swapped the clamp and now its running fine! Thanks everyone for all your suggestions, everyone is always so helpful here!

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
So I had a problem on the highway. I was going about 80, went to accelerate a bit to pass someone (maybe about 10% throttle) and I felt my car jerk forward a bit and it wouldn’t accelerate anymore. It wouldn’t go past about 3k RPMs.
I know you already found your issue but dont be using your top gears for passing situations on the hw. I know you said only 10% throttle but always safer to down shift

·
Super Moderator
9,788 Posts
So there was a resolution! Turns out a clamp on one of the hoses coming off the turbo blew off, so my dealership swapped the clamp and now its running fine! Thanks everyone for all your suggestions, everyone is always so helpful here!
Get a set of T-Bolt clamps and never have one fail again.

Check here for sizes:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also had this happen, at about 50k miles and out of warranty. Luckily I found the problem without the dealership charging me a huge diagnostic fee and marking up the hose clamp about 1000%. Couple bucks for a new hose clamp and I was back in business!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know you already found your issue but dont be using your top gears for passing situations on the hw. I know you said only 10% throttle but always safer to down shift
At 80mph you're spinning ~3,000 rpm in 6th gear, no issue "accelerating a bit" to pass a car without down shifting.

·
Registered
277 Posts
At 80mph you're spinning ~3,000 rpm in 6th gear, no issue "accelerating a bit" to pass a car without down shifting.
The issue is if you were cruising for a while...the efficiency of cruise control gets the motor hot. Also, 6th gear at any RPM is a high load for the motor.

It's better to downshift, get more airflow to cool things down and reduce the load on the motor. 5th gear is a better choice for 80mph, leave 6th gear for cruising only.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts