Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here are my mods (i have a cobb access port with a stratified stage 1 tune muffler delete and intake) hey so yesterday i was making a U turn and i gave the car W.O.T in first and it broke up really bad i got on the tuner and scanned for codes and saw that cylinder 1 was misfiring so i stopped at a friends house and checked it out i tested the coil pack and it wasnt bad but then i smelled something funny and noticed white smoke out of my exhaust so i removed the cylinder 1 spark plug and realized that the plug was covered in oil (thats not good) i also looked into the combustion chamber and saw that the piston and cylinder walls were coated in oil so my first thought was mabey the rings went on cylinder 1 but the car didnt feel down on power at all and the engine sounds completly normal so i put the car back together turned it on and disconnected the cylinder 1 coil and it stopped smokink i connected it and it kwpt smoking has anyone had this problem what do you guys think the car is a 2013 ford focus st with 88k miles

·
Super Moderator
7,421 Posts
here are my mods (i have a cobb access port with a stratified stage 1 tune muffler delete and intake) hey so yesterday i was making a U turn and i gave the car W.O.T in first and it broke up really bad i got on the tuner and scanned for codes and saw that cylinder 1 was misfiring so i stopped at a friends house and checked it out i tested the coil pack and it wasnt bad but then i smelled something funny and noticed white smoke out of my exhaust so i removed the cylinder 1 spark plug and realized that the plug was covered in oil (thats not good) i also looked into the combustion chamber and saw that the piston and cylinder walls were coated in oil so my first thought was mabey the rings went on cylinder 1 but the car didnt feel down on power at all and the engine sounds completly normal so i put the car back together turned it on and disconnected the cylinder 1 coil and it stopped smokink i connected it and it kwpt smoking has anyone had this problem what do you guys think the car is a 2013 ford focus st with 88k miles
Do a comp test.

Yeah most likely ringlands are gone. Continuing to drive the car may cause damage to the block beyond repair.

Do a comp test to confirm.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Compression/leak down test sounds in order here.

Try to get it done sooner rather than later. Like Duece said, you risk serious damage if you have any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i immediately parked the car if the ringlands are cracked or gone continuing to drive the car could cause head/ block damage beyond repair and a brand new short block aint cheap

·
Registered
107 Posts
Pick up a used 2.0L ecoboost engine and swap it in. Fusion and Escape's with the 2.0L have the same engine. You'll want to swap over some accessories and get a new oem oil cooler.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Regarding the Escape 2.0... My 2017 has the twin scroll turbo in it, but I thought the FoST 2.0 didn't have the twin scroll. Am I mistaken?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don’t believe the 2.0 in the ST has a twin scroll but if I swapped in a escape or fusion 2.0 would it matter if it has a twin scroll will my ecu and harness plug right in or would I have to change it out and is it going to be more expensive to fix my 2.0 that is “Blown up”

·
Registered
74 Posts
Can you post a little more about your setup? Tune, fuel, mods, oil, all that good stuff? Thanks, and sorry to hear about the engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i have a cobb access port with a stratifies stage 1 tune an intake muffler delete and thats pretty much it the rest of the car is stock... yesterday we looked in the cylinder with the camera no damage was able to be seen just a piston covered in oil now the cars engine doesnt make ant bad noises it sounds completly normal but it smokes WHITE smoke and it should be blue if its burning oil it also should smell like oil the smoke doesnt smell like oil or antifreeze

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what is most probably going to end up happening if this block is savable (it looks fine cant tell 100% until the head is off) the block is going to the macine shop along with the head the block is getting looked over so is the head its also getting ported and polished then me and my dad are going to put manley rods pistons rings and a 4 layer head gasket in the block along with ARP head studs and rod bolts and a litter higer compression piston (is this reccomended had anyone done this)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Regarding the higher compression ratio pistons... if it were me, I'd stay with the stock compression ratio (or even go a little lower if you're going big turbo/higher boost) and wouldn't bump it up. If you bump up boost you're not going to be doing yourself any favors regarding LSPI/knock with higher compression pistons/decking the head. You'll get more power upping the boost and staying with stock compression than you would by increasing the static compression through higher compression pistons. On a N/A car, sure, that can help, but there's a reason that top fuel cars run only a 6.5 compression ratio at 60 psi of boost...

·
Registered
928 Posts
Well I thought one of the pluses of high comp motors n/a or forced induction is that with the high compression you can run lower octane fuel and make similar power and not be as prone to knock.

·
Registered
928 Posts
But I will state reliability wise I would keep factory compression or if they have a piston to drop it alil even better, low compression motors are excellent for forced induction, being that the forced induction increases your comp 100:1. When your turbo spools up on your car your compression is through the roof. Its alot harder on high compression engines to handle higher boost which is exactly why when you see people put turbos on hondas and non factory turbo cars they run 7 or 8 psi or less usually around 4 or 5 lbs. That's particularly why I say its alil better to run a supercharger on a high comp motor, as it's a constant load and torque curves are very flat and linear and usually dont produce crazy spikes where as turbos I believe damage high comp engines much easier being that you can be out of boost with no load and spool the turbo and all at once put alot of extra pressure into an engine, dont get me wrong superchargers also build boost, but the load from the charger is always on the motor being that they are pulley driven. Either way that's more of opinions and what not. Specifically you dont want to run a higher comp motor in your car.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Sorry to my first post, I was thinking backwards, my apologies. You wanna run high octane more then ever in high comp becoz they are more prone to knock.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts