Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

This is my first time posting to the boards. I am a proud owner of a 2016 ST1 and have run into a general issue with the car and looking for some feedback from not only ST owners, but any experience car owner.

For the most part, this car has been awesome (not to mention, this is my first car purchase----- used to live in NYC for 10 years, but then moved to an area where a car was a must). When I bought the car, the salesman reinforced that I should just watch for the oil light and then bring it in for my first (free) oil change. Long story short, the light never came on and I think I pushed it to about 8k before I said F it. Took my car to a local Ford service area (not the same one where I bought the car) and they said I definitely missed the oil light... However, I ensured them that the light never came on, and from what they could tell (i.e. how the oil looked during the change), the car definitely needed an oil change a couple thousand miles back. Luckily, they said no damage was done and to just watch for the light next time. Sure enough, I brought the car in for another oil change around 18,000 miles because the light never came on. This time, I went to the service center associated with the dealership I bought the car from. I told them that the light never came on, but they said their computers/tests showed the car not having any problems with the oil light. Again, I held out another 8k miles and no light. The dealership's services center said I must be turning off the notification (which I definitely am not), but that they want me to stretch out again and wait atleast 7500 miles and if the light doesn't come on, then bring it back in for another round of tests. I am approaching 34k and the light hasn't come on since my last oil change (which was at about 27/28k). So I am expecting to speak with the dealershp/service center soon about scheduling this "4th" review of the oil light.... as to what might occur after that, I have no idea... hence this long and boring post!

With all that being said: do I have any argument for them to buy my car back from me or get me in a new vehicle? I am really just tired with all this back and forth. Lastly, even though this is just the oil light not working (no biggie in general), it makes me wonder what else could me wrong with the car or the computer. In a nutshell, it was advertised that the oil light indicator is a feature with the car.. and since it isn't with mine, do I have a say at all? My Father used to always drop his legal babble with car dealerships back in the day (he was a Lawyer/Judge) when he would face similar issues, and it typically worked out in his favor. Me on the other hand, I'm a first time car owner and kind of a push over....pretty idealistic/naive at times that people are always good or on the same wave length as me.

Any advice? Am I just acting like a sissy ST owner trying to find a way out or swindle to an upgraded ST? Or do I have a legitimate argument? After I got the ST1, I was kind of kicking myself for not shelling out the extra dough for ST2 or ST3, but I figured I'd eventually do a trade in (or sell ST1) and upgrade to ST2 or ST3... so this has nothing to do with my feelings for the ST as I love it!

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Hello all,

This is my first time posting to the boards. I am a proud owner of a 2016 ST1 and have run into a general issue with the car and looking for some feedback from not only ST owners, but any experience car owner.

For the most part, this car has been awesome (not to mention, this is my first car purchase----- used to live in NYC for 10 years, but then moved to an area where a car was a must). When I bought the car, the salesman reinforced that I should just watch for the oil light and then bring it in for my first (free) oil change. Long story short, the light never came on and I think I pushed it to about 8k before I said F it. Took my car to a local Ford service area (not the same one where I bought the car) and they said I definitely missed the oil light... However, I ensured them that the light never came on, and from what they could tell (i.e. how the oil looked during the change), the car definitely needed an oil change a couple thousand miles back. Luckily, they said no damage was done and to just watch for the light next time. Sure enough, I brought the car in for another oil change around 18,000 miles because the light never came on. This time, I went to the service center associated with the dealership I bought the car from. I told them that the light never came on, but they said their computers/tests showed the car not having any problems with the oil light. Again, I held out another 8k miles and no light. The dealership's services center said I must be turning off the notification (which I definitely am not), but that they want me to stretch out again and wait atleast 7500 miles and if the light doesn't come on, then bring it back in for another round of tests. I am approaching 34k and the light hasn't come on since my last oil change (which was at about 27/28k). So I am expecting to speak with the dealershp/service center soon about scheduling this "4th" review of the oil light.... as to what might occur after that, I have no idea... hence this long and boring post!

With all that being said: do I have any argument for them to buy my car back from me or get me in a new vehicle? I am really just tired with all this back and forth. Lastly, even though this is just the oil light not working (no biggie in general), it makes me wonder what else could me wrong with the car or the computer. In a nutshell, it was advertised that the oil light indicator is a feature with the car.. and since it isn't with mine, do I have a say at all? My Father used to always drop his legal babble with car dealerships back in the day (he was a Lawyer/Judge) when he would face similar issues, and it typically worked out in his favor. Me on the other hand, I'm a first time car owner and kind of a push over....pretty idealistic/naive at times that people are always good or on the same wave length as me.

Any advice? Am I just acting like a sissy ST owner trying to find a way out or swindle to an upgraded ST? Or do I have a legitimate argument? After I got the ST1, I was kind of kicking myself for not shelling out the extra dough for ST2 or ST3, but I figured I'd eventually do a trade in (or sell ST1) and upgrade to ST2 or ST3... so this has nothing to do with my feelings for the ST as I love it!

Thanks!
This is not a issue. Mine never came on and the ones that have seem to be around 10k

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think it's garbage advice to wait for the oil light to come on. Your oil should be changed at regular intervals regardless of what the car's computer says. When to change the oil really depends on what kind of oil you're using and how often you drive. Generally, it breaks down like this:

Conventional oil: Change it every 3 to 4,000 miles or every 6 months (whichever comes first). You could potentially go to 5,000 if you want, but I would never go further than that.
Synthetic oil: Change it every 7 to 10,000 miles or every 6 months (again, whichever comes first)

Personally, I do synthetic oil and change it every 7,500 miles.

Unfortunately, I don't think you have much chance of them buying the car back from you. The dealership took my first ST back and gave me a new one but that was only because it was pretty obvious that it had a bad manufacturing defect that caused the engine to overheat and there was no possible way for them to show that it was something I did to the car. Unless you have a pretty clear cut case like that, I wouldn't bet on it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I wish my oil light was broken. That thing is annoying and I wouldn’t wait for it to come on to do an oil change. With something as simple as an oil change, why not do it. I wouldn’t rely on it personally. I always changed my oil at 4K with synthetic in the ST. The RS is getting the same treatment. I’m only at 5K miles with the RS and I’ve changed the oil twice already. Once at 900 and I just changed it when I rolled over 5K. Haven’t reset the light yet though just to see when the light actually turns on. Good luck trying to get Ford to buy back though!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Don’t wait for the oil light.

Also, I drive ford escapes at work and when the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message comes on, it stays on so the dealerships claim that you missed it is bogus.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
OMG, relax. The change oil light comes on every 10k miles under normal driving conditions and that's plenty soon enough. If you're worried change to full synthetic next time. But you have a bigger problem; your stealership is full of idiots if they don't know that the change oil light comes on every 10k miles. Seriously, what a bunch of dolts.
How often is something we here in FocusST argue plenty about. This is from consumer reports: https://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/things-to-know-about-oil-changes-for-your-car/
How often to change oil?
Some swear by the “every 3,000 miles or every 3 months” rule, but advances in engines and oil have made that guidance obsolete. Many automakers have oil-change intervals at 7,500 or even 10,000 miles and 6 or 12 months for time.
“Your owner’s manual has more detailed information about your car than any mechanic does,” Ibbotson says. “Don’t get talked into too-often oil changes. Follow the manual and your car’s engine should stay well-lubricated and perform well.”
Over the course of two years and 30,000 miles, assuming that your oil change costs $40 a pop, you could save $240 if you get it changed every 7,500 miles vs. every 3,000 miles.
It’s not just about miles: If you don’t drive your car a lot, your oil still needs to be kept fresh. Even if you drive fewer miles each year than your automaker suggests changing the oil (say, 6,000 miles, with suggested oil-change intervals at 7,500 miles), you should still be getting that oil changed twice a year.
Why? Oil becomes less effective as it ages, and by not getting the engine warm enough, excess moisture that forms in the engine will not be removed, which can lead to shorter engine life.

The manual says to wait for the light. The light comes on every 10k miles. If you stick to that you shouldn't have any issues.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Calm down, everything is fine. Read your owners manual. The car calculates an oil change interval based on how you drive it - short trips vs. long trips, city vs. highway, etc. It permits up to 1 year or 10k miles between changes. You just haven't driven the car long enough between changes to trigger it. So despite what the dealership idiots have told you, you're actually over maintaining the car.

The oil turning dark doesn't mean anything. That's normal, it picks up soot produced by burning gasoline. It doesn't imply the oil does or does not need changing. So ignore those comments.

I have a 2014 ST3 with 33k and the oil change light has never come on. I occasionally run a vehicle health check (I don't think your car has this option) and the resulting email from Ford includes the remaining oil life percentage. When it gets down to 20% or so remaining, I change it. Other than buying a Cobb AP or Fords diagnostic software, I don't think there is any way for you to get the remaining oil life percentage off your car.

·
Registered
407 Posts
If you couldn't tell already lol calm down. It sounds like you have no issues at all.

1) You have ZERO chance of them buying your car back with such a minor issue (that's not really an issue at all)
2) Both of those dealerships have no idea what they're talking about, I wouldn't go there anymore if it were me
3) You cannot turn the light off, it will continue to come on until it is reset, I'm almost positive about this<--- tell the dealerships this
4) The light will come on all depending on how you drive, my guess is engine load is the biggest factor, but it is not uncommon to come on close to 10k from what I've read
4a) Do some reading on this please, read about oil change intervals and how long you can go with conventional v synthetic. Some synthetics claim you can go 20k (but definitely don't do this)
5) Dark doesn't doesn't necessarily mean it's bad, just means it was doing it's job. Next time you get a change, look at it after ~3k miles, it will be relatively dark. But it should NOT smell burnt
6) Look in your owners manual, it believe it gives you intervals to change oil based on how you drive and what type of oil. It think it even says up to 10k or so but I can't remember exactly

Lastly, you wanting an ST2 or ST3 seems to be your driving motivation here lol so see what they'll take on trade in.

Also, my recommendation, don't have the dealerships change your oil. They don't use full synthetic unless you pay an arm and a leg for it. It's much easier to change it yourself, it requires minimal time and tools and you know it will be done right with full synthetic oil and you can take used oil and filters to most autoparts stores for free if that is a concern for you. I live in the city and I've changed my oil on the side of the street, no big deal.

Reactions: SIstomper

·
Registered
53 Posts
Personally I would go the old sticker route and just stick the mileage you need your next oil change in the upper left corner of your windshield, or like I do on the driver's visor mirror. I would suggest every 5,000 miles especially if you aren't running full synthetic.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Read the owners manual. You can set the oil light to come on at 5000, 7500, or 10,000. It may be set to 10,000.
This is not correct, you can't adjust when the light will come on. The light will come on according to the algorithm built into the system. With the recommended semi-synthetic oil you can easily go 10k miles. Guideline is to change it at 10k if the light hasn't come on, or at the one year mark.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Read the owners manual. You can set the oil light to come on at 5000, 7500, or 10,000. It may be set to 10,000.
Like Evitzee said, it's not adjustable. I have almost 80k miles on my 2013 ST3 and it has always lit up at 10k, and there is no adjustment for when it comes on.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Turn on your car and go to vehicle settings. Select vehicle health report. On that page you can choose when the light comes on. 5000, 7500, or 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Mine usually comes on around 10k, but have had it come on in a little less miles. Car guys love to get worked up about this kind of crap, but from someone who drives 50k+/yr. and whose only engine issue with any of the last 8 cars was a melted exhaust valve at 250k heavily abused miles: if this is a daily driver, change full synthetic every 10k (or sooner if the light comes on), maybe check the level once in a while, and don't worry about it (unless, of course, you find you're eating oil).

·
Registered
407 Posts
Turn on your car and go to vehicle settings. Select vehicle health report. On that page you can choose when the light comes on. 5000, 7500, or 10,000 miles.
What year do you have??

I have a '17 and after reading this I said wow I didn't know this, because the dealership told me it was a calculation. But after looking through every menu I possibly could I could not find it and found nothing about a "vehicle health report".
Sounds like something they may have changed in the later years.

·
Registered
331 Posts
What year do you have??

I have a '17 and after reading this I said wow I didn't know this, because the dealership told me it was a calculation. But after looking through every menu I possibly could I could not find it and found nothing about a "vehicle health report".
Sounds like something they may have changed in the later years.
Correct I believe the 15+ ST's do not have this feature. Im sitting at 13k on my 17 and have never seen an oil light nor is there a menu setting anywhere for one. Might be different on the st2/st3 but i dont thnk so.

To the OP... Just change your oil every 5k with conventional and 7.5k if synthetic. Easy as that

·
Registered
95 Posts
For what it's worth, I've been changing mine every 5,000 miles whether it needs it or not. The oil light hasn't ever come on, but the dealer hasn't ever refused to do an oil change.

Clean oil is critically important for turbo motors. Don't wait for the light, just have it done as regular scheduled maintenance.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Winner. This is one of the many reasons you have zero chance of them buying the car back from you.
More importantly - why would you want them to? That is reserved for when there is a significant failure that means multiple long stays at the dealer to get fixed and still unable to be fixed. Your car has suffered no damage.

One of the parameters an Accessport can monitor is oil life % (not just on/off). I do synthetic every 5K and I've never seen it below 60% at the time I've changed it and reset light. I know the computer can adjust to driving style/load and I do drive like grandma 99% so that may have something to do with it.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
OK, this has been debated to death elsewhere but that won't stop me from voicing my opinion. One: The manufacturer's recommendations are based on their tests of running millions of miles on test vehicles. Two: Changing oil more often does little to lengthen your car's longevity. Three: In fact, and possibly more importantly, changing your oil twice as often when multiplied across all the car owners in the world contributes heavily to excess oil consumption, affecting supply and pricing.
Ford's recommendation of 10k miles is based on normal oil. If you use synthetic there really is no reason to change more often.

Now let the name-calling begin.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts