Ford Focus ST Forum banner

SS Hose Kit Question

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Wes_t 
#1 ·
I was asked about the ss hoses being tight on occasion when fit to the steel hardline. Why and what to do about it.

The Focus uses M10-1.0 ISO or Bubble Flare ends.

See the image on the RIGHT.

Fastener Auto part Screw Pipe Metal

Over the years I've seen these ends be tight to new braided hose fittings due to the factory fitting being tightened down to the point that flare nut threads behind the tube flare are actually larger than the lead thread going into the new hose. It's been a more common issue on some GM product as I suspect they use a softer steel on the tube nut thus allowing it to deform a bit.

If you struggle getting the hardline to bite into the new end take a mild file to the end of the flare and the lead thread behind the mushroom shape of the flare. Dress it lightly and around the perimeter spinning it between your fingers against the file, being careful not to allow the filings to find their way into the hose. From personal experience it does not take a lot of material and could probably be done with some emery cloth however being wet that's not going to work well.

See less See more
Reactions: jinstall
#2 ·
I know it doesn't make things easier for anyone who may be struggling here but I sold three kits (and seven more to come) to Miller Mtspt last week and they noted no issues at all.

#3 ·
I replaced my fronts with TCE hoses and had no issues getting the thread to bite. It seemed like they didn't thread as far up as the OEM, but I checked multiple times for leaks and all is ok. OEM might have a longer stock on the rubber hose side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.