Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a '14 FoST, and the brakes (specifically front driver side, I believe) are making squealing noises when in 1st gear, and sometimes in 2nd... when NOT hitting the brake. It's incremental, it goes and comes back right away. I have OEM rotors and pads since I got the car brand new. I'm at 31k now.

(Please watch in HD) In the video, I'm rolling in 1st gear at around 10mph, no clutch, no brake pedal. It gets quicker as I go up in speed and then goes away at around ~20mph? The noise is harder to hear in 2nd. Took it to my local Ford dealer and said it's "normal", when it's not, because it just started happening recently. I did hit a pothole going ~5-10mph in a parking lot, and I think that may have been the cause of it.

Also, as a side note, the brakes also squeal when depressing the brake pedal, but the dealer said that was normal too since they're semi-ceramic??? It's weird because the brakes rarely make any noise when cold, but do when warmed up.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
381 Posts
There may be a pebble or something stuck between the rotor and the dust shield, but as Cowlynz said I couldn't hear much from the video. You could try throwing it in reverse and drive for some distance (An empty parking lot) to see if it helps. Otherwise you would have to take the wheel off and inspect manually.

·
Registered
524 Posts
This has happened in both of the ST's that I've owned. I think it's due to inconsistency in the brake pad materials. For me it has gone away within a drive or two.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Too much wind noise, can't hear it.
There may be a pebble or something stuck between the rotor and the dust shield, but as Cowlynz said I couldn't hear much from the video. You could try throwing it in reverse and drive for some distance (An empty parking lot) to see if it helps. Otherwise you would have to take the wheel off and inspect manually.
This has happened in both of the ST's that I've owned. I think it's due to inconsistency in the brake pad materials. For me it has gone away within a drive or two.
Hey guys, thanks for the response. Little update;

This has been happening for about two weeks now. Just got back from a drive, and apparently the noise happens (much quicker, obviously), at almost all speeds. Up to 55mph. So obviously it's speed related. Sorry about the wind noise, I can try and get another video if needed.

Also, @Baxter, keep in mind I am NOT hitting the brake while this noise is happening. I know when I do hit the brakes though, the noise happens because of your reason. But I'm more concerned about the noise when no brakes are active.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Wheel bearing perhaps?
They don't squeal. They will make a grinding sound when going bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
964 Posts
sounds like the pads/rotors.

check they brake hardware on the Caliper bracket. could possibly be touching the rotors

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts