Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2020-ford-focus-st-makes-spy-photo-debut-has-twin-exhaust-125032_1.jpg

by Mihnea Radu, 17 Apr 2018

Remember when we thought we saw the new Focus ST testing? Well, it turns out Ford made the ST-Line first and is only now starting work on the hot hatch. No problem, we can wait... another year.

2020-ford-focus-st-makes-spy-photo-debut-has-twin-exhaust_18.jpg

The sight of a fully camouflaged Focus on the Nurburgring has some people calling this the "next RS." We don't know how you can jump to that conclusion when there are obviously no prop shafts in the back wheels.

Sure, the stance looks wild while the car is cornering, and the dual exhaust system reminds us of the RS model. But why would they start with the most hardcore version? That's like Porsche making the base 911 followed by the GT3 RS.

But let's not get sidetracked. The new exhaust configuration is pretty standard. You've got a big muffler in the middle of the bumper with the tips coming out on either side, the same as on a Golf GTI. The old Focus ST had pipes in the middle, like a supercar, but I think they can make it sound better this way.

Obviously, the ST treatment will include lowered suspension, bigger wheels, bigger brakes and a stiffer chassis. But the setup is geared way more towards road use than the rock-hard, uncompromising Focus RS.

So what's under the hood? Well, there's no reason to believe Ford will use anything other than a 2-liter turbo. The numbers we heard are 284 PS and 380 Nm of torque, compared to the current 250 PS and 360 Nm.

There's also going to be a diesel version with about 190 PS and 400 Nm. Besides the hatchback, Europeans should also receive a wagon body, more practical, but also a little bit heavier and slower.

Automatics? Well, few people know this, but the diesel Focus ST has been available with Powershift for a few years. There's no reason to stop offering it, especially when the new 8-speed auto fitted to the regular 2019 Focus is supposed to be smoother.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/spyshots-2020-ford-focus-st-makes-photo-debut-has-twin-exhaust-125032.html#

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Good pic of the rear me likey!

·
Registered
464 Posts
That little mouth grill is killing my opinion of this model. Like the SE vs ST grill on the 15-18 cars. That and they made the bumper cover so much longer... it almost looks like the car is duck-facing.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I like it so far. My favorite part is how they FINALLY came to the 21'st century and ditched the stupid RC car antenna and went with a shark fin and looks like the pimple hood mounted windshield sprayers are in a hidden location too. My 2004 value package civic sedan had a window antenna for sh!t's sake.

Edit: Looks like a con is they went the way of the new civic si's and 19" wheels and rubber bands for tires. You'll feel every pebble

·
Registered
679 Posts
Wheels too big for daily driving duty. If I want a track car, I'll build one that isn't compromised by street duty. Hopefully, they'll be some stupid optional "upgrade" and they're not needed to clear larger brakes. I do like the exhaust change, though—never liked the center exhaust neither aesthetically nor how it hobbles installing a hitch. Hope the news about the 2.0 is correct.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts