Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just applied a flash tune from stratified, for a catless dp and an intake. I drove it very light for the first few days and today I just tried wot in 2nd and 3rd. I then realized in third gear the car accelerates normally but then when the rpms get around 3.5-4K I notice like a sputtering in the power. It lets off and then continues again like 3-4 times. This really scared me so I’m trying to figure out what the cause of this is but I have no codes and I didn’t datalog it but I may soon if I can’t get any answers. I’ve seen posts about the plugs being the issue and I hope that that will be a fix. I have a bov, intake, and catless dp installed. Stock plugs with 80k miles and I doubt they’ve ever been changed so would it be a good idea to switch to 1-step colder plugs because I think it is recommended. This issue also never happened with Cobb ots stage 1 tune or the stock tune so from what I’m understanding the strat tune is causing the problem. Sorry if this is in the wrong section. Let me know if anyone’s got ideas

·
Registered
84 Posts
Would bet that the plug gap is too wide to jump with the increased cylinder pressure you've got now with the tune. With 80k on the stock plugs, it's Al but guaranteed that they're much wider than the .026"-.028" recommended with a tune.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay Is it safe to drive if I baby it until I get new plugs? Or should I switch back to the stock tune. I’m also seeing that my mpg has dropped since I’ve owned the car which is a sign of bad plugs I think.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just do your best to stay out of boost until you either re-gap them to the correct value or get new plugs. I wouldn't drive it long-term on them, though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just do your best to stay out of boost until you either re-gap them to the correct value or get new plugs. I wouldn't drive it long-term on them, though.
Okay I’m getting the plugs tomorrow but I’m probably just going to switch back to stock tune just to be safe unless I can get them out and gap them today.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Data log and send to Stratified. What map slot are you using? Are you in a low boost slot and hitting the boost limit?

or on the other end, are you breaking traction when this happens and the power is getting cut? Do you have sport mode on or off?

are you monitoring anything on your AP when this happens?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Data log and send to Stratified. What map slot are you using? Are you in a low boost slot and hitting the boost limit?

or on the other end, are you breaking traction when this happens and the power is getting cut? Do you have sport mode on or off?

are you monitoring anything on your AP when this happens?
I would data log but I don’t want any damage happening when I data log since I already know this problem exsists I wanna be easy on the throttle. It almost feels like I’m redlining at 4K rpm it’s like boost is being cut but I’m not sure I’ll have to watch the ap since I’ll probably have to datalog it. I have traction control on but I get to alert that tires are spinning but I do get it in second gear when I floor it but i don’t reach that high of boost like I do in 3rd gear so idk im hoping it’s the spark plugs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: just went back to the stock tune for a little drive and everything seems fine so I’m thinking it must be the plugs with the tune. Feels like I’m towing a trailer without the tune lmao but at least i know it’s tune relatated

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Update: just went back to the stock tune for a little drive and everything seems fine so I’m thinking it must be the plugs with the tune. Feels like I’m towing a trailer without the tune lmao but at least i know it’s tune relatated
Have you talked to your tuner yet? That would be my first step if i thought something was wrong with the tune.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you talked to your tuner yet? That would be my first step if i thought something was wrong with the tune.
Yeah talking to the tuner, he said my plugs should be gapped at .026 and I’ve never changed or checked them so he said they’re prolly over gapped and he recommended 1-step colder

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Somehow my plugs are gapped at .040 lol? Should’ve checked these when I went for my first oil change and they said that they pulled out the stock air filter on 75k miles

1 - 11 of 11 Posts