Ford Focus ST Forum banner

161 - 167 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
One thing I noticed on the last sputtering occasion besides the ambient temp being above 80 F was my fuel level around 1/4 tank full, I think the common factors have been below half tank fuel level, hot ambient & engine temps, started happening while aggressive driving / WOT high boost and continued into light throttle lower speed low boost conditions.

Does the purge valve issue have any other symptoms besides a deformation in the tank and throwing a code?

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
I think I'll be doing a cylinder leak down and coolant pressure test along with another boost leak test probably this weekend just to rule out those things.

·
Super Moderator
7,507 Posts
One thing I noticed on the last sputtering occasion besides the ambient temp being above 80 F was my fuel level around 1/4 tank full, I think the common factors have been below half tank fuel level, hot ambient & engine temps, started happening while aggressive driving / WOT high boost and continued into light throttle lower speed low boost conditions.

Does the purge valve issue have any other symptoms besides a deformation in the tank and throwing a code?
A bad evap purge valve can cause several fuel system issues, but, my feeble old mind can't recall them all. I'm willing to bet the google can though.

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
1,079 Posts
A bad evap purge valve can cause several fuel system issues, but, my feeble old mind can't recall them all. I'm willing to bet the google can though.
What he said ☝

Reactions: 20focusSTdriver17

·
1,512 Posts
This may be an irrelevant suggestion but any chance this type of issue could be caused by bad electrical grounds?
Absolutely. As a working circuit warms up, resistance throughout the circuit increases naturally. Now if theres some green cheese or carbon tracking hiding somewhere at a ground point or connection, thats only going to add to it.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Oh trust me ladies & gents i've googled it all...;)

I was wondering if there was something that would be outside the normally listed symptoms for the purge valve since my issue resembles some of them but does not fit all main criteria and cannot be replicated on demand.

Coolant pressure test was normal, no leak

Block test was normal, no leaks

cylinder leak down test will have to wait because none of the big 3 parts stores (autozone, advance, oreily) had one as a loaner tool so i may just buy one at harbor freight.

I bought 2 more bottles of Heet so I will try that route again since it does seem to be diminishing the sputter very slowly, but this could also be weather related since it is getting cooler.

Grounding is something I need to check but i still go back to the issue starting at a track day after fueling up which wasnt my 1st first track day with the car so its previously been through that type of driving experience without issues.

161 - 167 of 167 Posts